Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horror movie of the 50's/60's

You have to admit that Hollywood were churning out sci-fi movies like there was no tomorrow during the 50's/60's. Some were great and still hold up as being frightening by today's standards. I think the greatest weapon back then was physiological drama. You have to remember too, that special effects were in their baby stages, so in essence nonexistent for the most part.

For me the king of horrors was The Thing. Even though we didn't see Mr Turnip for most of the movie, you were at the edge of your seat waiting for him to return. By the way, they are in the process of making a new Thing, to be released later this year. I just hope that it doesn't go the way of Carpenter's version and they stick to the original premise.

Now, maybe you can help me with the tittle of this sci-fi movie. It had to be late 50's, or very early 60's. This is the one where the aliens submerged themselves underground in a little farm. The aliens were also able to make the ground like quicksand that would pull people under.. It's been so many years since I've seen it, I would like to catch it again.

Also, feel free to mention your favorite old time horror.... Like the Crawling Eye :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Horror movie of the 50's/60's

5 Million Years to Earth is still my Favorite Horror Movie

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry Spart! don't watch horror movies! The good, the bad, and the Ugly. "You boy's gonna draw them pistols , Or whistle dixie" (Eastwood).
Can't watch it enuff.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

old campy godzilla vs .................... movies

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After an extensive search I finally found it "Invaders from Mars" 1953

You can't forget the Blob, House on Haunted Hill, Psycho, and many others.

This is the full version 1:18 min.. Very campy, like the a really early version of "The Body Snatchers" meets "the Mole People", meets "the Invasion from Outer Space." I never knew it was in color, we only had a B&W set back then :tongue3:

If you are going to watch the movie click it twice and see it from youtube where you can go full screen

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Spartacus,

Do you remember who played "The Thing"? It was James Arness of "Gunsmoke" fame who just passed away last week.

My favorite horror movie of the 50/60's, wow, there are so many possibilities:

The Haunting, which was made into a awful remake with Liam Neeson a few years back.

Just about anything Hammer films produced. ;D

And lets not forget "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte". One of the best revenge scenes, ever!

Oh, and "Day of the Triffids"!

Ok, I'd better stop now. :D

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smudge, what was funny is that while I was searching for the title of the movie (Invasion From Mars) I saw so many others that were just classics. I was so young when I saw Invasion From Mars, I had to watch it again last night. It really is several movies rolled into one. OK, forget the special effects, this was 1953 :dontknow: but the storyline was good.

SO if you never saw it, the whole movie is in the post above.

I still remember the first movie to give me nightmares.... The Crawling Eye I had to be maybe 5, or 6 :laughing7: How bad could it be staring Forest Tucker :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Fly,was the one that scared me the most and then The Creature of the Black Lagoon,The Thing,The Mole People and many others.Then there's a new one comming out soon called Super 8.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions