Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    In Cape Girardeau MO

    I am trying to locate some Civil War sites that are accesible near Southeast Missouri for a friend and I to hunt. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know there were several places around Cape Girardeau, but access seems tough. Maybe, I am just not good at doing research. I would appreciate any help you all could offer. You don't have to dig for me too, just share some knowledge. :P

  2. #2

    Oct 2003
    St. Louis
    Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
    178
    26 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    I hunt civil war throughout Southeast and Central Missouri. You shouldn't have any problem finding a place to hunt. Try Whitewater Bridge, Dallas (Marble Hill); Bloomfield; New Madrid; to name a few. I have found minnies all over those areas.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    I have noticed a rich civil war history in Cape Girardeau even, but how do you know where to start? Do you all just knock on doors and get permission in likely areas or what?

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Quote Originally Posted by superduty
    yeah Thats one way.......you live in Cape? I live near Chester Ill.
    Actually, I live in Jackson, MO...right next to Cape.

  5. #5

    Oct 2003
    St. Louis
    Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
    178
    26 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    You need to do a lot of research. There is a site called "Civil War in Missouri" start there and see what you find. Google civil war and missouri together and see what you find.

    Cape Girardeau is too grown over to really find anything. You need to get out from Cape and find some other sites. Try Commerce. Lots of troops there.

    Knocking on doors works sometimes. I prefer places where I don't have to knock on doors. Knocking on doors is only a last resort. Troops traveled and camped all over Missouri. Many of these places are in the woods where it basically comes down to "who do you ask".

    I have talked to hundreds of local residents all over the State. Many of the older persons can tell you more than you will ever find in a book. Information was passed down to them from their family. Find an area where you know there were camps, troops, or action and go there and ask the older people. Most older people are very nice if approached properly. I always start off with an apology for bothering them, then tell them who I am and what I am doing and then ask them if they have any information. Introduction is the main tool of getting information out of people. If there are signs up you can still go on and ask. People do not want trespassers without their knowledge, but if you go up and ask them they may be fine, although they may not let you on their property. In most instances, if I meet an ---hole and they start hollering at me I holler right back at them. Sometimes this works and after a few minutes we start talking, this has worked on many occasions.

    Remember many old roads that were in use during the Civil War are directly underneath the newer roads. The old houses you see alongside roads and highways were built along a used road. The bridges you cross on these old roads are usually the old fords. Fords flooded and troops had to camp to wait for the water to recede.

    I have hunted civil war for over 30 years and have a large collection from Missouri. When I first went to Fort Davidson I filled up a bag with exploded cannonballs, grape shot and even a unexploded hotchkiss shell. I found a place near Poplar Bluff a few years back where there was a skirmish and the stuff was everywhere.

    It's out there. Its in Missouri.

  6. #6

    Oct 2003
    St. Louis
    Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
    178
    26 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    so what are you trying to say?

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Quote Originally Posted by jhettel
    You need to do a lot of research. There is a site called "Civil War in Missouri" start there and see what you find. Google civil war and missouri together and see what you find.

    Cape Girardeau is too grown over to really find anything. You need to get out from Cape and find some other sites. Try Commerce. Lots of troops there.

    Knocking on doors works sometimes. I prefer places where I don't have to knock on doors. Knocking on doors is only a last resort. Troops traveled and camped all over Missouri. Many of these places are in the woods where it basically comes down to "who do you ask".

    I have talked to hundreds of local residents all over the State. Many of the older persons can tell you more than you will ever find in a book. Information was passed down to them from their family. Find an area where you know there were camps, troops, or action and go there and ask the older people. Most older people are very nice if approached properly. I always start off with an apology for bothering them, then tell them who I am and what I am doing and then ask them if they have any information. Introduction is the main tool of getting information out of people. If there are signs up you can still go on and ask. People do not want trespassers without their knowledge, but if you go up and ask them they may be fine, although they may not let you on their property. In most instances, if I meet an ---hole and they start hollering at me I holler right back at them. Sometimes this works and after a few minutes we start talking, this has worked on many occasions.

    Remember many old roads that were in use during the Civil War are directly underneath the newer roads. The old houses you see alongside roads and highways were built along a used road. The bridges you cross on these old roads are usually the old fords. Fords flooded and troops had to camp to wait for the water to recede.

    I have hunted civil war for over 30 years and have a large collection from Missouri. When I first went to Fort Davidson I filled up a bag with exploded cannonballs, grape shot and even a unexploded hotchkiss shell. I found a place near Poplar Bluff a few years back where there was a skirmish and the stuff was everywhere.

    It's out there. Its in Missouri.
    jhettel,
    Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. I guess I am trying to make this too hard. I try to do research yet I am just having a hard time nailing down a certain spot. I guess I will just have to swing a detector over some likely researched spots and if it coughs up something, I will know I am getting warm. Thanks again for your time and tips. I have found nothing so far, so anything is a help.

  8. #8

    Oct 2003
    St. Louis
    Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
    178
    26 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    I will be glad to help you. We are all looking for that certain spot that is full of relics, and, they are out there. If you are near Cape then I would try Marble Hill, Mo. and Whitewater, Mo. for starters. Marble Hill had a lot of troops. Also, go down to Commerce which also is close by. There were a lot of troops dropped off from steamboats at Commerce and they had to camp in the area. There is an old Christmas tree farm near Commerce and that is where they supposedly camped, but the owner is kind of an ass. He asked me for a resume'. Who ever heard of using a resume' to look for stuff with a detector.

    When you finally find a minnie ball stay in the area and look hard. When I find one, I usually find a few more.

    Keep in touch, send me a personal e-mail.

    J

  9. #9

    Sep 2006
    Illinois (Dekalb County)
    Garrett 1350
    173

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Missouri is a great place, thinking of retiring down there. Great info. Do you go as a group or a club down there? My only problem is its 6hrs away, plus I have so little time for research.

    Frank
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston Churchill

  10. #10
    les
    les is offline
    us
    Jan 2007
    Southern Illinois
    Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
    107
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO


    Here is a Link for some History from just across the River from Cape Girardeau Mo.,very Close to you, it seems that Mounds IL. & Cairo Had alot going on during the Civil War. Shipyards etc, Should produce some good hunting areas for Civil War Relics.

    http://www.southernmostillinoishistory.net/civilwar.htm
    Les

  11. #11
    les
    les is offline
    us
    Jan 2007
    Southern Illinois
    Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
    107
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO


    Birds Point, in Missouri just across the mississippi from Cairo IL. was a union army Camp during the Civil War & a Rail transfer point afterwards up until 1908. That Spot is Very Close to Cape.
    Les

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankTM
    Missouri is a great place, thinking of retiring down there. Great info. Do you go as a group or a club down there? My only problem is its 6hrs away, plus I have so little time for research.

    Frank
    Frank,
    Unfortunately, I know of no clubs around Cape Girardeau. There was one in place by a local Whites dealer, but he was robbed after a write up on some of his club finds and then the group disbanded. Sad.... If you move here and need someone to hunt with...send me a PM. I'll hunt with you.
    BB

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Quote Originally Posted by superduty
    Ft. Davidson near Ironton

    Thanks Superduty.

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    1851 O Half Dime

    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
    2,240
    10 times

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Quote Originally Posted by les

    Birds Point, in Missouri just across the mississippi from Cairo IL. was a union army Camp during the Civil War & a Rail transfer point afterwards up until 1908. That Spot is Very Close to Cape.
    Les
    Cool. I will check it out Les. Thanks a lot.

    T

  15. #15

    Sep 2006
    Illinois (Dekalb County)
    Garrett 1350
    173

    Re: In Cape Girardeau MO

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldingboy
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankTM
    Missouri is a great place, thinking of retiring down there. Great info. Do you go as a group or a club down there? My only problem is its 6hrs away, plus I have so little time for research.

    Frank
    Frank,
    Unfortunately, I know of no clubs around Cape Girardeau. There was one in place by a local Whites dealer, but he was robbed after a write up on some of his club finds and then the group disbanded. Sad.... If you move here and need someone to hunt with...send me a PM. I'll hunt with you.
    BB
    I actually try ot get down there every so often and am looking to hopefully buy some land down yonder. Where are you at?

    Frank
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - Winston Churchill

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

cape girardeau metal detecting
,
civil war sites in cape girardeau mo
,
metal detecting cape girardeau
,
metal detecting clubs in cape girardeau
,
metal detecting fort davidson missouri
,
metal detection cape girardeau
,
metal detector
,

southeast missouri civil war relic hunting

,
treasure hunting perryville mo
,
where is the best place to go metal detecting near cape girardeau mo
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3