Containing the devil flakes...

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple of ravines on my land I dedicated to debitage. I have plenty. Here's one of my dumps. You have to be careful where you put debitage. I will be there for the next 10,000 yrs. Gary

DSC07319.JPG DSC07321.JPG DSC07793.JPG

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping for advice on how to set up an area to knap where the flying flakes can be contained and disposed So we dont have to worry about stepping on the shards.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
OK, I thought you were knapping in barefeet. And several do at knap ins but not me. As for what I do with the chips. I bought a large used paint tarp at a garage sale and cut a 10 by 10 piece out of it to knap on. When I am done I toss the chips in the garbage can. The cloth tarp rolls up nice and tight compared to the blue tarps.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
When I used to play around with knapping, I would just dug a pit in our wooded area and dump the chips from the tarp into the hole. I tossed in some pennies just in case some future archaeologist tries to figure out why a really low skilled knapper tried to make points that spanned 15,000 years of human prehistory (with chert/flint from a lot of different places.) I read about tossing in pennies and it made sense, I guess you could toss in almost anything modern that will last thousands of years.

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used to play around with knapping, I would just dug a pit in our wooded area and dump the chips from the tarp into the hole. I tossed in some pennies just in case some future archaeologist tries to figure out why a really low skilled knapper tried to make points that spanned 15,000 years of human prehistory (with chert/flint from a lot of different places.) I read about tossing in pennies and it made sense, I guess you could toss in almost anything modern that will last thousands of years.

yeah those new pennies won't last that long. the new metal content uncle sam decided on means they break down pretty rapidly. i've found some unrecognizable from decomposition after a short time in the dirt. maybe some modern lead sinkers? they patina but don't decompose into nothing.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be late to the party but I’ve been knapping over a big box, it catches 95% I sweep up the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread