Forest Park Finds

lates

Greenie
Nov 22, 2004
midwest
We lived in St. Louis until 83. I know my father found a lot of silver out there. I can remember him talking about it when we where kids. He used an old Whites.....Matt

OP
OP
D

Devildog68

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2006
Thats cool.... I have since found one pin from the worlds fair (Goverment building) and a 1906 Barber dime... It's a fun place to hunt.

lates

Greenie
Nov 22, 2004
midwest
Another place is Chain of Rocks park. I remember him saying he found silver dollars over there. Although I can;t say how good (safe) ther area is anymore-lol Also, check out the park next to St. Jerome school in Bissell Hills. They held the school fairs in this area by the soccer field. Should be a lot of good change over that way.....Matt

C

Cladius Maximus

I'm glad to hear someone is finding stuff in Forest Park! The only stuff I find is "fresh"...either on the surface or 1" down!

St Louis has a ton of old parks...but I bet most have been combed over pretty well.,

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Not from your location, but here in Illinois
they can be very good. Think it would be
the same in your part of the world.

Old homesites, camps, farms, roads, dumps.

Just keep your eyes open and get off the
main paths.

have a good un.................

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the old chain of rocks park is safe if you have someone with you! the park where everyone used to picnic is overgrown with weeds. but there hasnt been anyone up there MDing for a long time. lots of trash being dumped there also.

C

Cladius Maximus

Re: Forest Park Finds - 9-26-06

Went to Forest Park for a few hours today. Found 4 headstamps - all 12 gauge.

3- "REM-UMC Nitro Club"

1- "Winchester Repeater"

All were within a 3' diameter, all about 3" down. Found in an out of the way area of the park. Also found nearby, part of a pin...a bow and arrow about 1.5" long.

Sorry, no pics.
JOhn

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I have hunted Forest Park many times and found lots of coins. There was a guy who belonged to the metal detecting club that meets in Jennings, he only hunted Forest Park and every month he had really old silver coins from the park. I know he found thousands of coins in Forest Park. You need a good detector and a deep detector. The coins are there, believe me.

Relic Rick

Greenie
Oct 22, 2003
Fenton Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
A few years ago while working on the golf course they found some old WWI ordinance that was un-exploded. They use to use the park for military expos. I have not found any good stuff, but it is such a large park, it has to still hold some. the wooded areas, would probably be a good place that probably have not been hunted too hard. I would'nt go alone though.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have heard about the ordnance found on the golf course. The golf course would be a great spot to hunt, but you can't hunt it. Believe me there are many old coins still in the park. Now would be a good time because of the ice storms and many trees down. Surely some old trees were removed in the park, maybe some old bushes, around the bases of these bushes and trees you may be lucky and find coins. I have hunted the woods. The woods and the area behind the art museum used to be full of homo's, there were mattresses and couches in the woods. Still to this day if you ride some of those streets you will see men sitting in their cars, I wonder why? If you really want to find coins just cruise the streets of St. Louis. The city is in its death throes. Everywhere there are vacant homes. For the most part you won't be bothered, so long as you are careful. Go the the areas that are being fixed up, not the areas that are in decline. The areas being fixed up are usually black, but those people are trying to fix up the neighborhoods and don't usually let thugs gain a foothold. Try down around Hyde Park. Freeman Bosley lives right across from the park. He is probably the most prominant black man in the city, that area is pretty safe. I have been there a number of times. No one will bother you. If you see trouble, get out of there.

Itsmy6

Feb 14, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
russau said:
the old chain of rocks park is safe if you have someone with you! the park where everyone used to picnic is overgrown with weeds. but there hasnt been anyone up there MDing for a long time. lots of trash being dumped there also.

Didn't old chain or rocks park have a sort of amusement park close by?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Chain of Rocks amusement park closed in the early 1970's. It was a nice park and had nice rides and a great pool. I think there are apartments located where the park was located. It was a very popular amusement park and many schools had their annual picnic at the park. Not the best area, if you know what I mean. When crossing the bridge on 270 into Missouri the park was on top of the hill and could be seen from the bridge.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing you need to find out about Forrest Park is where there has been no fill dirt brought. I went to a hunt there last month and several coins were found including 2 half dimes and a gold piece. Several mercs and barber dimes were also found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread