Horse Creek Flint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a box of Horse Cr. from the internet from someone in TN selling it. It arrived and it was mostly junk. I only got one point from it, but it is a nice one.

DSC09264.JPG DSC09263.JPG

One piece I got told the story. The Horse Cr. deposit appears to be bedded as opposed to nodular. (Bedded is one continuous sheet) The material is blue, with lenses of red material that is higher quality in the center. The red material is surrounded by a band of yellow. Gary

DSC09270.JPG DSC09271.JPG

Dirttrax

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen it bedded its always been in nodules. Not saying that it isn't with a guarantee but I've seen truck loads of nodules. Locals here who collect and sell it will bust it open to inspect it before they carry it out or bop bigger pieces down to carry it out. Beautiful work on the point also, you got skills!

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do the nodules look like? Are they flattened or ball shaped? I've never been to the quarry area and have never seen freshly quarried rock.

Thanks for the flowers. I knapped for 22 yrs. but had to give it up due to repetitive motion injuries to my shoulder, elbow, and wrist. Gary

Dirttrax

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do the nodules look like? Are they flattened or ball shaped? I've never been to the quarry area and have never seen freshly quarried rock.

Thanks for the flowers. I knapped for 22 yrs. but had to give it up due to repetitive motion injuries to my shoulder, elbow, and wrist. Gary

They vary but mostly rounded id say. Here is a random piece that was laying in the shop that has been hit with a bopper.
hcc.jpg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice point. I hate to buy rock sight unseen for this very reason

I know what you mean. I wanted to try some and didn't know where to get it otherwise. The one point I got out of it made up for the price I paid for the box. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions