gold panning/nugget hunting in Phillipsburg and Helena Area

shibumi

Greenie
Aug 18, 2007
My wife and I are going out to Montana in 2 weeks for our honey moon. To dig for sappires in Helena and Phillisburg. I would like to try gold panning and nugget hunting while I am out there. Where can I find info on places I can do that in those areas? And what are the laws about detecting ghost towns in your guys state. Thanks very much keep swinging and good luck. And what are some cool areas/place to sight see while out there?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
shibumi said:
My wife and I are going out to Montana in 2 weeks for our honey moon. To dig for sappires in Helena and Phillisburg. I would like to try gold panning and nugget hunting while I am out there. Where can I find info on places I can do that in those areas? And what are the laws about detecting ghost towns in your guys state. Thanks very much keep swinging and good luck. And what are some cool areas/place to sight see while out there?

Welcome to Montana in a few weeks :)

State owned property - No detecting.
Privately owned property - Get permission.

Helena... you're only a few hours from Yellowstone National Park. Maybe 4 hours from Glacier National Park.

Um... very close by is a cool half day event... a boat ride at the Gates of the Mountains. I've done that a bunch, and always enjoyed it when family visits.

Butte is South of Helena and has a few cool museums...

Mar 3, 2007
Northwestern Montana
You will love Montana. I hope this message isn't too late. Since you are going to be at Gem Mountain you should check out Crystal Mountain. You can dig your own crystal, some find ameryths, just south of Wise River. It's only $7.00 for parking and it's open till dusk. I gold pan in any creek that looks good. It's fun to stop for lunch and pan a little. I've never been questioned except for how to do it.
We were in Helena last week and bought some gravel at spokane bar. Found a few and brought more gravel home but haven't had time to look.
Good Luck!
Ladyprospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions