Morse Mill, Missouri

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The town of Morse Mill, Missouri,
Becky Millinger is the owner of the photos. See article below for more information http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mojeffer/com_morsemill2.html

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Morse Mill is an unincorporated community in Jefferson County, Missouri, United States. It is located about five miles northwest of Hillsboro. The community is named after John H. Morse, who settled here in 1847. Built in the early 1870s, the Morse homestead was a three-story frame house with a New Orleans-style balcony on the second floor. The house was used as a motel in the Roaring 20's, known as Morse Mill Hotel[1]. At this hotel is where Bertha Gifford killed her first known victim. There is an abandoned mill dam on the Big River here.

Attachments

• Morse Mill DeGonia Blacksmith Shop and Grandchildren.jpg
    Morse Mill DeGonia Blacksmith Shop and Grandchildren.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 2,967
  • Morse Mill in Hey day.jpg
    Morse Mill in Hey day.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,520
  • morse Mill Remains.jpg
    morse Mill Remains.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,004
  • Morse Mill sad homestead.jpg
    Morse Mill sad homestead.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,366

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
I found the place last weekend. It was too cold to hunt with my 7yr old but we scouted it out. The mill sits behind a blue house owned by a guy named Brian. There is a park across the river though. That's the way to hunt this. I'll be headed back out there before long. It looked promising.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Gypsy! :)

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Can someone that's been to the Mill locate the site on Google Earth? I would like to see the location. Thanks.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I just wanted to see the mill. I found the town on the river but couldn't find the old mill site. It looks like it's about 4 hours from me. If it was closer or I was heading that way we could team up. It looked like to me in the picture that the dam pool was active with swimmers. Is that what you saw?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I have been detecting for 30 years and live about three miles from Morse Mill and have never been there and probably will never go. I prefer the more remote places to detect. I am sure the area has been hunted very thoroughly. Morse Mill is between Hillsboro and Cedar Hill, Mo. right off Highway "B". It is much closer to Cedar Hill. Just follow Highway "B" from either Highway 21 or Highway 30. When Highway "B" crosses the Big River that is Morse Mill. If you look just off to one side you will see the old steel bridge, the mill was near there. So far as Google Earth, you will see nothing because since they have uploaded new images everything is now green and you can't even see the roads. Pretty pictures, but absolutely no detail. I liked the wintertime photo's they were using a few much earlier. If you use Google Maps just go to the US Post Office and find the zip code for the Morse Mill Post Office and maybe the address for the Post Office, it sits right off Highway B and you should be able to map it like that from anywhere.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
do you google your info? great stuff! I grew up fairly close to this area. Lots of history there. my mom grew up in Herculaneum. She use to talk about the children & dogs that would be thrashing around in fits. Of course they later learned it was the lead.
When you move up here, let me know. My lady friends get together for chow & chuckles, & would love to have you join us.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am looking forward to that mamabear.....I have hundreds of old books,maps and documents that I research to find new spots for everyone....Once I find one ,then I google to see if there has been any new info added or that I can get a precise location .....

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Two of the above photos are from the private collection of family photos owned by Becky Millinger, the DeGonia garage and the Morse Mill. These were originally posted on the Jefferson County rootsweb page and they were not intended for reproduction on other websites. I have permission from Becky to use them here,but to use them on any other website would require her permission.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
khouse said:
Can someone that's been to the Mill locate the site on Google Earth? I would like to see the location. Thanks.

WGS84 38° 16′ 36″ N, 90° 39′ 11″ W
38.276667, -90.653056
UTM 15S 705292 4239118

kmdarr

Nov 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Do you know what year the last photo of the hotel was taken?

reddirtwillie

Jan 4, 2013
Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live just down the road from Morse Mill. From the 50's (or so) till now the beach across from the hotel has been "red neck heaven". I've hunted several times and have only found pull tabs,fishing lead, beer cans and clad. Maybe someone will have better luck but its loaded with trash.

Ground0

May 18, 2009
The Show Me State
I live just down the road from Morse Mill. From the 50's (or so) till now the beach across from the hotel has been "red neck heaven". I've hunted several times and have only found pull tabs,fishing lead, beer cans and clad. Maybe someone will have better luck but its loaded with trash.
I'm quite familiar with Morse Mill. I am helping with the restoration of the hotel and have been studying the local history and lore for some time. The beach is certainly not the place to find cool stuff. Something's around tho.

I DIG

Mar 17, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I,ve hunted their same stuff I found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread