Civil War In Mississippi

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grierson's Raiders (USA) moved through Brookhaven, burning the train depot and destroying rolling stock and rails. They moved on down the route of the Illinois Central Railroad. They originally crossed the Pearl River at Georgetown and travelled over to Hazlehurst; burned and destroyed the depot (at Hazlehurst) and a lot of rolling stock and stored cotton and equipment. From Hazlehurst, they moved west to Galatin, then to Centerpoint (later named Glancy) where they camped for a day or 2. Then they cut back over to the Illinois Central rail line south of Hazlehurst at Bahalia (later named Beauregard) to burn the depot there. Then proceeded south to Wesson and Brookhaven. They pretty well destroyed all depots and rolling stock at each stop south of Hazlehurst all the way down to Osakia (misspelled) which is almost at the Mississippi / Louisiana line.

You need to check Grierson's written report as published in the ORs because he names some family named plantations where he and his troops stopped to camp, rest, and scout. The info I've mentioned is pulled strictly from memory and there may be something I've forgotten since I read that report.
U.S. Highway 51 follows the railroad line pretty closely, so if you follow that road, about ALL of the RR stops on that whole route were destroyed by the Yanks.

Good luck and good hunting.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks alot for the info. shortstack. A couple of years ago my wife took me to a very old cemetary on her grandpas property. Its behind a iron fence. It was overgrown with trees and tall grass........no family of the folks buried there. I recall that there were alot of children and babies buried, wifes grandpa told me that at the time the people were buried, maybe early 1800s or late 1700s I dont recall,there was some bad disease or something that killed alot of people.
The headstones were made of some type of metal. As I understand it there were homes and possibly a church nearby but its all gone now. I would never ever hunt on the cemetary part! But I will certainly try to hit the areas relatively close by, maybe figure out where homes may have been. The thing I remember most about the little cemetary was the gate had a brass handle and it wasnt tarnished!
I knew that while in the Army our brass had to be cleaned as it tarnished quite quickly if not taken care of. Maybe it was made from something else I dont know but I remember thinking that it was odd for it to be so shiny. Ann, my wife, tells me it has always been that way. Creepy!!! I took pictures the time I went there. I have recently stored alot of pix on CD as I had so many and odds are they were with those. I will take more today to show everyone what it looks like. Thanks for the link RR. Wish I had enough time to check all those places out!

Goldpenny

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2007
Hey GUY:Even though I live in Texas now,I still own some land in Mississippi.Beaware that they have passed Laws protecting All the old cemetarys own different peoples land.I know you said you were not going yo mess with the cemetary but I don"t know if all the readers know about this law.I heard one of the logging crews tottaly destroyed one and they were making this guy come up with $5oo,ooo dollars to hold to see if the society could find any records to fix things back and he the logger would have to pay for all expenses. Goldpenny

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldpenny said:
Hey GUY:Even though I live in Texas now,I still own some land in Mississippi.Beaware that they have passed Laws protecting All the old cemetery's own different peoples land.I know you said you were not going yo mess with the cemetery but I don"t know if all the readers know about this law.I heard one of the logging crews totally destroyed one and they were making this guy come up with $5oo,ooo dollars to hold to see if the society could find any records to fix things back and he the logger would have to pay for all expenses. Goldpenny

This is a good point. This law came because there was a rash of vandalizing of cemeteries around the state. There was a law already "on the books" that required landowners with landlocked cemeteries on their properties, to allow "reasonable" access to these graveyards for visitation and upkeep. My Mother told me of a family cemetery (some of our ancestors) that was destroyed by the land owner in the process of logging out his place. This person is a member of our family to boot. It's thought that he may have built his new home on the site. I told her that I hope some of our ancestors from that spot "visit" cuz some nights to let him know how disappointed they are with his decision. ;D ;D

I'm almost positive that shanegalang has NO intention to disrespect that old cemetery. He'll probably do just the opposite by cleaning it up.

Hey, Shane. If any of those grave markers mention the CW or Revolutionary war; you might consider reporting them to the local Sons of Confederate Veterans or Daughters of Confederate Veterans or the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). They try to locate and record the locations of vets' graves. They do not try to take over the land or anything like that.

;D ;D ;D I just used "spell check" and it suggested the substitution of "changeling" in place of "shanegalang". Hey, Mark. Out of curiosity, what sources did you base your Spell Check on when setting it up for TNet?

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well guys this is great info. but like I said I would never even attempt to "hunt" that area! I say that because of my moral beliefs, I would never disrespect the dead that way. I have suggested to my grandfather in law that I would like to take a week end up there and clean the little cemetary up. He used to keep it in great shape I'm told, but hes grown quite old and unable to take on this task now. I will see what info. I can get on it and take appropriate action. It would be an awesome task to research it. I'll inform as to what I find out. :)

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shanegalang could you send me a pm and tell me what town you want to hunt in? Or county and i can tell you about some spots, my family is from there and i might be able to really help you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread