Hannibal MO....Go Hunt this place

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Here is hoping someone can get permission to go hunt this place by spring.....

At the end of Wabash Ave, at the west end of the railroad tunnel, in a deep 'hidden' valley in Riverview Park, is an example of an old small farmstead of the mid 1800's to early 1900's. Near all villages there were many small farmsteads of a few acres where families lived a self-sufficient life-style with their own water, fuel, food supply. In this case wood/water are immediately availlable. The family would have had a few hogs, milk cows, chickens. The area is too deep in the valley to have crops other than a few garden plots, but could be pastured. There is a good example of a hand dug, limestone lined water well as one approaches the house location. The layout of the house can still be seen from observing the old limestone block foundation, which would have come from the quarry just around south hill. Few foundation and almost no hand dug wells are left in the NEMO area due to 'progress.'

Attachments

• rkFarmstead2006Dec001WabashAve-vi.jpg
    rkFarmstead2006Dec001WabashAve-vi.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 604
  • nibalMoParkFarmstead2007Jan003-vi.jpg
    nibalMoParkFarmstead2007Jan003-vi.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 570
  • nibalMoParkFarmstead2006Dec040-vi.jpg
    nibalMoParkFarmstead2006Dec040-vi.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 583
  • hannibal FoundationBlocks.jpg
    hannibal FoundationBlocks.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 576
  • hannibal farmstead limestone well.jpg
    hannibal farmstead limestone well.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 915
  • ad2006Dec050EndHouseFoundation-vi.jpg
    ad2006Dec050EndHouseFoundation-vi.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 587

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gyps, you give me more Missouri leads than my heart can desire!! Thanks! ;)

Bran <><

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
So cool!!! Who would you need to talk to to even get permission?! If some one gets in there they're gonna HAVE to post their finds! Thanks!

whitestar55

Jan 9, 2008
Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver U Max
I stayed in Hannibal tonight. I drove down Wabash. No street sign, had to use my GPS. Man this is a bad looking end of town but WOW!!! The road along the riverfront is full of stone walls and steps up the hillside that go nowhere. I'm sure they went to long gone homes. I did not see a train tunnel and I did not get out and try to locate this vally. I wouldn't even go to the door of one of these houses without a buddy or I was packin'. But I'd love to hunt this area. I'm sure it's been hit before but it's so rugged you can be sure there is still plenty down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions