willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a 3 5/8" point out of Flint River chert, a South West Georgia rock 100_6267.JPG 100_6268.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy they don't make them like that around here! It's gorgeous.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to get flint from the landfill at Dothan AL. Same/similar material as you posted. When heated, some of it is absolutely stunning. Nice point you made. I wish I could still chip. Gary

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a 4 1/2" Cumberland I made from flint from the landfill at Dothan, AL. I don't know if it's still open to knappers but if it is you should go there. Good & Plenty. Gary

DSC09223.JPG DSC09224.JPG

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a beautiful point , I think you would survive in the wild lol , what tools do you use and for somebody looking to start knapping do you recommend a kit ?

OP
OP
willjo

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a beautiful point , I think you would survive in the wild lol , what tools do you use and for somebody looking to start knapping do you recommend a kit ?

I use copper boppers they seem to work best for me. I just ordered a new set of boppers off e bay the solid boppers not led filled copper cap ones. All my flakers I make my self and a lot of my other tools. There is a lot of knapp-in's but the closest one to you might be flint ridge, in Ohio. This would be a good place to observe people knapping and to ask questions. You can watch u tube knapping videos but it is better in person. You may have looked at the kits and it would give you several of the pieces you need and you could try it and may not like it. If you need any more assistance and if I can help I would be more than glad to do so.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use copper boppers they seem to work best for me. I just ordered a new set of boppers off e bay the solid boppers not led filled copper cap ones. All my flakers I make my self and a lot of my other tools. There is a lot of knapp-in's but the closest one to you might be flint ridge, in Ohio. This would be a good place to observe people knapping and to ask questions. You can watch u tube knapping videos but it is better in person. You may have looked at the kits and it would give you several of the pieces you need and you could try it and may not like it. If you need any more assistance and if I can help I would be more than glad to do so.

Thanks for the info and advice much appreciated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions