Tromping around in the woods

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Guys, Just curious what you all do for ticks, seed ticks, chiggers, poison ivy/oak while going out into the woods this time of year................I love the woods, but it doesn't love me back!! I am used to being out there more in the fall when I used to do a lot of bowhunting. While still having pesky misquitos and a few chiggers, didn't have that problem as much. I think because I'm down on the ground digging and right down in that underbrush that I end up getting in all that stuff more. Poison ivy really gives me fits too. So if any of you guys have any good recipes for success (products/tactics), I'd like to hear from you! Thanks, Nascarfan

OP
OP
N

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Hey Russau, Sounds good, I will try that........I used some yesterday, not sure what it was though!! Nascarfan

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
lye soap
Wash with it before you go in and after you come out.....removes all human scent,plus keeps chiggers at bay.....will relieve itching if you do get attacked by chiggers.....and also removes poison ivy oils......also found out that EMU oil will alleviate itching ......

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
my wife and i had a funneral to goto down below Bixby Mo. yesterday. it was a sad time but the drive was beautifull. try to get out to the woods before the leafs fall for the year!

RetRmy

Apr 17, 2007
in the service we used flea collars for dogs, one around each ankle, then also sprinkled flea powder around our cuffs.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good tip, Gypsy, if you can stand it. I'm allergic to lye soap; breaks me out something fierce. I live in Louisiana and tromp the woods all seasons. My trick has been to wear long sleeves, long pants and boots. Spray a good Deet product around the ankles/pants bottoms, the waist, the arms and hands and neck, the spray some in your hand and spread it on your face. Oh, and don't forget your hair and ears. And carry the spray bottle with you. I even spray around my belly and back directly on the skin.

When you get home, peel everything off and wash it, then bathe and check for critters.

And forget the perfumes and after-shave in the woods.

Was at Wally World this evening to get a wrap for my tree stand and saw they had the battery-powered insect repellants. Don't have one, but as I understand them, you activate them and stick 'em in your pocket; suppose to repel them. Don't know first hand, though.

Just don't head off into the woods in shorts, tank top and tennis. You'll regret it. Hope this helps. - Noodle

shaf

Oct 6, 2008
Permanone...get at Wally World in the camping area where you find the other bug repellants. Use it on clothing ONLY...NOT on your skin. It lasts for weeks even if you wash the clothes. Been using it for years for hunting, fishing, mushrooming and any time I will be in the woods. Haven't had a tick on my skin for a few years now. Works for Chiggers too!! Great stuff!!
Shaf

OP
OP
N

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Hey guys, Thanks for all your input. I will have to try the Lye soap out Gypsy!! My problem most of the time is that where I like to hunt is about 2 hours away from my house! So as I'm driving home from the hunt, I'm getting hammered by chiggers and ticks mainly........then the poison ivy/oak, the oils transfer from hand to steering wheel to whatever........I've got the wet wipes that I use when I get back to the truck, but those oils from the ivy/oak are brutal!! Short of stopping at a truck stop and taking a shower right away, those bugs have a buffet for 2 hours!! Later, Nascarfan!

PS - I will also try out the Permaone Shaf!! Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread