a "Ten Rod Smell" between Big Fork and Blue Grade ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ronan pioneer. (Ronan, Mont.), 04 Dec. 1914.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

The Ronan pioneer. (Ronan, Mont.) 1910-1970, December 04, 1914, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the treasure story. I've done a little research myself but I am unable to find Blue Grade. I'm sure somebody who knows that area better may know where it is located. If I lived near Flathead Lake I would definitely try to do some more research on this.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
According to this article Blue bay is also known as Blue Grade camp. ARTICLE

There is a lot of real estate between Blue Bay and Big Fork almost all of which is private property.

Last edited:

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live on Flathead lake near Woodsbay between Blue Bay and Bigfork. like Shunkaha said lots of real estate between and just about all is private. Not to mention all the cherry orchards through there as well. Flathead Lake cherries are known the world over, the people here make their living off of the orchards and will not let you on their property to dig for anything.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi'

Getting stuff to start pannin that gold! Were goin out next week... :)

I'm Dave (Pa) just a Just Casual Junkie :twisted:

we don't have much gold in this state so I've got to take off work, pack up half my house and all the parifinalia and drive to another state for 3 or 4 days of sun up to sun downs. I have a small Joe name 11/2" dredge a good keene sluice lots of buckets, shovles, sives, and pans, and most inportantly a willing wike and teenage slave...............

Most times we go to Mineral Va. but we just joined GPAA and are looking into going to north carolina this summer. Kinda hard to get the time off of work tho becouse I'm a pool and spa installer we do all of our work durring the summer. My boss hate's gold! Hell wit em :evil:

Hey buddy how you been. Just tk5 let you know we've had pretty good luck with orchards as far as permission goes. Most have camp sites from pickers that are pretty old.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, this one was easy for my wife to find and it had something not included with the article. Several old papers carried the story of the man with the gift.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The funny thing about the story is the quiet man hunts with a water witching stick.

johngfoster

Feb 7, 2016
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
30" Prospector BGT,
Garret pans (10", 14", SuperSluice),
Home-built Gold Hog-ish Highbanker a la Raptor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other factor to consider here is that half of the east shore of Flathead Lake is on the reservation. I can just imagine the flak you would get trying to convince the tribe that the gold isn't theirs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread