Serious Treasure Hunters Only

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Alpha105 (does he still post here?), JimB, TimC, and I hunted a yard of a WI home that was the childhood home of Charles Giteau(?) the one who shot Pres. McKinley. The home was in a local history book. The home still stands with additions. In the old pic was an old tree that no longer stood at the time we hunted. I found a V nickel and we found some farm junk on the grounds. The location of the nickel was found through pure research (old pic). I posted this find(s) here years ago. ╦╦Ç

Smart one using old photos, I cover that in the research section of my metal detecting book

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did a quick and dirty look at the satellite view, modern map, and early topo maps of that area. Unfortunately, it appears to be all built up with modern structures, road, parking lot, etc.... A few possible vacant terra firma zones at the northern dead end of Birds Way ?

The more ideal locations are when all human influence stopped after, say, the turn of century, or whatever. But if I ever got up that way, I'd certainly give it a try.

For cache stories, I would scrutinize the source. Because as you know, many such stories can be nothing more than fanciful legends. But I'll take a look at what you send. Thanx.
NOT a cache but accident crossing a creek. Stage was overwhelmed by swift high water. Sources to be searched would be Wells Fargo and a certain local paper of 1867. Not to worry. I'll run it past you to see what you think. Tnx. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A local md'r I used to hunt with back in the very early 1980s here, moved up to the Sacramento area in the mid 1980s. That was about the time the nugget craze was beginning to hit full bore up there. After a year or two, he totally gave up coins/relics, and is now almost strictly nuggets. He's about 12 yrs. older than me. So that would put him about late 60s or pushing 70 by now. He still gets out way back into the boondocks in their quest for virgin tailings piles. Haven't hunted with him for a few years. I think he's currently in the Jackson or Mountain Ranch area.

He tells me that in their quest to find the nuggets, going way back into the old mining districts miles back on dirt roads, that they have frequently come across old ruins. And evidences of old mining camp tent cities. Like one time in the 1980s, they came across a flat, next to some mine workings, that they could tell had been the camp zone. And there was still bottles right on top of the ground ! They gathered up the so-called opium bottles, and told themselves "we ought to detect here for coins". And were going to do it some day "when they had time". But they are sseeoo busy going for nuggets, that they just never end up getting around to coin hunting these days. I guess nuggets are kind of addicting, eh ?

And you've seen Ron's videos haven't you ? He's from the Roseville/Folsom area. He's gotten gold coins, seateds etc.... by searching the old miner-tent city zones.
SEVERAL diggings located here east of Murphys. Some are not recorded in the county records. I posted a vid on an area containing three closed mines on a neighbor's 40. I will soon do another on two more adits in the same gully (gulch). This particular gulch goes down to the Collierville power plant at the end of Nine Mile Rd. (Clark Flat). Other claims and camps pointed out to me by other neighbors. I've got work to do. Ron who? I'll take a look. Been on You Tube reviewing old George Carlin skits lately. FUNNY! ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a few to get you started:

VERY nice! (haven't looked at vids yet). Agn, nice. I guess I will just do the historian/salesman shtick down Birds Way to see if any will bite. Some of the buildings are period so the ground will be too. ╦╦Ç

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I just made money off Tom's video! I am at work on the clock watching it! Thanks Tom keep them coming. You guys are great.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY nice! (haven't looked at vids yet). Agn, nice. I guess I will just do the historian/salesman shtick down Birds Way to see if any will bite. Some of the buildings are period so the ground will be too. ╦╦Ç
No trickery there. They were coming out of undug ground! I want MORE! ╦╦Ç

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I just made money off Tom's video! I am at work on the clock watching it! Thanks Tom keep them coming. You guys are great.

haha. Well just click on the name of that youtube author, and it will bring up a list of all his other videos. Most of them are in the Sacramento foothills. A few from his business travels back east (like his slave tag one).

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of YouTube a fellow there stole my metal detecting book cover and description and offers a free Kindle, if one fills out the survey. Course they never get a Kindle just tellamarketer calls. I figure it is free advertising.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, I tried to take a picture of the site on Google Maps, but I could not. The second one you posted was in the wrong direction, you need to go away from the river. In New Orleans all or the streets are in the wrong directions. North Rampart Street runs East to West etc... The area behind the refinery is on the New Orleans East side. North side of the refinery. It has been so long since I had a map of the area, but I will try again to find one.

Later.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of YouTube a fellow there stole my metal detecting book cover and description and offers a free Kindle, if one fills out the survey. Course they never get a Kindle just tellamarketer calls. I figure it is free advertising.
It could turn around and bite you in the ass too..... if you become associated with the telemarketers.... by proxy. ╦╦Ç

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fraud and corruption which are crimes.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, I tried to take a picture of the site on Google Maps, but I could not. The second one you posted was in the wrong direction, you need to go away from the river. In New Orleans all or the streets are in the wrong directions. North Rampart Street runs East to West etc... The area behind the refinery is on the New Orleans East side. North side of the refinery. It has been so long since I had a may of the area, but I will try again to find one.

Later.
No need for a pic. Bring up the area onto your monitor. Right click the upper left choices until you find save image as... Put the pic on the desktop. Open with paint. Once in paint resize to about 25%. That will make the properties small enough to use in a treasurenet post. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, I tried to take a picture of the site on Google Maps, but I could not. The second one you posted was in the wrong direction, you need to go away from the river. In New Orleans all or the streets are in the wrong directions. North Rampart Street runs East to West etc... The area behind the refinery is on the New Orleans East side. North side of the refinery. It has been so long since I had a may of the area, but I will try again to find one.

Later.
I use Google Earth, not Google Maps. ╦╦Ç

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I am sorry, I am looking for "Serious Treasure Hunters". I had a map, and they are still out there, I lost mine in Hurricane Katrina. It was a cryptic map that pointed to the general location. I no longer live in California, and have no interest in going back.

P.S. the only reason I "LIKE" a post is not because I "LIKE not reading it again."
We all are serious treasure hunters seeking buried treasures.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, I tried to take a picture of the site on Google Maps, but I could not. The second one you posted was in the wrong direction, you need to go away from the river. In New Orleans all or the streets are in the wrong directions. North Rampart Street runs East to West etc... The area behind the refinery is on the New Orleans East side. North side of the refinery. It has been so long since I had a map of the area, but I will try again to find one.

Later.

Yeah I'm confused. Do you mean this area? IMG_0002.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry_C, tried print screen but nothing was on my desk top. I will try Google Earth,
Truth, if you go up Jacob to Genie and park at he dead end and cross the canal you will be in the promise land. I Shall Return.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions