Going To Springfield Soon

Ilovegold

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2005
Western Oklahoma
Hi, I was wondering if you know of a good place to metal detect around the Springfield area. My family is going there soon on vacation. I would love to bring my m.d. The kids get a little bored (teenagers) but, my husband like to help me dig. I was reading in my Treasure Hunting book and McDonald County seems to have some good stories. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous parks here in Springfield... all, to my knowledge, seem to be alright metal detecting in. Here's a website you can find all the parks here in town on...
http://www.parkboard.org/information/city_parks/index.html
I've actually seen a few detectorists here in town recently. The parks I go to alot are Sequiota Park, Doling Park, and Ritter Springs Park. Good luck!

Bran <><

OP
OP
Ilovegold

Ilovegold

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2005
Western Oklahoma
Godisnum1, thanks for the help. I was planning on going to Sequiota Park it sounds pretty cool. We are so looking forward to this vacation. Thanks so much. I'll keep you posted if I found anything of intrest. We're not going until Memorial week-end.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ilovegold,
You're welcome! I hope you all have fun. I was actually just out at Sequiota Park yesterday afternoon!! Here's some pic's to give you a feel of what the park looks like... have fun!!!

Bran <><

Attachments

• DSCF3135.JPG
    DSCF3135.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF3138.JPG
    DSCF3138.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF3140.JPG
    DSCF3140.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCF3141.JPG
    DSCF3141.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF3143.JPG
    DSCF3143.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCF3142.JPG
    DSCF3142.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCF3150.JPG
    DSCF3150.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCF3157.JPG
    DSCF3157.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF3158.JPG
    DSCF3158.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF3166.JPG
    DSCF3166.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF3175.JPG
    DSCF3175.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF3196.JPG
    DSCF3196.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 319

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our parks have been hammered pretty hard here in Spfld. The old stuff is hard to find but there is plenty of clad being lost everyday.
Sequiota park would be a great family destination. If I were to detect there again I would hit the woods surrounding the nucleus of the park. Get off of the beaten path and you might come up with some goodies. Good luck and happy hunting....Steve

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just figured they'd have more fun detecting for the normal stuff as a family. :) I've hiked through those woods behind the normal park (before they put up the No Trespassing signs) and there seemed to be some random stuff around the grounds... they "may" produce some more stuff outside of scrap metal laying around... maybe???

Bran <><

OP
OP
Ilovegold

Ilovegold

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2005
Western Oklahoma
Thanks, Godisnum1 the park looks great and we love to hike too. Have you been getting a lot of flooding like we have here in Oklahoma? The rain has been constant. I hope I can get out this weekend and do some MD it's suppose to stop raining. Talk to you later and thanks for the info.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I think I'd leave the detector in the trunk and go to that Safari Land park. I don't know what it is, but I've past it everytime I've gone by in the last 45 years. :)

Burt

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Bran, the park is a good family destination. The land above the cave is private property. A friend owns it and I have detected it a while back. There used to be a school for Indians up there, also the person that bought the house told me it came with a treasure story all it's own.
If you look at old pictures of the park in the 20's the park was heavily used for many occasions. The old trails surrounding the park (which are not posted) were used by many a courting couple to get away from the crowds. They would spread a blanket and uuumm, well you get the message. There are still old coins to find up there. There is not much soil because it is so rocky, thus the items are not that deep. Enjoy your stay in Spfld...Steve

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ilovegold,
If you love to hike, then I'd suggest going out to Sequiota Park. They've got pretty lengthy trails out there that's good for the family. Another of my personal favorites to get away from everything and everyone is Busiek State Forest & Wildlife Area... approx. 22 min's/miles down Hwy 65, right off of the highway. There's camping spots out there where you can call for permission to camp at. Pretty respectable place and has a good amount of little worn nature trails.
Just a warning... last time I camped out there by myself in the early Spring time, I had a bear come right up to my tent sniffing around while I was reading my Bible. I don't think I've ever grabbed my knife out of my pack that quickly in my life!!!! lol So just be precautious. They just seemed to be curious, as they didn't really bother anything outside of my campsite.

Busiek State Forest & Wildlife Area
This wild land offers many trails, perfect for hikers. Open year round and located at Hwy 65.
Phone: 417-895-6880

http://www.molionsconvention.org/Attractions.htm

stevesno,
That's really interesting that there used to be an Indian school up above the caves out at Sequiota? I know when I first read that sign they put up at the front of the park telling of the history of it, I was quite excited because I had no idea that the Cherokee were ever in this area! I'm Native American (Lakota/Suix and Cherokee), so that was a pretty neat fact about the area over there. That's also very cool that your friends with the person that owns the land up on the hills... I remember when all the signs were first posted up there... I was pretty sad since I like exploring/hiking around and have been up there a ton of times.
And you don't have to tell me about people going up there... lol I've been up there a few times in the past myself and have a specific spot up on one of the outcroppings at the back of the lake. It really is an awesome place for a couple in college to just get away from their classes and homework/work and just throw out a blanket and take a nap. I've never did anything shady back there, but I've seen stuff laying around the grounds and inside the caves. It's kinda sick to be honest.
I do have to say that one of the first things I noticed when I first hiked around the trails up there was the shallow soil. But then again, I suppose that's a trait that most of Missouri shares.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
I think I'd leave the detector in the trunk and go to that Safari Land park. I don't know what it is, but I've past it everytime I've gone by in the last 45 years. :)

Burt

Burt,
It's been about 7 or 8 years since I've been to that Safari park... but essentially, it's a park where you can actually drive through with your vehicle and view all the animals up-close. I "believe" it was alright to feed the animals... it's been so long ago I don't remember much, except for a giraffe trying to put it's head into the window.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread