63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks live in some mighty fine country! I passed through Montana on my way through the Peace Park going north and again on my way back south, total enjoyment!! I found it interesting how the forest service in Montana deals with bad bears, they tack up signs on trees warning folks not to go in there as there is a bad bear present. At least that is what I saw in 1993.

I've also heard about how on some of the old ranches one person related to the ranch would take care of the cash strong box. Usually the box was buried in the ground, best bank around at the moment. This worked out fine till something happened to the person that buried the box as without the person the box was lost. Just stories. Best of luck..........63bkpkr

OP
OP
J

jayfriesen

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2013
Bear signs all over just go prepared in the woods... buried cash probably true hope to find one someday

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there Jay,
I understand about going into the woods prepared, where I backpack/prospect in California there a quite a few bears. In the 70's, someone with great wisdom, decided that bad bears did not need to be done away with just relocated where they would not have people to bother. Well they dumped them in 'my canyon' and I started loosing food backs and having camps destroyed. After having some very close calls I started carrying some heavy fire power, 454 Casull, and at least I know that if I need to I can stop one dead in its tracks. Bears are lovely animals and I've not the least desire to kill one but when it comes to my life or an animals life well that is where the 454 comes in..............63bkpkr

Vizzio

Jun 11, 2012
Missoula, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2 w/ 11" DD Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Missoula here, waiting for the thaw :) Got a new e-trac to play with.

OP
OP
J

jayfriesen

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2013
Looks like it may be thawing out soon if we can keep this weather up a little longer... I'm in missoula also!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Columbia Falls we've been detecting all winter long. The shores of flathead lake are detectable to high water mark and some places are quite productive. Also been detecting plowed feilds with a polaski to dig with.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
T S, Anaconda eh? I live in Minnesota and once or twice a yr I visit a son (and family) that live in Anaconda......been going out there for a long time. Whenever I go out there, I detect the area. My best find in Anaconda was a Barber quarter. Then once at Goodman park I found a stack of 9 dimes (clad) neatly stacked in sand by some play ground equipment. The ground in Anaconda is really tough to dig in....stone and gravel. Take a little drive to P-burg and about a mile before you enter the town, on your right side you'll see a sign, :Granite City". It's a ghost town approx. 4-1/2 miles up a mountain. I've been up there a few times, but never found anything great.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy Goose-O. I am an Anaconda native and have been to Granite many times but nothing either. I think it has been hit pretty hard over the years and not much there or I haven't been able to find anything. No wonder there is nothing left in BG park, as you must have found it all. Ha ha. I live about half a block away from that park and it is always good for clad when I can't find anything anywhere else but I did find a wheatie on the softball diamond there once. I think that Ringy and King George of the " Diggers " have gone over this town pretty well so when I do find something it is a big deal for me. Only been detecting less than a year since I retired. I was able to find a barber dime where a old Boy Scout meeting place was years ago but that is my oldest coins so far. Just got back from Washoe Park which another place I like to detect but again nothing but clad. I will say I would rather find clad than nothing at all so not complaining. As you well know with all the EPA removal of top soil here I think a lot of good coins have been taken away.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
My son works with King George's wife and they talk about detecting. Anyhow, it got around that the next time I'm in Anaconda, George said he will take me out locally IF he's not on the road being filmed. I'm also retired and have been tectin' (The cool was to say 'detecting') for a long time. I live near St Cloud in central Minnesota and I detect 5 or 6 nights a week during the summer (cooler then). I travel somewhat & I have detected in other countries. I started detecting when my kids purchased a detector because I'm a fanatical coin collector.....been collecting coins a very long time.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucky bugger getting a special invitation from the local hero ( at least in my metal detecting book ). I bet KG knows all the good spots here but then he has probably already detected them. :laughing7:
That is cool your son works with KG's wife. I sometimes see them around town when they are back home from the show. They are really very nice guys and don't seem to have let all the fame go to their heads.

I can't believe how many people still or have metal detected here in this area. Never see anyone out but a lot of people I talk to say they have a metal detector at home in the garage and used it years ago but don't anymore. With my detector being a new toy and the $$$ it cost I have hit the parks and tot lots pretty hard this year so I am afraid next year might not be so good for me. I hope I can just stay as enthusiastic through the long winter months. Here I thought I was getting into a new hobby that had never made it into old sleepy Anaconda and I was going to kill it here. Wrong.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
T S, cruise some backroads in Montana and find abandoned buildings. Many times I did that and detected around them, finding a few good things, but no silver. Some yrs ago I used to go to New Mexico to hunt ghost towns. I went for 6 yrs straight in the spring and did well. Also, I have a neat book, "Ghost Towns of Montana" by Donald Miller (1981) and it shows many (37) ghost towns with many pictures. I also have a series of (3) 4 page articles of ghost towns in Montana that Gary Speck had printed in a detecting magazine, "Western & Eastern Treasures". It was in the Aug, Sept, and Oct issues of that magazine in 2000. There is a great write-up for Anaconda with many pictures. I could send you copies (12 pages) of this Montana article if you want me to. Oh well, it's time for me to finish some Halloween candy that I had left over from last night,

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you will forgive us for taking this thread into our own little back and forth between Goose-O and I. If you could send that article that would be great. We are into gold prospecting also so we are in the area of a lot of old prospecting cabins and ghost town in our summer travels. I really love old tokens better than old coins but anything old is good. I think our friends have that GTofM book and we will take a look at theirs. Thanks. I may even know your son as I worked at the local Dee Motors for 40 years.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
My son purchased a few autos from Dee motors over the yrs. Maybe a yr ago he purchased a new Chevy Equinox from them.....the 1st new car he's ever purchased. Yes, you'll know him.......he's been in the Anaconda area for around 20 yrs. He lives up Lost Creek. Go to my profile and send me your addy and I'll copy the articles and send them to you. DON'T post your address on this forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread