Genreral Prices 6 Cannon in the Osage near Schell City ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genreral Price's 6 Cannon in the Osage near Schell City ?

unknown if Recoverd

Mexico weekly ledger. (Mexico, Mo.), February 06, 1896

Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Mexico weekly ledger. (Mexico, Mo.) 1855-1956, February 06, 1896, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Speed

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2014
Nevada, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure Tracker DX-8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found this post. I live in Vernon County and I will check with the historical society on my next day off and post what they say later.

Speed

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2014
Nevada, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure Tracker DX-8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is what I found out. The cannons could still be in place.

I contacted the Vernon County Historical Society and he had never heard the story about the cannons or seen the article from the Rich Hill Tribune. He told me that General Price crossed further West on the Marmaton River. The Marmaton River is a 102-mile-long tributary of the Little Osage River in southeastern Kansas and western Missouri.

I e-mailed him the link and a copy of the article from the Mexico Weekly Ledger. He stated he will do more research on this and let me know. I have also asked to be a part of any recovery effort and detect the surrounding area for more historical artifacts.

After Christmas I will try to go by the county courthouse and see who owns that land now. Two problems with locating the cannons. One is that the course of the Osage river could have changed and the second is that there is now a 1,500 acre Missouri state wetland/conservation area to the East of Schell City.

Will update when I find out more.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speed -

The site of the old Kiltz mill is actually on private property. PM me if you want a map, I'm happy to share. I live in Mid-Missouri, so the chances of me 1) going there and 2) getting permission are not likely :)

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was there in 1978 with a canoe strapped on top of a B210 Datsun with a detector coil with a 25' cable. The water was no where that deep. The owner at the time said he didn't care if we looked. He had lived there for a long time and never saw them. Lots of people before us looked for them with no luck. We didn't find them either ,must still be there.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there in 1978 with a canoe strapped on top of a B210 Datsun with a detector coil with a 25' cable.

I can picture that, sounds like it was a good time!

Ozarkdigger

Greenie
Feb 27, 2017
Jefferson city mo
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I researched this site in 2019. The river is treacherous to get to Kiltz's property. We were able to find the area of his property in which he stated he could see the tops of the wheels. We also found an old bridge abutment which verified our location. We then scanned the river with a Sidescan sonar and did not locate anything on the bottom. My theory it was a total lie. Price didn't cross anywhere near here. My friend found the spot on the Marmaton where Price actually crossed. And Price would never had sent his artillery 30-60 miles away to try to cross here. I'm not even sure he had 6 artillery pieces left after Mine Creek. The only other engagement I found near here was Hog island but the guerrillas only had 300 and no artillery reported. Use caution if you try to get to this spot. Many submerged stumps. We nearly tore out the bottom of the boat. It is in the middle of nowhere if you get in trouble out there it would be bad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread