State Park Laws

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the generosity of a couple of guys off of T-Net, I'll be metal detecting a few prospective sites here in town. One of them may possibly be within the boundaries of a park, but I was just wondering if anyone was able to tell me what the specific laws are regarding metal detecting in state or city parks... or possibly what would be a good place online to find out. Thanks...

Bran <><

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I believe in state parks you need a metal detecting permit that can be obtained free via email. I had mine in about 3 days. It does have rules and regs on it. Check the Missouri state parks website for more info. I have never had any trouble in local city or county parks. Here is the link for the state parks http://www.mostateparks.com/faq.htm

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hns,
Thank you for that info... I just sent out an e-mail to them requesting a permit for myself. I wasn't sure if there would be any problems in the smaller parks, especially this one since there's almost no park rangers that frequent the place. I just had noticed at one point a couple years back that there was a rock fireplace in some bushes and overgrowth right on the edge of the park. I've had that in the back of my mind for quite some time, so I'm really ready to go check it out. Any other info you may have on detecting in the Springfield or Missouri area, feel free to send it my way...

Bran <><

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I know where that rock fireplace is located. Most parks in St. Louis County are open to metal detecting. Jefferson Barracks Park East of Grant is off limits. That is the historic area and you will be asked to leave. Fort Bellefontaine is also off limits to detecting and you will be asked to leave. A friend of mine is Superintendent of Fort Bellefontaine. The rock fireplace has been hunted thousands of times, believe me, very little there, if anything. If you are looking for coins and have a good detector, Forest Park is still a good place for coins, but you have to work for them.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jhettel,
Actually, the park I'm referring to is not in St. Louis County... it's in Green County. And from what I've read on the permit, I believe it may possibly allow us to detect even on historical grounds. I'm not sure of that though, I need to read all of the papers when I receive my permit in a couple of days. Either case, I've never seen anyone whatsoever in this park I'm referring to detecting or hunting.

Warsawdaddy,
I haven't contacted them, except for posting on their group thread on T-Net. But several members have contacted me in the past about joining them and going to their meetings. I've not had a detector of my own, so I wasn't able to participate with them.

Bran <><

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
about a mile south of Ft.Bellfontain there is a old CCC camp with lime stone buildings that have mostly fell over. this is were the guys lived while cutting the lime stone rock for the Missouri Hills boys home at the end of Bellfontain Rd. not to many people go there that i know of.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great info... I'll have to check that out sometime. :)

Bran <><

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
matter of fact,in the limestone close to where these buildings are ,there is still a drill point stuck in the bluff there maybe about 100 feet away from the buildings.

Jefferson

Jun 15, 2007
Missouri
Hey guys, what a great site this is, Treasurenet, was just reading your posts and talk about bringing back memories........ I started hiking all of those woods (Fort Belle Fontaine and beyond) when I was about 12-13yrs old over 25 years ago, I just wish I had known all the history I was around all those years, anyway that's the main reason for this reply... history..... just in case there are people out there that haven't seen these sites, here they are.....

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/bellefontaine/fort.htm

Here is the St.Louis Homepage...... talk about research, links out the wahzoo!

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/index.html

Here is the main site, haven't dug in yet (pun intended) but I'm sure there's more in there for the whole country.

http://www.usgennet.org

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
County and city parks have thier own specific laws and regulations for detecting. Most don't have any ordinances against it, but some do. Wentzville you can detect, but can't dig...lol. In St. Louis, Tower Grove and Jefferson Barracks are off limits.

State Parks in MO are off limits. You can get a permit to detect in SOME of the dry beach areas of the parks, but everywhere else you get stiff fines and run the risk of losing everything you brought with you.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I didn't get my permit by applying for one by email. I tried three different times. Baldingboy called and talked to someone and they got my permit to me in two days!

So far I have hunted at St. Joe and Lake of the Ozarks state parks. St. Joe they are very strict! I went one Sunday morning and there was NO ONE around but at 8:55 the park ranger stopped and made sure I knew I had to leave at 9AM. This was before Labor day.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Riverside in the North Kansas City area has a big sign posted and forbids metal detecting, digging or removal of items from the ground in any form or fashion...big long list of rules....it was listed under the title Archeology.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread