Any St Louis hunters want to go out sunday 10-15...Please read

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi, I am a new hunter here in St Louis and I have done some research to find a decent area to hunt. I think I might have found a pretty great spot. It has alot of potential but as it always goes you never know. I have been out the past 2 weeks and havn't found a good spot, but I have a great feeling about this spot. This spot is local here in St Louis and it is on public property. I scouted it out this morning and want to see what we can turn up. For more details please send me a message or reply to this thread. This area is where alot of well to do people would come to and have summer homes or vacation properties and in 1929, the earliest map I could get, there were 10 homes or summer cottages that were on this site and as I said it looks promising. I am hitting the site at 07:00am tomorrow, sunday 10-15 Sorry about the short notice...I hope to have a few fellow hunters check out this place with me.

Mike

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
well i would of loved to go hunting with you but I'm 100 miles west of you on I-44

OP
OP
hns11550

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well BCS you are in luck because my spot is right off of I-44. LOL.....I went out there this morning and found alot of stuff...alot of cans, railroad spikes, glass from windows, and some misc steel. I have found a couple of foundations, they are only partial and barely above ground. I know there is good stuff there. From what I have learned from this site and everyones posts, you have to clear the trash to get to the good stuff. I am going back out there next Sunday so if anyone wants to go let me know and I will share my info with you to see what exactly we would be hunting, let me know, I am pretty sure this spot hasn't been hit alot if at all. I'd like to take about 2-5 guys out there and really hit this place hard.

Mike

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I have been detecting for 35 years and have done quite a bit of research myself. Especially for Civil War sites. My experience has shown me that no matter how hard I try and find a new spot to detect, someone has already been there in most instances. There was a park in Marine, Illinois that I went to in the late seventies. It was full of silver, really full, but you cannot detect there, they have it posted, no metal detectors. They have underground phone lines in the park. Do not go there and try because they do have a police department, besides, after 25 years I know the park has been wiped out of silver. I went there one time and did not get caught and filled my pockets with money, it was everywhere. That is a rare instance. I noticed you are using an old Whites for detecting. Some of the older White machines are better than the new machines. I just went out today with a new Minelab I bought on Ebay to a site that I have hammered, I found one mercury dime, one indian head penny, and three wheats, I was really looking for minnies, so I will be going back there again. What I am saying is that no matter how hard a site has been hunted there are still coins and artifacts there. You need patience and a good machine to get at them. I will give you some tips. Follow the old roads they may lead to riches. The Missouri Historical Society on Skinker across from Forest Park has all sorts of old maps and county histories, also, the main headquarters at St. Louis County Library in the genealogy department has many county history books. Take a ride down near new Madrid in the winter, go South toward Portageville and Point Pleasant, in the morning the fields twinkle with broken glass. There were thousands of houses down there on the old now desolate roads, every time I go down there I find old money, it is everywhere. Most people down there eyeball their finds. It is very difficult to detect the area because it is cotton country and the dirt mounds in the fields from the cotton rows are very hard to detect, but the money is there, as with other stuff. People down ther collect marbles from the fields, and some people have thousands of marbles they have eyeballed from the old house sites. Some of my Civil war sites have turned out some great coins, all from before about 1864, and all of it silver. Seems the soldiers had a lot of half dimes and dimes, have never found a indian head penny at a civil war campsite. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread