Civil War Union Stronghold Found!

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This post is to all people interested in the St Louis area. I have been looking at older books with the history of my county and I have discovered a site that was a Union stronghold occupied by all accounts of about 60-70 union soldiers in 1861. According to one of my books, "the Union soldiers were in attentive and unprepared after many months of having nothing to do except harass the locals and were attacked by about 200 confederates, and were subdued in about 10-15 minutes." After reading accounts of this and searching maps and seeing photos of the area, I have pin pointed the location of where they had built the stronghold and it has been called a stone redoubt. They were encamped on an eastern bluff over looking the railroad tracks. The reports state there were also scouts on both of the bluffs. I am going to go scout the area this weekend if the weather is good and walk the area. While out, I will take pics and post them. I am very interested in getting a couple of people together to md the area and look for relics. The areas I believe are public property. I am sure the location is right, I just want to walk it first before I drag anyone out blindly. If anyone in the area is interested please send me a message or any questions, and I will get back to you.

OP
OP
hns11550

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm heading out there today to check it out...I am going to take some pics and mark some spots with my gps...maybe dig a little...the weather here is starting to get bad and is supposed to get worse this weekend so I may not be able to get back out there until next weekend...I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
hns11550

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, I went to the site yesterday and confirmed a few things. The weather was getting very bad and I had to get home. We are having pretty bad Ice storms here right now and it was raining on me too hard to get the digital camera out. The story about this Union camp was that they were there to protect a significant railroad bridge. The Union soldiers built a stone redoubt on a bluff immediatly north of the bridge to protect it. Total troop strength was from 60-70 men. From my research, these guys were there for a couple of months and were overtaken by about 200 confederate troops. After the confederates captured the stronghold, they commenced to burn the 3 span bridge, and according to the generals report it would take months to rebuild. What I confirmed on my brief walkthrough, was that the original supports for the bridge that was burned are still there. Second thing is, to run the railroad tracks, they had to cut through the rock similar to they way they do for highways, to make the ground level and it is on the bluffs of this cutout where the action was. The eastern bluff is confirmed as being the Union Camp site! Getting to this spot is kind of difficult, I will keep everyone updated when I get back there and start digging. Next time I am out there I will get pics to post!

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
If think I know where you have been. I have hunted many area near St. Louis. You are either on the Big River near Vineland, or on the Meramec near Moselle. Both are good for relics. All the bridges on the railroads to Pilot Knob; Rolla; Jefferson City; and Sedalia were guarded. All have relics. There are many better places to hunt in this State. The railroads are not bad though, just that they have been heavily hunted and not much is left. Get in touch with me for some information. I can steer you where to go on your new site. jhettel@mindspring dot com use the real dot mindspring.com

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
go down the tracks toward the river and look to the left of the tracks. That is where the blockhouse was located. There is a small pile of stones there that were shown to me in the early 1970's by the owner

OP
OP
hns11550

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jhettel, You are correct. I was at the Big River area and found the Vinland cut and the area you are talking about is in fact what I am eager to hunt...I am discouraged though that you said it has been hunted many times. Have you hunted it before? Any suggestions or sites you have in the area would really be appreciated. Thanks for your input!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
hns11550 said:
jhettel, You are correct. I was at the Big River area and found the Vinland cut and the area you are talking about is in fact what I am eager to hunt...I am discouraged though that you said it has been hunted many times. Have you hunted it before? Any suggestions or sites you have in the area would really be appreciated. Thanks for your input!

No place is ever hunted out. I would still go and swing a detector around and see what can be found. There are sure to be some bullets and buttons left in the area. A 8x9 coil can't possibly cover everywhere.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
In this weeks Meremec Valley Journal, which is part of the Suburban Journal Newspapers, there was an article on the battle at the Big River Bridge and the action near Blackwell. A group from Jefferson County is planning to erect a plaque at the location of the battle as being the only Civil War battle fought in Jefferson County, Mo.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
jhettel said:
In this weeks Meremec Valley Journal, which is part of the Suburban Journal Newspapers, there was an article on the battle at the Big River Bridge and the action near Blackwell. A group from Jefferson County is planning to erect a plaque at the location of the battle as being the only Civil War battle fought in Jefferson County, Mo.

Thanks, jhettel!

I didn't know it, but the Suburban Journal was bought out by the Post Dispatch - and is online, too!

Here's that article (dunno how long it'll stay, but...)
http://jeffcountyjournal.stltoday.c...and_style/sj2tn20070220-0221ndj_civil.ii1.txt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread