1840 St. Stanislaus Building- Florissant

2yuccas

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2008
Hi folks. I'm rather green at mding, and I have an offer to make to anyone who is interested. I know people who could give me permission to search around the old buildings of what used to be St. Stanislaus seminary in Florissant. This area should be pretty good...the Jesuits had a school for Indian boys ther as early as the 1820s here. The oldest building still existing is dated around 1840; and there are several older buildings around as well.

If I could have someone to help me understand my detector better, I'd be willing to get you permission to search as well. I have a Bounty Hunter Land Star.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i got to tour this building before the St. Louis University claimed most of the contents . they removed them to the St. louis universitys new museum downtown. but i understand that there is still some objects there to look at. i think they have a fee to visit this historic site. lots of Jesuits are burried there as well as Fr. DeSmidt. his tombstone was inside of the museum and they arent sure of his exact burial site is. but it was very interesting to visit.

OP
OP

2yuccas

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2008
All contents and graves were removed to this site to SLU. The Catholics no longer own the building.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
Never hunted that seminary. I did hunt old St. Ferdinand Church in the early seventies. Found a nice old broadaxe next to the church. Detectors were primitive back then No discriminate, no GEB, nothing but turn on and hunt. It is extremely difficult to find someplace that has not been hunted sometime in the past. If I were looking for old coins I would go into St. Louis and hunt the abandoned houses that are everywhere in the city. For the most part the blacks will not bother you.

About 50 of us hunted O'Fallon park when they drained the lake in 1996. We found thousands of barber coins; pistols; marbles; toys; coin purses; squirt guns. The lake was loaded with everything imagineable. Sometimes you would find a small make up case with the powder puff still inside, many of these also were filled with barber coins and indian head penny's, it was also loaded with lead sinkers. But the amount of silver was astonishing. I knew of people who drove from Ohio to hunt the park. I used to walk around the areas where the mud was starting to dry and find old marbles. I always found at least ten or twenty marbles every time I went. They then moved the mud down to the water works on Riverview and I used to walk around the mounds of drying dirt and still find marbles. When they did the lake at Art Hill they would not let anyone in the lake to detect. We did it one day and found nothing. Just lots of mud. But there was a lot of goodies in that mud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread