Clovis platter

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A one time experiment many years ago with "Clovis platters." Raw Georgetown. I started out trying to drive the largest flakes I could off the biface using direct percussion with an elk antler hammer, testing the idea of the biface as a flake core. Once I got to a width to thickness ration of 8:1 the next attempt at a usable flake overloaded the system and the platter split.

Maintaining as much length and width as possible I used an antler punch to make two fluted knives, thinking that was the next logical step. If used future re-sharpenings would eventually morph these into fluted projectile points:

Sorry no pictures of the flakes. The board the finished pieces sit on is a 2 by 6.

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing this! I have never seen a modern day knapper attempt one and have always been curious of the results.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting failure break. The platter splits a guy sent me from Texas -- apparently intentional -- start with a low-angled break that rolls into a right-angled one as it traverses the platter. Yours is 90 degrees end to end.

Dec 12, 2022
16709104445945419680190358526560.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread