Mt. Jasper Rhyolite

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a couple of points I made out of MJ rhyolite 20 yrs. ago. A guy from NH sent me some chunks and wanted some points. Mean stuff for a midwestern knapper not used to it. I sent him these 3 points. Gary

MVC-537S.JPG Mvc-538s.jpg Mvc-539s.jpg Mvc-540s.jpg

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the points. Was it tough to flute? What method did you use to flute? Looks like it took a couple shots on the one side.
Beautiful work.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the points. Was it tough to flute? What method did you use to flute? Looks like it took a couple shots on the one side.
Beautiful work.

I fluted it with a lever jig. First side shown I got a good long flute but crooked. Had to take another one to flatten it out a bit. Side two, first flute was a dud. Reset platforms and took two narrower flutes so five altogether. Gary

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work , looks like you figured out how to work with it. It has some nice color to it for rhyolite most of the pieces I find are just a dull grey but sometimes a few nice streaks of a darker blue color running thru

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
You may want to toss it into a kiln and crank it up to 900. Bet that will change it. I know of guys that cooked some lower grade obsidian and it changed a bit. It is just a thought. Still nice looking work on that tough stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread