OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brent, I am not really up on Canada, but I have a friend up that way. We have a conference set for tonight. Actually in about two hours, I will see if he knows anything. A long time ago I was scheduled to go on a search in Nova Scotia, but had to cancel. I have another friend who does under water recoveries all over the world, if I can track him down, I am sure he should know. Don't know he will say or not.

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree. there are so many treasure maps proliferating here and each one of them claimed their maps are true. in the philippines, there are many scammers here and all of those maps are fake. for how can an ordinary filipino get hold of the said map. authentic maps must come from the japanese themselves. and all of the authentic maps are closely guarded secrets with their lives.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
i agree. there are so many treasure maps proliferating here and each one of them claimed their maps are true....

In another post, you alluded to treasure hunts you had financial stake in. And you had said that the source-of-info of the persons you were financing, was a guarded secret. Ie.: they were not telling you the source of their info. Then seeing as how you are here acknowledging that many "maps" are hokey bologna, then: How do you know that the dreamy-eyed TH'rs you financed were not simply relying on this very-same telephone-game "treasure-map" bologna ?

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was referring to the map sir tom...

we always hit treasure vaults tom. we know it is the treasure vault because it vanishes before our eyes after hearing a loud crack .there is a mini earthquake and the sounds of falling bars. we dont rely on maps. maps are fabricated and peddled by scammers.

we came to a point that we no longer hit and miss on locating our treasure. the question was always how to recover it without the cement vault sliding. can you not see the point i am always driving you at? i said we were not engaging in a trial and error basis in locating our treasure. when you have encountered vanishing cement vaults and with the earthquake that follows and sounds of falling bars for more than 20 times and almost 30, are we still guessing where the treasure vault is? hell no. my friend was always sure in what he did and i was always there, unlike other keyboard warriors who are just sitting on their laptop trying to discredit everyone here and always imputing malice to every filipino coming here in this forum with a sinister purpose of just asking for financing. i am not. i said i am not here to engage in treasure hunting again. i have learned my lesson very well already.

our experiment were always how to recover it without sliding. sad to say, we never figured that out . it was always the sliding , and the earthquake, and the falling bars. i dont know how to figure that out. it was good i ran out of money and my friend left for abroad that i was forced to get the yamashita treasure bug out of my system for good.

i am no believer of maps tom. most especially with those that are for sale. to tell u the truth, we have never relied on maps even once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brent nothing yet from Canada, I have e-mailed the one who would know, but he has not responded. He could be on a job now, he use to send us pictures from all over the world, but wouldn't tell us where he was.

Renantagum, I know back in the 1950's a lot of treasure was found by divers in one of the bays. The last time I was in the Philippines was 1965, and when we left the bay was full on empty beer cans, with the top of a rusted WWII ship in the middle. I believe in your man. People around the world call Water Witches to find water, and they do. They feel the vibrations and the water is there. I would guess your man is a Treasure Witch. If you want or don't want to believe it is up to you. The guy who drilled my well had a degree and hit water in one try. I like some clues with a bits of credibility.

Tom, glad to see you, keep it up.

Kingskid, what are you into, i would guess Outlaw treasure. I think my great-grand uncle Ed Jennings, was running around that area, but as far as I know, never passed anything information on. He was a layer I mean lawyer, same thing and I would not trust the information anyway. Have you heard of anything in your neck of the woods that sounds good. I am sure if you gave Tom and I a clue, we could shed some light on it. Tom deals with cold hard facts, i like following up on old myths. I like the telephone game. Sure the last person has it totally wrong, but if ask the first they have most of the facts.

Before Katrina I had a collection of old family Bibles, You never know what you will find in them. I would everything hand-written in them and attempt to find a family member to take them.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, "example of "I have a map": You know how there's hardcore believers in the Lost Dutchman mine story, right? And guys are always convinced they're onto something blah blah. Well one time a fellow showed up to talk with other hardcore believers, boasting that "he had a map". But he was clamming up and wouldn't show them. Yet boy-howdy he talked up his map, boasting that he was on the verge of finding the vast treasures, etc...."

I had a map to The Lost Dutchman Mine, that I made and sold on eBay, along with instructions on how to antique it and find a big rounded rock, paint it with gold spray paint and put in a shadow box. I made a small fortune on it. I wish i still had one of those maps.

P.S. Just like Julia Thomas did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reasoning or psychic powers? I have found many things in my life with reasoning and luck. As a police officer, I had the best personal solve rate in my department. The Chief Of Detectives ran the day shift and had the most men. My partners and i had the least, three, on graveyard. Swing had the second most. The COD decided to have a contest to see who could have the most solves each month. Month one, we had twice as many then solves as the other two combined. Month two, we had three times as many as they had. He stopped the contest.

Psychic, Luck, no most crimes committed at night maybe, but it was reasoning. The three of us all had degrees in Criminal Justice, true but we reasoned it out. Method, motive, means and opportunity. We went to the scene and took the reports and did the follow up. Over time we all became Captains and left law enforcement. One joined the military and was assigned to the Pentagon and was there on 911, he is now retired. The other became the department Chief, left when the the new administration took over, but continued in another department until he retired. I went on in the to treasure hunting.

To the meat of the mater: A girl went missing in the area where I lived. She left work late at nite and should have driven straight home, but never arrived. It was storming when she left work. After twenty-four hours her car had not found. The main road was closed and there were two other roads she could have taken, the closes one would have led to a bridge and even though I was no longer a police officer I was going to check that bridge. A psychic from California called and said she would be found in water, and she was. Am I a psychic, no because I used reasoning. Could the psychic really a psychic or did he just see same news reports, as I did to make a calculated guess. At least I figured out what bridge she could have crashed at and the car would have to be in the water in order for no one to see it.

If I was a psychic I would be happy just winning the lotto, one... in awhile.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... we always hit treasure vaults tom. we know it is the treasure vault because it vanishes before our eyes ....

I am of the opinion that whatever concrete thing you hit (and then lost) could have been something else other than treasure. Ie.: If it were in fact a man-made object, then some other man made object that was serving another purpose at one time.

And no, I am not questioning your sincerity of believing. And no, I am not saying you're trying to drum up financing. And no, I am not saying that you believe in the 100+ maps that circulate.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... i like following up on old myths......

This is a good point to arise out of the discussion. That you acknowledge that the genre/type of tips you speaking of (to pass on to the next generation) is of the genre of "old myths". So long as we acknowledge/agree that they are of this type and class.

..... They feel the vibrations and the water is there. I would guess your man is a Treasure Witch. .....

And it is "telling" that you lend credence to this method of TH'ing: Dowsing to find treasure. Not discussing water here (save that for another thread). Only in-so-far as it relates to treasure. If I've understood your post correctly, you believe in the validity of this. Ok, that should be another indication of the genre of tips that you are passing on.

...... I like the telephone game. Sure the last person has it totally wrong, but if ask the first they have most of the facts.....

Ahhh, but here's where the devil is in the details: If there is "no treasure", then it doesn't matter HOW much "fact from fiction is sorted out". It doesn't matter HOW far back in the telephone game you go. The fact would remain (in that case), that there is no treasure.

I will give you a humorous example in my next post of this "telephone game" and how it wouldn't make any difference how far back into the game that one goes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Example of "The Telephone game" :

A buddy of mine was working a sidewalk demolition project that was going on in his city's old-town district. Each day, the construction workers would tear out a half block of the downtown commercial district. And then replace it with new walks all in the same day. And then a few days later, would progress to the next section of the block, and so forth. Hence my friend could NOT wait till the end of the day (5pm when the workers cut out). Because otherwise it would already be laid with new concrete. He literally had to go during their lunch hour, to get onto the dirt (yesteryear wooden sidewalk zones).

And he was getting seateds, barbers, V's, tokens, etc.... However, as you can imagine, it took delicate discretion to not get booted (stepping over the ribbon and past the orange cones, right in the middle of broad daylight busy street). So he learned to "grease the wheels" of the construction workers. Getting on their good side by passing out common V nickels and IH's :) After the workers curiosity was satisfied, they would then turn a blind eye to him being there :) And each day, when they'd return from lunch, they would go to see what his latest finds of each day was. And he would pass out another coin or two to keep up his good graces .

One day along with a few common coins and whatzits, my friend found a small owl-shaped amulet. About the size of a chess piece. It was gold in color, and had red jewel looking things for the owl's eyes. When it came time to show the workers his daily finds, he pulled that out of his apron and mused "Might be gold". (The workers were amazed!). And then, pointing to the 2 red jewels in the eyes he mused "might be rubies" (again, the workers were besides themselves with fascination). And then my friend mused "probably 1800's" (since that was the age of some of the coins coming from this block-section).

That night my friend went home and sorted, cleaned and studied his finds. When he got to the owl charm thing, he got it under better light and magnification. Turns out it was only gold plated. Not gold. And the red jewel eyes ? Just glass chips, not rubies. Turns out it was just 1920s costume jewelry junk, so he promptly threw it in the trash can.

The next day, he was back out where they had progressed to another section of block. As he was hunting, he could see a worker in the distance eyeing him intently. The worker got off his tractor and approached closer, studying my friend. My friend could see that it was a new worker, that he had not previously seen on any days. Eventually the worker got brave enough to approach my friend, asking "what have you found?" As it turns out: My friend had not found anything good this day so far. After telling the worker "nothing good so far", the worker launched into a story about how the previous day, a guy had found "gold coin(s)" !

My friend was floored! He assumed that he must have left too early. And that apparently someone must've came after him, and found gold coins(s)! He pressed the worker for details. The worker was utterly convinced that a gold coin was found the prior day, and it was "from the 1800's", etc..... My friend was wondering who came behind him, cursing his bad luck for apparently missing something good, leaving too early, or whatever.

As he and the worker conversed about the "gold coin(s)", a curious word slipped out of the worker's mouth: "owl". IMMEDIATELY my friend knew that the worker was talking about HIM ! So he corrected the worker saying "No, That was me". And "no, the owl wasn't gold, it was only gold plated". And "...No, none of the coins were gold". BUT THE WORKER WOULD NOT BE DISSUADED. He assumed that some other metal detector guy must've arrived later and found a gold coin. Because you see: He had it on good authority: He heard it this morning around the water cooler, as the other workers talked of all the finds a guy with a detector was making the previous day.

Now obviously you see that the man mis-understood his buddies. He was mixing up terms and words. But think about it: If that man's memoirs were written down, and 100 yrs. from now someone looking at old newspaper clippings, or reading a diary entry, reads about this, it's going to seem PRETTY BULLET PROOF TRUE. Right ? Hard to argue with eye-witnesses right ? Sounds like someone , 100 yrs. from now , should tear out the sidewalks to "get the rest of the gold", right ? After all, those workers were duly appointed by the city to be there, authorized, etc... Right ? Thus indisputable, eh ?

And it won't matter how much facts you find in this game. Eg.: the names of the workers, their social security #'s, the dates of the sidewalk tearouts, the reliability of their nature and sincerities, etc..... You can sort fact from fiction, and trace back the telephone game all you want. But the fact remains: If there is no treasure, then there is no treasure.

This is what humors me when discussing the camp-fire lore caliber genre treasure legends. The believer will admit (if you press them) that it's possible that there is fiction (embellishment over time) that could have crept into the story. They will admit (if you press them) that telephone game gets involved. But they will be quick to point out (as you have done here), that it's "merely a matter of sorting fact from fiction". Sure. But this fails to take into account that perhaps there was never a treasure to begin with. What I mean is, the catchy "fact from fiction" line simply assumes that a treasure is, of necessity, there to find. Says who ? Perhaps the entire thing just has more plausible explanations from the git-go, and no treasure necessarily exists.

See ?

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they were excavating in New Orleans for the Super Dome, many cashes of treasure were found and publicized. True. When they were bringing in land fill to build the new running track at City Park in New Orleans, a worker found a pre-Civil War era silver dollar and took it to a coin collector and sold it. The collector called us (my cousin and I) one of his main suppliers and he told us the story. We worked the ground after the crews left and found many more. We attempted to locate the source but the trucks were coming in from all over. We had to be satisfied with what we could find each evening. $172.00 face value. We sold them to the dealer at the silver spot market and everyone was happy. True it was not a fortune but it was a win, non the less.

I know where a Confederate Treasure is. I had given the information to another treasure hunter along with the names of people who could verify the story. Hurricane Katrina came right after that and I have no way of knowing if he followed up on it. If he did, there is no way he could have found all of it, as people who knew could only find a few coins at a time. Spread that out over the thousands of coins and the area involved, and you would never be allowed to use any machinery to recover it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
When they were excavating in New Orleans for the Super Dome, many cashes of treasure were found and publicized. True. ....

Old town urban demolition sites are the "last frontier" in virgin ground hunting. Some of my best old coin count days come from being in such sites. But the window-of-time can be slim. Ie.: the delicate timing of being there right when the old building (or sidewalk , or park turf, etc...) is scraped off, yet 1) before they scrape *too* deep, and 2) before fill-dirt is added.

Also this type of hunting is not for pansy wussies. If you're afraid of fences, and hunting at night, then forget it. All demolition/construction sites nowadays have obligatory fences around them. Back when I first started in the late 1970s, they had nothing but a few orange cones and some ribbon. But in our litigious age we live in, (and thefts of const. equipment?), they started to get fences in the 1980s. And you can ask permission till you're blue in the face and guess what the answer will be ?

So it's a type hunting venue that you have to have ... uh ... balls. That's what God invented Cat-keys after all for :)

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another one. While recovering form my injuries from sticking my nose where it did not belong, VIETNAM. I remember when it was two words, but when I was there it was actually three. Viet F...... Nam, anyway I degrees. Late 1960's, I was working for my step-father doing painting and general reconstruction work on an old house in New Orleans, one of the men pulled off a baseboard and found a stash of $20.00 gold coins. I think that is was the point where I was really hooked. I always check the baseboards, never found anything there, but someone, someday may. In San Antonio I purchased a $35.00 Jetco M.D. went back to my home on a Louisiana Plantation site and started working the area. Within the first thirty minutes I found a gold hunter case pocket watch. The face was cracked and the works were rusted. I then purchased an $85.00, Jecto and located the well near the remains of the house, in the woods across the street from my house. I checked the collapsed well and got a very strong reading and dug and dug, it was an anvil I took it home and put it in the garage. I was still there when I sold the house. I also found lots of railroad spikes. Research showed that a railroad track ran there about a hundred years before.

During one of my stays in a hospital in New Orleans I met a man that lived near that house. We became very close friends and he showed me Spanish silver dollars from the 1700's that he had found near there. my cousin and I made several trips to the site, but never found anything but big alligators. One man with a metal detector got a strong signal in the area and dug until the hole started filling up with water. He hired a crew to continue, they dredged the hole and brought up an old anchor. He through it into the bayou and left.

Tom, why do you do this to me, I want to go treasure hunting again.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Tom, why do you do this to me, I want to go treasure hunting again.

haha, well at 56 yrs. old, I recall the "adults" I detected with back when I was in my 20s. In the 1980s. And some of them are gone now. Others are in their 70s or 80's and not hunting much at all. So a part of me starts to think "Gee, I better get more detecting done now". My knees are already telling me I'm not in my 20's anymore, doh!

I have a giant list of places I eventually intend to check out. And in the old days, such a list was quickly depleted, d/t too much time and energy on my hands. Now I notice that such a list takes longer to "chalk off". So I sort of have to put work and family on hold, and (at the risk or irresponsibility) MAKE time to chase the latest research spot.

Just discovered a spot where a few seateds arose, and is brimming with targets. We have no doubt found a virgin site. But ... it's a long drive, and my buddy and I chalk it up to "let's wait till the fall/winter foilage die-off when the grass heights will be lower". And the other part of me is thinking "wait a minute, I'll be a year older then". Doh!

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick note then off to therapy:
In our last group we had a millionaire, best M.D.'s best contacts. We went to places you would never get invited to. Gave a top of the line M.D. to one of the members and went off to live with a doper daughter and got murdered.

Last edited:

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 45th Johnny i would love you help finding any kind of civil war or outlaws den or treasure in rankin ms or heck even old native American artifacts thanks in advance

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on an Indian mound, but you can't dig here, my wife will shoot you. Indian mounds are easy to find. They are on top of just about any natural rise of ground in the state that has or had water for transportation and water to drink. Ours has all that, the mound is high in the middle with a raised ring on the outside, like a bulls eye. My brothers looks like a deer's head from the air, some think it is a horse's head.
Civil War, along the old railroad tracks, if you can find the, especially at water crossings. I have battlefield maps of Vicksburg as well as all of the CW, but the troops usually followed the railroad and made camp at streams.
Outlaws, Adams, Calhoun, Claiborne, Green, Hancock, Harrison, Sunflower and Warren Counties.
Let me know what tickles your fancy and I will crack the books and files for you,
Thanks for making my morning a little bit brighter.

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir any of those i perfer in rankin or hinds county since my stroke they wont let me drive far..I had to retire from law enforcement and the state after 26 yrs i miss it..alot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread