OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CJ, Winter is coming and I have been to Michigan in the winter, there is only "OVER-SNOWN". If the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association has it's way, you will never be able to swing a metal detector anywhere around it. It is not that I am against preserving sites, but it should be available for use by all, including amateur archaeologist/curators, looking to unlock the past, using metal detectors.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry wrote "Back in the late '70s, I put a burglar alarm in a museum curator's house. His attic had enough "stuff" to fill a standard living room. He didn't BUY that stuff. ╦╦Ç"

It made think about some of the most sought after "National Treasures" in America that now sits locked away in vaults and can never be seen, except by the owner. He/she can't show it to just anyone, can't sell it to just anyone or risk loosing it and going to prison. I have seen this happen a few times during my life. By the time it is done none of them are winners. You can't take it with you and you can't leave it to anyone when you go. The only winners are the lawyers.

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from there and I found nothing but still keeping hopes up. I mean over-grown as in, you can't swing a detector at all in the area but I did some scouting and found a few open areas with younger looking foliage. The article stated "just east of the entrance" so deciphering "just" is a bit difficult. I had my kiddos with me and they're about as interested in this as a mule is in a branding iron so I was limited not only by that but patience as well, electronics have clouded their minds I think. I'm going to keep going back until maybe one time I'll hone in on the exact location.

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the hill I do believe... It was staring me in the face actually. I think it's someones front/side yard. It's just and I mean right outside the entrance if it is in fact the correct hill. Now I think I either have to ask the land owner or determine what is park property and private. The bad part is it's right on the main road so it may be a lost cause, I'm not positive.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found the hill I do believe... It was staring me in the face actually. I think it's someones front/side yard. It's just and I mean right outside the entrance if it is in fact the correct hill. Now I think I either have to ask the land owner or determine what is park property and private. The bad part is it's right on the main road so it may be a lost cause, I'm not positive.

Township ,then township section ; once identified can then be used to locate property owner on/ in a plat-book.
Some libraries have plat books and the township office will / should have such a book and it shows rough property boundaries.
They can be outdated. Updates are every few ,to several years.
The tax assessor knows who pays the taxes on each parcel though....

A gamble when approaching an owner. Do you tip your hand expecting the owner to know the history?
Stating an interest in history and the site being dated as old enough to produce a coin older than yourself might be enough. The owner might say they know the history.
Then there is the potential of having to negotiate how to share finds.

Being near a road is no deal breaker. The road may have existed back then too. Buggies ect. parked in the shade near road in summer may account for drops. More so when snow was on the ground and things fell. Folks waiting for a ride ,or waiting on riders....
If you have permission ,( or detecting is allowed) have at it during low traffic times.

cj74

Sep 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to look into it on Tuesday morning when I have more time. Thanks for the info relevent.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Relevent, it is obvious you know your way around treasure hunting.

Maybe someday.
More looking than finding here.
Got the going around (close , but no cigar) on a couple minor treasures part down though...Time is not always a friend when things and possession get changed on sites.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Township ,then township section ; once identified can then be used to locate property owner on/ in a plat-book.
Some libraries have plat books and the township office will / should have such a book and it shows rough property boundaries.
They can be outdated. Updates are every few ,to several years.
The tax assessor knows who pays the taxes on each parcel though....

A gamble when approaching an owner. Do you tip your hand expecting the owner to know the history?
Stating an interest in history and the site being dated as old enough to produce a coin older than yourself might be enough. The owner might say they know the history.
Then there is the potential of having to negotiate how to share finds.

Being near a road is no deal breaker. The road may have existed back then too. Buggies ect. parked in the shade near road in summer may account for drops. More so when snow was on the ground and things fell. Folks waiting for a ride ,or waiting on riders....
If you have permission ,( or detecting is allowed) have at it during low traffic times.
Another way to get CURRENT info on property lines and owners is to befriend a real estate broker in the area. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Once orientated , old maps can be located for the section.
Southern Mi. has more old maps than northern. At least it seems that way.
In my area ( though I am no hot shot a locating them) little exists until post Civil War settlement.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PTSD bad. Very seldom go to bed before 3, 4, or even 5. Unless I have Ambien. ╦╦Ç

Same here except Ambien no longer works for me. I believe they changed it because of people eating and driving in their sleep. I suffer from an anxiety and insomnia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread