Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BullBarrel

Jun 2, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Clyde and Epley R&R Stops

The McCain Library at Southern Miss has several railroad maps of Forrest and Lamar counties from the early 1900s. You can view a list of them here http://www.lib.usm.edu/~archives/howe.htm. There is also a book titled Dummy Lines Through the Longleaf authored by Dr. Gilbert H. Hoffman. I have looked at a copy of this book and it is loaded with information concerning logging operations in south Mississippi. May be a hard one to find though. Dr. Hoffman also wrote Steam Whistles in the Piney Woods: A History of the Sawmills and Logging Railroads of Forrest and Lamar Counties which I have not read. I'm sure it would contain info on the Clyde and Epley stops.

I'm new to the forum, by the way. Been a visitor to the site for awhile but decided to join after noticing that there are a few members from south Mississippi. Hope the info helps.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Clyde and Epley R&R Stops

Thanks for the reply Bull, nice to have you on here. I picked up the Steamwhistle book from the Lamar County Library and going over it. I have not seen the Dummyline book, I will be on the lookout for it. Being this area had so many sawmills and railroad spots in the late 1800's and early 1900's, there should be plenty of places to try. There is a lot of history in South Mississippi but a good bit of it was never recorded, has been lost or just plain paved over. We seem to have a nice group of people in the area. I have met with a few of them and MDed with Salty Dog. We are trying to get hooked up again and hit some new places. Keep in touch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread