Joplin Missouri and the Spanish Treasure Map Rock

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well BW, you just saved me a trip to the museum. I was wanting to stop by there sometime on a Saturday after work. The story itself sounded a little strange because of the lack of info on the stone itself. There's still the Noble Hill treasure which I'm hoping to do more research on when I have the time... :wink:

Bran <><

BADWOLF

Oct 29, 2008
Mount Vernon, IL.
Ive reread Ozarkians original post and found that it bears no resemblance to the story of the Spanish Mystery Stone being kept at Wilson's Creek Battlefield Museum. Im going dive into my files to see how many stories and legends I can cross reference to find n close as possible match to the story put forth by Ozarkian. Of course one as well as all must take in consideration the numerous caches of wagon loads of bullion, ore, payrolls, etc. made through out those volatile years. As well as the possibility that the said carvings could be of some origin other than Spanish. You would be surprised how often Spanish, Indian, and Anglo petroglyphs are mistaken for one another. If you (Ozarkian) would like to contact me for any research help, or possible translation of, or identification of; markings, sighs , glyohs , etc. I offer my services to you. I am interested in your story.

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
Holy cow fellas, and ladies !

I am new to the site but read this thread with much intrest.

I live in Southern California but grew up on a farm in Jasper, then later went to high school in Carthage. I have lived in So. Cal for the past 20 years.

When I was in Scouts in Jasper every year we would go to a camp spot in 'Pineville' (?) We would camp on the 'little piney' or maybe 'big piney' river, I tell you what, later tonight I will look on G-Earth maps and find the place. Anyway... one year we were doing a Scout activity where we would have 2 groups and everyone in both groups would have sandwich bags full of flour and hide in the woods in that area and ambush each other with the flour bags. Pretty-much the pre-courser to nowdays 'paint ball'. heh. (poor man's paintball, lol lol) Anyway... anyway.. I was playing with 2 or 3 other fellas and we came across this nice size cave opening. It was really hidden on the side of a bluff, from one edge of the cave entrance you can see the river down below.... but you cant see the cave from the river or the road.. We (maybe 5 or more of us plus our scout master) later went to explore the cave and I remember you could walk upright into it with no problem, the entrance is pretty skinny, and the main room was too high for me to touch at that time ( I was like 14 at that time i think) I remember there being bats in it here and there mostly in the creags in the ceiling. In one area, deeper in there was a circle in the sand where it looked like someone may have had a large fire ring (but no sign of fire, at all) or maybe where something had been burried. It was a circle about 6 foot diameter and it had a depression about .... maybe 2 feet in the middle, some of us sat in it and took a picture, (no I no longer have the photo).

Wow I totaly forgot about that camp trip untill I read this thread.. heh.

Now I will go over some G-Earth maps and see if I can locate it, I will give my Brother a call (He's in Eureka Springs Arkansas) and see if he remembers where it was ... he was with us, he might remember.

I'll keep ya all updated if I find it, might make a real smart expedition.

Rock on

Vince in So. $ Cal

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you what Vince... if you would do me the favor of trying your best to locate this area, I will provide Google Earth Pro for you (if you want it). I also used Microsoft LiveMaps (http://maps.live.com/), which sometimes gets me in closer than Google Earth does.
Just let me know if you could use it by a private message on here, and I'll get it to you.

Thanks!
Bran <><

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Vin-Diesel said:
Holy cow fellas, and ladies !

I am new to the site but read this thread with much intrest.

I live in Southern California but grew up on a farm in Jasper, then later went to high school in Carthage. I have lived in So. Cal for the past 20 years.

When I was in Scouts in Jasper every year we would go to a camp spot in 'Pineville' (?) We would camp on the 'little piney' or maybe 'big piney' river, I tell you what, later tonight I will look on G-Earth maps and find the place. Anyway... one year we were doing a Scout activity where we would have 2 groups and everyone in both groups would have sandwich bags full of flour and hide in the woods in that area and ambush each other with the flour bags. Pretty-much the pre-courser to nowdays 'paint ball'. heh. (poor man's paintball, lol lol) Anyway... anyway.. I was playing with 2 or 3 other fellas and we came across this nice size cave opening. It was really hidden on the side of a bluff, from one edge of the cave entrance you can see the river down below.... but you cant see the cave from the river or the road.. We (maybe 5 or more of us plus our scout master) later went to explore the cave and I remember you could walk upright into it with no problem, the entrance is pretty skinny, and the main room was too high for me to touch at that time ( I was like 14 at that time i think) I remember there being bats in it here and there mostly in the creags in the ceiling. In one area, deeper in there was a circle in the sand where it looked like someone may have had a large fire ring (but no sign of fire, at all) or maybe where something had been burried. It was a circle about 6 foot diameter and it had a depression about .... maybe 2 feet in the middle, some of us sat in it and took a picture, (no I no longer have the photo).

Wow I totaly forgot about that camp trip untill I read this thread.. heh.

Now I will go over some G-Earth maps and see if I can locate it, I will give my Brother a call (He's in Eureka Springs Arkansas) and see if he remembers where it was ... he was with us, he might remember.

I'll keep ya all updated if I find it, might make a real smart expedition.

Rock on

Vince in So. $ Cal
if you were in Pineville, MO, you were either on Big Sugar or Little Sugar which combine with Indian Creek to form Elk river...and Yes, there are tons of caves in that area

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little update on the Spanish stone. I met a guy who knew the fella that carved it, He even said he helped him take it out to the property! This guy joined our club 417 Relic Hunters in Springfield, Mo. He is in his middle 70's and a super nice guy.

rsting

Feb 9, 2010
granby, mo.
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266x
Hi, I don't know if anybody's still interested in this, but the spanish treasure cave story matches exactly with the story that you hear at the "Spanish Treasure Cave". It's a cave that is open to the public, and gives guided tours. It's on hwy 59, just a couple of miles across the Arkansas line. They even have a rock with"real" spanish markings on it. It's been 5 years or so since I was there, but best I recall, they gave a pretty good treasure story with the tour. Fun thing to do if you're in the area at least.
About the Pineville cave that was mentioned, the caves in that area were used by both sides during the civil war, could have been from that. Also, it is confirmed that Jesse James used at least one cave there as a hideout. There was even a movie made there about James back in the 1930's. They have Jesse James days there every year!
Anyway, just thought I'd share what info I had.
Russ

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
This is a very old thread but I'm hoping someone is still here. If the guy was mad about Wilson Creek why did the stone end up in Joplin? Does anyone know where to find the stone and or drawings, or pictures of the stone? I will be going to the Joplin museum to talk with them to see what info they may have.

WilliamBryan

May 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 1960's three of us kids found a tiny opening with a chiseled rectangle above it. We never figured out what it said. I crawled down a very tight tunnel( even as a skinny twelve year old. It opened up into a sizeable chamber with dirt floors. It was our secret hideout so we never told anyone where it was. This was located near a creek about ten miles south of Joplin

thelionwarrior

Greenie
Oct 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with the Spanish cave is they got the map all wrong. I've been there. It is not where the treasure is buried. There is a map. The cave people are seeking was covered up. You would first have to find the cave and then there is a map that tells you exactly what to look for. I'm planning to try and find it this spring/summer. Problem is someone owns the property it is on... Not sure how to gain access without telling them what I'm looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread