New here....Howdy

tapwater

Mar 30, 2008
Very interesting site that you folks have here. I'm a total noob at MD'ing, so please bear with my stupidity. Lacking a better machine, can I do any good with a cheapo Quick Silver that's been taking up closet room? I need practice, but my place is so full of (modern) bullets and casings, that I can't make a swing without hitting one.
I live south of Chicago, but own 80 rough acres between Branson and Gainesville, on Rt. 160. Theodosia is the nearest town and that's where we stay when we come down to fish Bull Shoals. ANY hints, tips, advice, directions, scorn or ridicule is welcome. I have a thick skin, developed from the firearms forum that I spend time on.
Something tells me that Gypsy may know something about that area...... :wink: Anyway, Hi to all and I'll be lurking, if not posting much.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Tapwater!!
I'm glad to hear that you like our site (now it's yours too!)
It's ok... there's alot of people who come on knowing nothing at all about MDing (props to you for already catching on to the acronyms!!)
This is the *best* place to start understanding the hobby of treasure hunting better!
Well, for starters... almost any metal detector will find metal!
It might not be as proficient as some, but that won't limit your ability to find stuff.

To be very honest, your ability to find good targets with your metal detector will be based solely on your willingness to research & talk to people, so that you can get a good idea where to start. Starting out around your home is good if you need to learn your machine and the subtle nuances of sounds that it'll give you. You may also want to bury some modern coins spaced a couple feet apart and see what your machine tells you.

And really, you seem to be in prime area for the settlers that used to live around the Branson area... such as the Yocum family, who are famous for minting their own silver dollar pieces, which were used as currency for the Ozark settlers around the area of Table Rock near Silver Dollar City. So basically, you've got a GREAT area to hit up!!

If you ever decide to upgrade to another detector, unless you intend of spending more, I'd suggest to you to purchase an Ace 250 detector.
You can find them for around, or a little over, $200.
They're the best starter detectors and have a pinpointing function on it, which will narrow down the area that the target is located at.

Again, welcome to T-Net... I hope you find yourself addicted like we all have! :wink:

Bran <><

P.S. Gypsy knows something about ALL areas of the country... lol! She's the self-proclaimed "Queen of Rust" :icon_queen: and one of the best researchers I've have the privilege of knowing!!

OP
OP
tapwater

tapwater

Mar 30, 2008
Thank you for the kind welcome. About all the practice I've had is sweeping my long gravel driveway for change. My two boys are grown and gone, but they dropped a lot of coins while getting in and out of their cars. Being an old farm boy, I've always kept an eye out for Indian artifacts. I just don't have a sharp eye for them. My dad would slam on the tractor brakes, walk 50 feet away and pick up an arrowhead that caught his eye.
I'd like to md our county fairgrounds, but got a big NO from the director. He said the one time that he let someone in, they left it looking like a prairie dog town. I've known him all my 52 years, and I assured him that he'd never see a trace, but still, no.
There are a couple old homesites nearby that should yield up a wealth of nails and debris. Good practice. Looking forward to warmer weather, getting down to Theodosia and getting in some fishing and MD'ing.
Almost forgot....I have a Keane sluice box and pans that I really need practice with also.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem!
I hope you find alot of cool stuff... :)
Just keep practicing. Once you feel confident, or just want to try elsewhere... hit up your property!!!
That would be the first place that I sweep as clean as I can! Check around large old trees... look for any strange trees or rocks as well.
But since there was also alot of Civil War history throughout Missouri, you might just end up finding CW stuff out in the open.
Either way, good luck!

Bran <><

P.S. Oh... if you have a digital camera, you can post pic's of your finds (even if they're small) here on the forums to find out what stuff is, as well as to just show off your finds. It's encouraging to see other people's finds, especially if you're not able to get out alot (because of college) like me!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to Tnet. If you are going to get down to the area that you own ,let us know and we can meet up with you. I am sure I have something in the files that may be of interest to you...PM me

OP
OP
tapwater

tapwater

Mar 30, 2008
Thanks again everyone for the welome. Gypsy, we'll do that. I have a plat map of Taney county and have gotten to know some of the locals, who may be of help also. They got a big laugh, watching "that goofy Yankee" standing in Big Creek with a sluice box and a shovel.

OP
OP
tapwater

tapwater

Mar 30, 2008
nascarfan said:
Welcome Tap!!

Thanks for the welcome. I've been too busy tending a buddy's cattle to get out swinging, but I have some spots that I'm itching to try. If not posting, I'll be lurking....HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread