jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, the Sir Francis Drake legend, eh ? I'm going to go out on a limb here and surmise that the caliber of "tips" you are wanting to pass on to the next generation is the "lore" and "legend" caliber stuff. Eh ? And sure "maps" for all-such campfire stories no doubt circulate. (Lost Dutchman, etc....)

But I do notice that in your OP you say you've had successes. Did you mean caches ? Or were you referring to individual coin-hunting ? If you meant caches: Were any found chasing these fabled old-time stories? Or were they just personal local history for your area ? Eg.: Tips from the next-of-kin, etc.... Or perhaps ones you found digging larger signals around old cellar holes or whatever.

Tom your Pushing your Luck !

You know how I feel about Nay sayers on Tnet.
especially when the Comments start looking like Personal attacks
on others opinions.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I live on an Indian mound, but you can't dig here, my wife will shoot you. Indian mounds are easy to find. They are on top of just about any natural rise of ground in the state that has or had water for transportation and water to drink. Ours has all that, the mound is high in the middle with a raised ring on the outside, like a bulls eye. My brothers looks like a deer's head from the air, some think it is a horse's head.
Civil War, along the old railroad tracks, if you can find the, especially at water crossings. I have battlefield maps of Vicksburg as well as all of the CW, but the troops usually followed the railroad and made camp at streams.
Outlaws, Adams, Calhoun, Claiborne, Green, Hancock, Harrison, Sunflower and Warren Counties.
Let me know what tickles your fancy and I will crack the books and files for you,
Thanks for making my morning a little bit brighter.

Thanks for the warning about your Mrs.!
If I'm caught ,I'll pretend to be doing dishes. That should delay a shot and give me time to come up with a better strategy.....

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Tom is on board with everything, he was just trying to keep me straight. I was never able to find that map.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Tom is on board with everything, he was just trying to keep me straight. I was never able to find that map.

Thanks :thumbsup: Being here so long, I notice members that seem to have a Negative opinion on Treasures,
of all ages. I'm ok with members not Believing certain Stories. There are a Few I don't
believe in . Mainly the ones hocus Pocus is said to be involved in creating.
But members who seem to doubt everything.
Even New Treasures that people sell clues for. & makes what I perceive as Unwelcome hints.
I feel it's my duty here to give reminders :laughing7:

we had a member here years ago. He always Went on the attack
accusing members who believed in big treasures of being scammers :censored:

I really don't want a repeat of those days here.

I should add Tom's a Good Contributor here.
Good to see that Maybe I over reacted :coffee2:

Last edited:

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet yall stayed busy in Brownsville every time our interdiction unit saw a truck from Brownsville ..it had dope in it lol

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never got to Brownsville or the Keys, that was just our jurisdiction. We were out of New Orleans, but we had great radios. Jackson 1.png Jackson 2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, sorry I just wrote a long story about my wife and I's law enforcement history and deleted it my mistake. Maybe someday I will just write a book about it.

Short story: We were commissioned by Customs operating out of New Orleans. Wife was one of the first women in enforcement, St Louis, Louisiana State, and eventually federal. I was local assigned to Customs and DEA and ran UC Opps. I got POed at the politics and went private, and traveled the country.

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was nothing as fancy and as interesting as yours im sure..i was local and state then emergency management but i think i liked it most lol

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: I received a phone call from a prospecting club member who heard this from another member. There is a rumored cache of gold along the Yellowstone River between Billings and Laurel. We do local lost treasure books and so far haven't come across anything on it. We did find with each book never before published lost treasure stories. The above would be within Yellowstone County if it happened, any more info on it?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost forgot the state, Montana! Jeff the moderator knows me from years ago. Lost treasure stories have a good market with the tourist industry. If you fly into Billings stop in the gift shop they carry mine there. Don't have to hunt them to collect!

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiredman, welcome to the club. Sounds like the"Lost Horse-Thief Cache." I collect stores and maps. Grandfather was a riverboat captain and I grew up hearing pirate stories, and looking for treasure. By the time I was six, my cousin and I had dug more treasure then we knew. No metal detectors, just luck, but we did not know it was valuable until it was too late. We were looking for gold and silver, not really old war junk.

P.S. Try "Buried Treasure In The U.S." Thomas Penfield 1954

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Not horse thief cache, this one I got called about I never heard of before. I would hate to think I missed one less than 12 miles away. Between Terry and Penfield they had over 100 known. So far with 4 released books for the state, I believe I am over 750 pages.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I might get that one or dig here for extra research stuff. From these briefs we hit the old newspaper files. Lots of good reading in them.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My book was almost 300 pages, it was about Treasure in Louisiana, (go figure) and I did a history term paper on the San Saba, got an A+, the teacher was from Texas. I knew a lot about that treasure and another close by.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
At my work I have to pick up and take folks to the airport. I tell them about a fellow who stole from the railroad and turned himself in. But he was $994 short, I figure it was the silver. But on the way I say we are about 100 yards of where it is at. Then which book of mine the story is in and they carry them at the airport. I get some tips most of the time, either for the story or to shut up, haven't been able to tell yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread