prospecting western montana

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi folks, hope all is well. we are moving to idaho, north of couer d' alene are but want to know if there are area's of western montana that are
decent for gold prospecting? oldest son lives in n. idaho and when we are there we go out prospecting. have not prospected in montana but
have read some about it. mainly sluice and pan.
thanks in advance, i appreciate it very much.

maui

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thee are some public prospecting areas on Libby creek just east of Libby. The yaak river near Troy has gold also good luck

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info. dirtscratcher, i appreciate it.

Goose-O, we have been to n. idaho many time and usually stay 3-4 months. we have been there in the winter also. change? yep it will be but we are looking forward
to it.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I really don't blame you. Many snows ago, I lived in Illinois with moderate winters and then moved to central Minnesota. We easily adjusted to the winters here....no sweat.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goose-O, it was just time for us to take a different course in life [ what we have left lol. ] son and i go prospecting in n. idaho [ we belong to a couple clubs and have a great time.
we have been talking about trying out montana for some prospecting and lite camping. son has been in montana many times and tells me of it's beauty.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I drove my son to Montana many yrs ago to attend college. He stayed, got married there, has a family (6 kids), and hunts his rear end off with his kids. I visit him at least once a yr and have been out there at least 30 to 35 times. It's 1040 miles from my home to his.....I drive straight through, I like driving.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it really agreed with him, that's cool. driving like you, straight through for all those miles, i will not attempt it, do like to drive at night. we love to travel but not at night LOL.

warbike39

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Maui,
Western Montana is full of gold, I've seen it there since I was a kid.
I grew up in N. Idaho, north of Coeurdalene myself and my Uncle got me hooked prospecting when I was young. I would spend most of my summers learning from him.
He had a 40 acre gold claim that I visited him at only a couple years ago (he is now 85).
There is actually gold around North Idaho too....the first gold found in the State of Idaho was on the banks of the Pend Oreille River.
Dave

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave, thanks for the info. oldest son and i get out [ when he is not working ] and have a great time but find only a speck or two. we were talking about making a trip to montana [ when it gets warmer ] to check out differant area's and explore montana and it's beauty.
dave, what part of montana are you located?
take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread