High Ridge Crescent

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the late 80’s I got a call from a knapper buddy from the St. Louis area inviting me on a rock run. A construction project had opened up just south of St. Louis and there was lots of rock available. The project was a housing addition along MO 30 near the town of High Ridge. The rock was Crescent, a subtype of Burlington chert. It is usually white but this particular deposit was heavily colored, making it very desirable.

Roads and underground utilities were finished and the backhoes were starting to dig basements on the dozens of lots. Every time they dug into a lot for a basement, they dug up limestone and a layer of the colored stone. It was quickly dubbed “High Ridge Crescent”. Back then, there probably weren’t more than a dozen knappers in the St. Louis area, and it seemed like they were all there loading up. There were piles of limestone and flint everywhere with end loaders loading the stuff in dump trucks and hauling it away. The dump site was found later and turned into a kind of sub-quarry. It was a colored flint free for all.

I spent 4 or 5 hrs. there and got, if I remember right, six 5-gallon buckets, or around 350 lbs. of rock. I drove an old Jeep CJ7 back then and that’s was about a load for it. Enjoyed the rock run and meeting some new knappers, then headed home with my cache. I spent the next few months processing the rock and chipping points. I chipped enough for one good frame, then gave away or traded off the rest.

Here is one nice piece I saved for posterity. This is pretty much what we were hauling out of High Ridge back then. Some pieces were even larger than this, most were smaller.

DSC09240.JPG DSC09242.JPG

Here’s the frame and close ups of some of the points I made from the High Ridge material. I had been knapping 4 yrs. or so when I made these. Gary

DSC09259.JPG DSC09258.JPG DSC09257.JPG DSC09256.JPG DSC09255.JPG DSC09254.JPG DSC09251.JPG DSC09249.JPG DSC09248.JPG DSC09244.JPG DSC09260.JPG DSC09246.JPG DSC09262.JPG

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Nice stuff, great looking points. Did you cook any of that rock or knap it raw. It kind of reminds me of Alibates. I would travel down from Michigan for a load of that stuff. We don't have much up here.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. I can't believe you were doing that at 4 years in! I've been at it 12 years and would struggle to reproduce half of those. That group shot made me run for my copy of Waldorf's The Art of Flint Knapping because it looks so much like the cover shot!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
My points aren't there that good either Keith but I try. You are right about that Waldorf cover.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice stuff, great looking points. Did you cook any of that rock or knap it raw. It kind of reminds me of Alibates. I would travel down from Michigan for a load of that stuff. We don't have much up here.

Believe it or not, only two points were cooked. The Table Rock is heated and the Clovis in the last pic is also. It worked so well raw that I didn't really need to cook it.

The housing edition was finished years ago. I doubt you could find a single piece around there now. Until another deposit comes up, I think it's safe to say High Ridge Crescent is extinct. Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. I can't believe you were doing that at 4 years in! I've been at it 12 years and would struggle to reproduce half of those. That group shot made me run for my copy of Waldorf's The Art of Flint Knapping because it looks so much like the cover shot!

Thanks. I'm a fast learner and I knapped a lot. Also had good teachers. I had a first edition of Waldorf's book that was signed. I loaned it out and never got it back. I finally learned never to loan out books!

Also, the Clovis in the last pic was made much more recently. I probably had 20 yrs. knapping by the time I made that one. Gary

Last edited:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Nice knapping. Four years experience then. Wow, Impressive.

It interesting that you didnt heat treat the stone, that it was naturally colorful.

I travel through High Ridge often to visit my son and his family who live outside Byrnes Mill. I was at the High Ridge Elks recently for a turkey shoot.

Back in the 70's I used to walk the fields outside of Crecent, and camp back in the hills. Now Crecent is all built up but back then it was all farms and the small town of Crecent. I had in laws that grew up there and still live there today. Back then I lived in Pacific, west of Crecent.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a beautiful looking material and the ones you knapped are incredible... I can’t pick a favorite do you have a favorite one ?

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a beautiful looking material and the ones you knapped are incredible... I can’t pick a favorite do you have a favorite one ?

I think my favorite is the dovetail, 3rd point pic down. Not as much color as the others but it came out looking about right for an IL dovetail. Thanks for the compliment. Gary

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think my favorite is the dovetail, 3rd point pic down. Not as much color as the others but it came out looking about right for an IL dovetail. Thanks for the compliment. Gary

That dovetail does look good. You obviously handled some old ones along the way to get it to come out that way. The Snyder also looks spot on for the type, that's probably my favorite of the group if we are tabulating votes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread