A Few Point I Knapped

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started knapping in '85. I had to quit in '07 due to repetitive motion injuries to my shoulder, elbow, and wrist from knapping. I made many styles of points but my favorites were fluted points and Cahokia gem points. Here's a frame of paleos that I still have on my wall.

DSC08931.JPG

Starting at the top, going clockwise: Kaolin, India Jasper, Kaolin, Horse Creek, Pierson, Kaolin, St. Genevieve, Harrison Co., Alibates, Mook Jasper (Australia), Buffalo River, Holland, Carnelian (Tunisia), Kaolin, Green Opal (Wash. State), Dothan AL landfill, St. Genevieve, Kaolin, Carter Cave, High Ridge Crescent, Harrison Co., Kaolin.

Close-up pics on request.

This is a frame of Cahokia gem points I was commissioned to make for a collector. She wanted my best work with top quality material. She got her wish, but paid dearly. I could probably name all these raw material types but there's too many!

BCahokiaGems.jpg

This pic was shot for a calendar page. I made the 23 Cahokias in the upper right corner.

CahokiaGem points.jpg

I made Cahokias out of heated Kaolin just like the Indians that lived at Cahokia. Kaolin gets colorful and very glossy when cooked at 450°-500°F. These are preforms for Cahokia points, except for the center piece.

kaolin4.JPG

Heated Kaolin Snyders

KaoSny.jpg

Unnamed mystery flint from near Eddyville, KY.

ky3.JPG

Knife River Flint from N. Dak.

MVC-132S.JPG

Payson from Adams Co. IL (aka Brown Co. flint)

MVC-133S.JPG

Rio La Paz jasper from a soldier friend stationed in Honduras.

MVC-821S_3.JPG

Alibates Folsom with flute spalls.

MVC-857S.JPG

Kaolin spud. Knapped into rough shape, then ground and polished.

z4.JPG

Last one is a Kaolin Agee

This is a good sampling of the kind of items I made. Gary

Attachments

• MVC-870S.JPG
    MVC-870S.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 89

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang you are pretty good....you would have been a good person to have around the camp....in another life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread