Todays Movie....... The Ghost and the Darkness

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ghost and the Darkness (excellent movie)

Directed by Stephen Hopkins. Starring Michael Douglas, Val Kilmer, Tom Wilkinson. Set in 1898, this movie is based on the true story of two lions in Africa that killed 130 people over a nine month period. Lt. Col. John Paterson was sent to East Africa to build a railway bridge. He had a deadline to meet but was confident he and his large workforce of Africans and Indians can get the job done in time. John's was a man of his word and got things done - which he demonstrated on his first day by killing a lion that had been pestering the workforce. This earned John respect, but it didn't last very long because a few weeks later 2 new lions began visiting and they're man-eaters. The film is based on a true story and during the construction of the bridge, the lions would enter the workers camp to kill. Believing them not to be real lions, the locals name them 'The Ghost' and 'The Darkness'. After losing dozens of workers to the lions, the railroad company brought in Remington, an American 'great white hunter', to kill them, but even his reputation for being the best could not prevent yet more carnage. It is believed that over 130 people were killed by the two lions in just a few months.

http://stagevu.com/video/chmqqkycvmfa

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen the movie. But if you really want to dig deeper you should read some of the stories I did back in the '60s... one of the books that covered this incindence I THINK was "Man Eaters"... can't remember the author... pretty hairy reading concerning 'The Ghost' and 'The Darkness'. (I read a lot, always have, and remember most of what I read). The den was found, full of human bones, and they finally killed the lions. The railroad went through... the lions weren't just preying on a bridge crew... they were following the progression of the roadbed and taking workers nearly nightly. Gristly descriptions from witnesses as recorded by the author. Freaking cats were eating workers alive after dark once they took them, within hearing of the overnight camps established as the roadbed progressed. Count on your part may be a little low... seems the cats took more than that in my memory (but I suffer 'short term memory loss'), and I read these stories 40+ years ago). But if you run with it, you can get first hand accounts as relayed to authors.
Robin

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep those cats were bad bad bad -- it was a time when nature vs man was not "for sport" but was life and death on both sides.

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this an old post,but that movie in surround sound mode will freak you the hell out....it sounds like the cats are on you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions