Modern Points Are They Worth Buying

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Been spending a lot of time in antique shops all over the North East.

Love Native American artifacts. I know these are not ancient artifacts. Pretty easy to tell the new from the old.

But some it's hard to tell. My question is are these worth buying and collecting. I get them cheap say 2 bucks a piece so it's hard to pass up on them.

They look really good in display cases.

Just curious to see what others have to say about modern point collecting.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Attachments

• Points 2.jpg
    Points 2.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 135

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you could collect anything you like. If you collect those, please be sure to keep the provenance real...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are inexpensive enough and you like them yes, by all means purchase them. I have a few myself I am not sure if they are old or newer.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The price is in the buyers eye.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's many reasons to collect modern pieces. I know some folks that like to collect the work of specific knappers, specific material... Some collect them to make jewelry from. Some make knives, arrows, spears. Some use them for adornments on items such as knife handles, walking sticks, flipping sticks, furniture, ceramic tile, etc... Some only collect specific types and some do just as you are doing. The list goes on. I have a few in my collection as most all collectors do so if you like 'em, JUST DO IT! as they say.

Edit: An example of talent, imaginaiton and generosity. I don't think my buddy bluestone from San Angelo, Texas would mind if I posted an example of his great work for others to see here. A true charm for a necklace and a hat pin knife! What a guy!

003.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG

:lightbulb: :usflag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yeah I agree I always buy what I like so it's never a mistake.

I prefer the real deal but I've picked these up along the way. Dont see too many points out there and I pick almost every weekend somewhere.

Still nice pieces of craftmanship with them being modern.

Yes those are nice pieces of jewelry.

Jer

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are a lot of people who intentionally collect modern made arrowheads. Lots of exotic stones, flaking styles, temperature control, etc. I am not a "connoisseur" but here is a frame I keep in my office with pieces made by several well known knappers. For the most part, none of the styles and stones match what would be found anciently and several are signed.

The pieces you posted are mass made pieces from India (by the looks of them), they won't appreciate in value and they aren't particularly well made, but if they caught your eye then they might be worth a couple of bucks to you or someone else.

Attachments

• 0A5D073F-26F9-4465-B2CA-1B2B0BCE0D5F.jpeg
    0A5D073F-26F9-4465-B2CA-1B2B0BCE0D5F.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 127

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't "collect" them per se but I would pay $2 for them hell yeah, they would look cool in a fish tank or something.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
$2.00 is cheap. Turn them into necklaces or hat pins and give them to your kids or grandkids. I bought a 100 of the India points for $30.00 and made hat pins out of them and give them away at knapins to kids with full disclosure that Indians made them from India.

joshuaream is that medium grey point , middle top right above the large white blade a Jake Webster point?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions