All Treasure Hunting
If i wasnt so far away Id visit ya Harry

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure would like to attend this festival. But, have other plans. I went to this site and they are having other knap ins and one is in moundsville,georgia march 8 & 9th. Maybe I can make it to this one. They already had one in dade city and another is scheduled for ocklocknee river feb 28 thru march 3rd. Hope some of y'all get to attend and have a great time.

Last edited:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh great, more fakes!:censored:

Somebody come back on here and tell us how many knappers are permanently marking their pieces and teaching others to do so..... instead of, "Look what I can do!"....

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Tom that definetly is the flip-side to an otherwise harmless hobby.Its all about the money.Where money goes corruption follows.Only in our greatly advanced society can we ---- up something as genuine as the art of knapping....

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know there will always be people that take advantage of others. You have people reproducing fakes in every form that can be thought of paintings, bronze, copper, clay , pottery, glass and the list could go on, and a lot of the people that make these items don't intend to do harm to anyone. It's the people that buy these item's for the sole purpose to defraud others that makes the hobbies look bad. I do know some knappers that ID their work, but they do it because they are legends in their on mind:laughing7:. Getting every knapper to ID their stuff would be like getting every pot smoker that rolls a joint to put his or her name on it, it wont happen. Most knappers wont to make the best looking point out of the best stone, because they are a type of artist in a way and that is one give away to a fake. I know that a lot of collectors do not like flint knappers, but look at it this way, the more points that people buy from knappers leave more points in the field for us collectors:laughing7: and some of us collectors are knappers of some sort.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nothing sharpens your appreciation and understanding of this old art like watching it being done today. Besides the weather is going to be great: about 75 degrees and overcast with a chance of rain. The museum is a worthwhile visit, too.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if they have any native cordage making demos at these knap-ins.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
"Oh great more fakes" ? My points are not fake. They are real because I made them and I make them to use in the field to take game with and an occasional arrowhead necklace for my grand children.

Not quite sure what that statement means? I mark my points like our ancestors did.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Oh great more fakes" ? My points are not fake. They are real because I made them and I make them to use in the field to take game with and an occasional arrowhead necklace for my grand children.

Not quite sure what that statement means? I mark my points like our ancestors did.

He means "fake" because some people try to pass them off as genuine artifacts..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for clearing that up. My problem is that I am such a bad flintknapper that they look real,LOL

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Jon , someone told me once that when someone asks if his points are real or fake, he offers to mount one on an arrow and shoot them with it and let them decide. He was pretty sure they would think it was real. LOL

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon , someone told me once that when someone asks if his points are real or fake, he offers to mount one on an arrow and shoot them with it and let them decide. He was pretty sure they would think it was real. LOL

I was told mine were fake because I refused to give some to someone. I have seen some real nice points that that knappers made. There is nothing wrong with the art of flint knapping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread