Old Wire Road

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
I am currently researching and trying to locate the exact location of the "Old Wire Road" that ran from St. Louis Missouri to Fort Smith, AR.
I'm particularly interested in the section from Springfield to Pea Ridge, AR that had the most Civil War traffic.

wire road.png

I'm trying to find old maps and overlay them on Google Earth. So far I believe I've had some success identifying some traces of the old road that have not been paved over.
Has anyone here done any research into the road? Any good map links or verified locations?
Any detecting finds?

Thanks!
Bruce

DamonCooper

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2014
Bruce,
I'm guessing you're looking for old wire road in its relation to the Springfield Spanish Gold treasure? I'm familiar with the legend.

Let me know if you're interested in working together.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are willing to share resources, I am looking for maps of MO. There is a section of road, perhaps called old lead cart trail, that I am trying to get info on. Sorry I can't help with old wire road. Will go to local historical society & see what I can find.

rareshine5

Greenie
Jun 22, 2014
Osage County, MO
Detector(s) used
Nothing highend- from sears my mom gave it to me for Christmas years ago
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't find it on line or at Historical society, you could probably contact1) County Assessors office, 2) County Soil & Water district or 3) Missouri Highway and transportation- request copies of archival map or platt book - hope that helps?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread