CW Camp in south central Missouri

bobberdown

Greenie
Nov 23, 2006
South Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
This is what I found in a small central MO town where they have started construction of a new building site.
bullets.JPG

bullciv2.JPG

also a 1834 dime not in photo. I did weeks of research on the site and found out it was a field hospital.
A day or two after these items were found the site was covered up with 10' of fill dirt. So that is another CW site lost forever.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Very nice finds!

It's sad but more and more sites like that are disappearing. Shame too, because alot of this is history that most folks are not aware of. Log the site's location and history so that other will know what once was there.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It's sad that they didn't care about anything but progress. However, cogratulation on bringing what you could to the light of day. 8) Best of luck on your next venture and HH!!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Glad you got em while you could. The sad thing is all the 'NO's' you get when you ask when it's still there to be found. We all know one of these days all of these places will be covered and nothing will ever be found. Missouri is growing fast and the push west has begun.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The only other advise I can think of is those sites have to be leveled first, thus the excess dirt goes somewhere. Follow those dump trucks. Good luck and HH!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Very cool finds there. I have envied those that are able to detect CW sites, being on the west coast our history does not include anything to do with the civil war. Very fascinating and so sad that it is being buried under concrete before all of the history has been sifted out. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread