Battle of Lone Jack.................Raytown School Yard

whitestar55

Jan 9, 2008
Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver U Max
For any of you guys in the KC area I might have a couple of tips for you to check out. First, I was driving through Lone Jack today and stopped to read the sign commemerating the Battle of Lone Jack, which is right next to the museum. Well, right next door a new mini-mart just went up and it looks like other construction is planned as well. A very large area here has had about 4" of soil removed, and there is a huge pile of topsoil there. It would be a shame not to try to get permission to hunt here before more CW history is buried under asphalt.

Also, the school yard in Raytown has been dug up. Might see if permission could be obtained here also. Maybe some old coinage has been made more accessable.

I travel in my job and just happened through these areas today, but live in IL. I did not bring my detector with me this week since it has been so cold and the ground was frozen. It will all probably be covered over by the time I could get back in 3 months.

If anyone gets permission to hunt these sights please let me know what you find.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Raytown has several school yards. Which one is it.

Could it be the school yard on 63rd street that that has a nice big big pile of dirt due to construction.

River

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
When the Sonic was dug in Lone Jack I asked a guy there in one of those construction trailers if I could hunt. He said he didn't care but I didn't hear that from him. It was very muddy that day and I hunted for about 2 hours. I hunted all the piles and walked through the sticky mud. I dug some aluminum and trash. I didn't find any relics. I have seen two other hunters there. I need to go back. It's funny that before all those houses went in right next to the museum I asked the owner if I could hunt the field. He said he didn't let anyone in there. Then 2 years later he developed the area of field on the other side of the fence of the museum! Think of the artifacts that just got buried!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was talking with a dump truck driver a while back when the first construction of the strip mall was going on.
He said that an operator on that job said he dug two cannon balls but was keeping it quiet because they didnt want to get shut down. I have made one trip out there to check the site out but have not hunted any of it.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I can see where a find like that would slow down development. I guess I need to get out there again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions