rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this piece of slate one day out looking for the real stuff. It was raining one day and I had nothing else to do so I decided just to see how long it would take to fake one. I only worked on it for a hour so far and it isnt perfect but I feel if I knew how to actually make one it wouldnt take long. This is how it turned out with a modern drill. If the rock hadnt had the inclusion on the one side it would of turned out much better. Thinking on sanding the one side down some more. This is my 1st thing I ever tried to make I rather find mine already done and old, rock

Attachments

• SDC13334.JPG
    SDC13334.JPG
    754.9 KB · Views: 204
  • SDC13337.JPG
    SDC13337.JPG
    839.1 KB · Views: 188

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I would sign it in some way so it doesn't get confused with real artifacts in future.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a piece of a broken point with a sharp tip and ream those holes out more. Many of those type of gorgets were drilled from one side only. Large tapered hole on one side and tiny holes on the other. With the inclusion, it looks real. Nice work. Do another! Slate is pretty tame and a good place to start making hardstone artifacts. Gary

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I would sign it in some way so it doesn't get confused with real artifacts in future.

I was thinking on drawing a smiley face on one side and placing it for my friend to find as a joke while out on a hunt. I think that would be priceless

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting heads along the shore of a lake where several of my friends hunt. I found a Styrofoam cup and took out my little scissors that are on my Swiss army knife and cut out an arrowhead. I came out so nice I cut several more and left them. Didn't take long and got a call from a friend..."You dog! You got me!" Another time a friend got me. He put an arrowhead where I would find it. Nice point, wow! I turned it over and it had written on it "Piatt Co IL". Rats! Gary

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I was thinking on drawing a smiley face on one side and placing it for my friend to find as a joke while out on a hunt. I think that would be priceless

That can be fun, but it’s better if you are there in case the piece doesn’t get found.

I’ve known a couple of examples where there were foot prints and not the planted artifact.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That can be fun, but it’s better if you are there in case the piece doesn’t get found.

I’ve known a couple of examples where there were foot prints and not the planted artifact.

Dont worry it wouldnt be fun if I wasnt there to see it and I want it back. I dont think I will make another though

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

How cruel! - But still a great joke. Tell us how that one works out.
HH
dts

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cruel! - But still a great joke. Tell us how that one works out.
HH
dts

He is always finding points behind me when we walk in my prints. Sometimes I feel like he has some in his pockets and then acts like he found them cause I look at everything. I will give him something to find in my print, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread