Morse Mill, Missouri
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gypsy Heart

Thread: Morse Mill, Missouri

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

Morse Mill, Missouri

The town of Morse Mill, Missouri,
    Becky Millinger is the owner of the photos. See article below for more information http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mo...orsemill2.html

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Morse Mill is an unincorporated community in Jefferson County, Missouri, United States. It is located about five miles northwest of Hillsboro. The community is named after John H. Morse, who settled here in 1847. Built in the early 1870s, the Morse homestead was a three-story frame house with a New Orleans-style balcony on the second floor. The house was used as a motel in the Roaring 20's, known as Morse Mill Hotel[1]. At this hotel is where Bertha Gifford killed her first known victim. There is an abandoned mill dam on the Big River here.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morse Mill DeGonia Blacksmith Shop and Grandchildren.jpg 
Views:	2834 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	174142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morse Mill in Hey day.jpg 
Views:	3290 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	174143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morse Mill Remains.jpg 
Views:	2917 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	174144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morse Mill sad homestead.jpg 
Views:	3127 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	174145  
    JustUsBikers likes this.
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

Nov 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
    1 times

Re: Morse Mill, Missouri

I found the place last weekend. It was too cold to hunt with my 7yr old but we scouted it out. The mill sits behind a blue house owned by a guy named Brian. There is a park across the river though. That's the way to hunt this. I'll be headed back out there before long. It looked promising.

us
    417 Area Relic Hunters

Sep 2005
    Springfield, Missouri
    Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
    26 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Good post Gypsy!
    ----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------
    417 RELIC HUNTERS CLUB

Metal Detector Sales of SWMO

Dec 2006
    74 times

Can someone that's been to the Mill locate the site on Google Earth? I would like to see the location. Thanks.

Dec 2006
    74 times

I just wanted to see the mill. I found the town on the river but couldn't find the old mill site. It looks like it's about 4 hours from me. If it was closer or I was heading that way we could team up. It looked like to me in the picture that the dam pool was active with swimmers. Is that what you saw?

Oct 2003
    St. Louis
    Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
    41 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I have been detecting for 30 years and live about three miles from Morse Mill and have never been there and probably will never go. I prefer the more remote places to detect. I am sure the area has been hunted very thoroughly. Morse Mill is between Hillsboro and Cedar Hill, Mo. right off Highway "B". It is much closer to Cedar Hill. Just follow Highway "B" from either Highway 21 or Highway 30. When Highway "B" crosses the Big River that is Morse Mill. If you look just off to one side you will see the old steel bridge, the mill was near there. So far as Google Earth, you will see nothing because since they have uploaded new images everything is now green and you can't even see the roads. Pretty pictures, but absolutely no detail. I liked the wintertime photo's they were using a few much earlier. If you use Google Maps just go to the US Post Office and find the zip code for the Morse Mill Post Office and maybe the address for the Post Office, it sits right off Highway B and you should be able to map it like that from anywhere.

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    864 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking

do you google your info? great stuff! I grew up fairly close to this area. Lots of history there. my mom grew up in Herculaneum. She use to talk about the children & dogs that would be thrashing around in fits. Of course they later learned it was the lead.
    When you move up here, let me know. My lady friends get together for chow & chuckles, & would love to have you join us.
    dancing in the fire!

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

I am looking forward to that mamabear.....I have hundreds of old books,maps and documents that I research to find new spots for everyone....Once I find one ,then I google to see if there has been any new info added or that I can get a precise location .....
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

Two of the above photos are from the private collection of family photos owned by Becky Millinger, the DeGonia garage and the Morse Mill. These were originally posted on the Jefferson County rootsweb page and they were not intended for reproduction on other websites. I have permission from Becky to use them here,but to use them on any other website would require her permission.

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    287 times

Quote Originally Posted by khouse
    Can someone that's been to the Mill locate the site on Google Earth? I would like to see the location. Thanks.
    WGS84 38 16′ 36″ N, 90 39′ 11″ W
    38.276667, -90.653056
    UTM 15S 705292 4239118

us
    Nov 2011

Hi. Do you know what year the last photo of the hotel was taken?

Willie

Jan 2013
    Mo
    AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
    20 times
    I live just down the road from Morse Mill. From the 50's (or so) till now the beach across from the hotel has been "red neck heaven". I've hunted several times and have only found pull tabs,fishing lead, beer cans and clad. Maybe someone will have better luck but its loaded with trash.

us
    May 2009
    The Show Me State
    Quote Originally Posted by reddirtwillie View Post
    I live just down the road from Morse Mill. From the 50's (or so) till now the beach across from the hotel has been "red neck heaven". I've hunted several times and have only found pull tabs,fishing lead, beer cans and clad. Maybe someone will have better luck but its loaded with trash.
    I'm quite familiar with Morse Mill. I am helping with the restoration of the hotel and have been studying the local history and lore for some time. The beach is certainly not the place to find cool stuff. Something's around tho.
    "Better to write for ones self and have no public  Than to write for the public and have no self"    -  Unknown

us
    Mar 2015
    Missouri
    Garrett GTI 2500
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by reddirtwillie View Post
    I,ve hunted their same stuff I found.

Sponsored Links