Tussinngers art of knapping

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought this post would be informative to all and particularly to flint knappers.
I apologize for the poor pictures, but there were lights everywhere impeding good shots of the subject matter..a remarkable artist... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425870488.756743.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425870516.094606.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425870542.671099.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425870572.571283.jpg

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Those are crazy. Crazy story too...

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 of his eccentrics at home. They were actually given to me years ago from an old collection, which was mostly GOOD local material for my area. From what I was told then is that they were picked up at an antique shop or sale is the mid west. I knew they were not ancient, and always wondered who could have made them. About 15 years ago I found a book about him and recognized the points immediately. I an very glad to have them in my collection ad they are made extremely well and represent some of the best early/modern flint knapping. I've learned a lot since then with what is new and what is old, but that will always be a field in which leaning will never stop. I like both ancient artifacts and modern knapped pieces, but I HATE fakes. (Fakes are new items which were attempted to be passed off as ancient) when I knap, I want the credit for my abilities, so I diamond etch and sign and photograph my work. I mostly keep them for myself though!!! That is why I learned how to make them, since I couldn't find them or even buy them, I decided to learn!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember, I'll take a picture or two of the pieces I have of his when I get home

OP
OP
M

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PaDirtDigger, the owner the collection pictured above said that modern knappers have tried to duplicate Tussinger's work but to no avail on the more intricate pieces. I am curious to know whether you have tried? I think a knapper might have a greater appreciation for the extraordinary ability this guy demonstrated.
I concur with your disdain for fakes and also an appreciation for ancient and modern pieces, but the sad fact is that, in this world wherever there is something appreciable and authentic whether of beauty, value, utility, or any combination of the three there unfortunately also will be liars, cons, fakes,and counterfeits.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I still have a smaller glass piece I made a long long time ago that had similarities to his work. Though at that time, I didn't have or know anything about his work. I'll look for that too. From what I know, he mostly had Texas chert material too.
As for the size and material he used, I have not tried to match it, though I am certain I can name a few knappers that would have the right size material and skill to replicate.

OP
OP
M

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Had Texas chert material too" Would I be right to assume that Texas chert is knapper friendly (very workable) or not necessarily ?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know nothing at all about knapping, but the intricacy of those pieces are mind boggling. How you could achieve work like that without breaking them just blows my mind.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Had Texas chert material too" Would I be right to assume that Texas chert is knapper friendly (very workable) or not necessarily ?

I have to answer yes and no. Some is good right from the start, some needs to be heat treated to make it glassier and easier to knap. And some of it just doesn't work right no matter what you try! But mostly, the cherts from there work well and come in bigger sizes than in other regions. Like here in Pa, natural material is very small if even able to be found!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude... Yes, I am typically in Awe every time I look at the pieces... Very thin, flat, wide and long... And then all the barbs chipped into the sides... Just awesome

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Im glad I still had it. I had to go through a few cigar boxes though!
It isn't exactly like a Tussinger look-a-like... But I made this when I was about 16 and at that time I didn't know a thing about his style points, so it's kinda ironic ad closer ad they really are... My edges aren't as intricate either, but it is what it is.

Attachments

• 1426288958754.jpg
    1426288958754.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 145

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the first Tussinger that I have. There is a label and the label is old too, but you can read anything really clearly either... I wish it would have his name or signature but I'm sure at one time it read some bogus location etc...

Attachments

• 1426289254156.jpg
    1426289254156.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 1426289269998.jpg
    1426289269998.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 177

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here is my prize. I got this one at the same time as the other. They were in a box together wrapped with old blue foam and some string. The other one was face up in the box and when I flipped it over and saw this one... I remember being complete awe...I could believe how perfect it wad, I still can't believe that it wasn't broken... These will never leave me, it will be up to my son to sell them out keep them, but I'm just 35 so I have no plans of worrying about that any time soon.

Attachments

• 1426289504929.jpg
    1426289504929.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 1426289535522.jpg
    1426289535522.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 170
OP
OP
M

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Your examples don't disappoint the eye or the imagination. Those are unique pieces of artifact history both relatively new and ancient at the same time. The lace work around the larger piece is what's so hard to duplicate. At approximately 6"and 71/2"s respectively those are probably some of his larger works.
Thanks for showing!
I'm going to try to tag a web site onto here but not sure I know how to ( I'm to old for some of this electronic wizardry). You've probably already seen PA...digger, but anyone interested in knowing more about Mack Tussinger and these eccentric pieces will enjoy the information.
If the following won't open you'll have to type it in.http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2010septembertussingereccentricspage1.htm

OP
OP
M

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PADirtDigger, your glass piece is pretty creative too, it does resemble some aspects of Tussinger's triple basal notched pieces.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The masters of this type of stone working was the Mayan's. They used Obsidian which is much easier to chip but also easier to break, their work was much larger in size and detail. To do this type of work you have to be a master of and understand the basics of fracture mechanics and have a steady hand, good tools made for each small notch and good support for your work piece. These piece are nice and way above anything that most knappers can do, but what the Mayans did, makes these pieces look like beginners art. Either way this man was an artist before and above his time and kept a lost art alive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread