Got to see The Hateful Eight in 70mm Christmas Day

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A very good movie, very good. My kids and I saw it together on Friday at the AMC Forum 30 in Sterling Hights, MI. It was a long showing with a solid 20 minutes of intermission and fitting music - came out to be over 3 hours. News stated there would only be 90 70mm screenings nationwide, so we were very fortunate. This one will be a classic.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm boycotting it, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

Tarrantino said some pretty nasty things about police officers.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in 70mm ? did it really make anything seem different ?
I haven't been in a Movie Theater since the 1970's
or a Drive in since the 1980's.
I think they ran 35mm back then

I will never watch it because it's a Western & not an early Comedy .
I'm pretty sure the Last Serious Western I saw was the Good The Bad & the Ugly when it was Brand New. & that would have Been 1966 in an indoor theater .
at age 11 then, I don't even remember if I enjoyed it.

just wondering why they feel it's necessary to say in 70mm

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm boycotting it, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

Tarrantino said some pretty nasty things about police officers.

I have noticed that most of the Hollywood elite don't make any sense at all. They make movies where everyone shoots anything that moves, blood & guts everywhere and yet they are anti-gun, anti-police etc.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's called the constitution of the united states and freedom of speech .
as long as it's said in Public or Private
& not banned by the owner of the establishment it's said in.
I don't see where he didn't have the right to speak his opinion.

no different then the right of the people to keep and bear Arms.

either you are pro constitution or not .

sorry !

Politics are not allowed here.
This is Not a Free Country.
this is A forum Owned & with Rules.
so I'll stop. too

Last edited:

Southpaw13

Greenie
Sep 1, 2014
Palo Cedro, Ca
Detector(s) used
Nox 900, Gold Racer, Racer 2, Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also just saw this movie in 70mm,wife and daughter didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I thought the old school with chapter headings and intermission was pretty nostalgic.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My old eyes didn't really see a major difference. I guess he wanted a gala such as Ben Hur - bring back the power of Cinemascope or something. It mostly worked for the outdoor scenes, but most of the movie was indoors.

Lots & lots of blood & killings. I don't like the guy, but I'd have watched this anyway. MY $8.50 for the ticket didn't put much more than a buck in his pocket. It's the millions of others who watch it who will enrich him further. His politics ain't mine.

Luriya

Greenie
May 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half these guys in hollywood probably have horrible morals and viewpoints but that didn't deter me. It was a decent movie. Still think Pulp Fiction is his best work.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What I like about Tarantino is his writing. The dialogue is very inventive and he gets actors that perfect for the parts. Most of the time he already has the cast in mind when he's writing the script. This film, like his others, seems even better each time I watch it. Tarantino doesn't glamorize the "Wild West" and really shows us how rough and ruthless frontier life was back then. If you enjoyed Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp in Tombstone you've got to see him as the meanest, grouchiest bounty hunter west of the Rio Grande.. and Sam Jackson is just perfect as the deadly Union Major feared by Jonny Rebs. It's just a great film.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
70mm is about larger negatives that can hold much more information and prints made from movies shot in this size are much larger too.
About 10X's the resolution of normal 35mm prints.
The movie Interstellar, which was shot in both 35mm and several scenes in 65mm, the prints in 35mm for most cinemas came on just a few rolls the theatres would play, if you caught this movie in IMAX playing in true 70mm, the way the director preferred people see it, that one came on 49 rolls weighing over 600lbs.
Better color, sharper images and in the case of Super Panavision 70 wider images that are not cropped like 2001: A Space Odyssey, West Side Story or Lawrence of Arabia.
Some of the large, wide scenes in movies like that have a different impact when seen in normal 35mm.
Also more room for audio tracks on 65/70mm movies.
It is an expensive process and takes some special equipment to do it justice which not all cinemas are equipped to handle so 35mm became the standard for most movie theatres long ago.
Most can't tell the difference unless you see each kind of print side by side but there is a difference...no matter what kind of content you are watching.

There are a few different processes under different names, the original Cinerama was a very wide image projected by 3 projectors on a curved screen that became popular in the 50's as an event used by the movie industry to combat a huge perceived threat...television.
70mm Cinerama movies are an attempt to imitate that early process, for instance.
More info here.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films

American 65/70 mm films

European 65/70 mm films

• Lawrence of Arabia (United Kingdom production USA distribution 1962) β€” Super Panavision 70
  • Flying Clipper β€” Traumreise unter weissen Segeln (West Germany 1962) β€” Superpanorama 70. A re-edited version was shown as Mediterranean Holiday (1964) in 70 mm Cinerama and in Wonderama in the USA
  • ShΓ©hΓ©razade (France/Spain/Italy 1963) β€” Superpanorama 70
  • La Tulipe noire/The Black Tulip (France/Italy/Spain 1964) β€” Superpanorama 70; shown in 70 mm Cinerama
  • Old Shatterhand (West Germany/Yugoslavia/France/Italy 1964) β€” Superpanorama 70
  • Onkel Toms HΓΌtte /La Case de l'Oncle Tom/Uncle Tom's Cabin (France/Italy/West Germany/Yugoslavia 1965) β€” Superpanorama 70
  • Der Kongress amΓΌsiert sich/Congress of Love (West Germany/Austria 1966) β€” Superpanorama 70
  • El FantΓ‘stico Mundo del Dr Coppelius /Dr. Coppelius (Spain/US 1966) β€” Superpanorama 70
  • Pampa Salvaje/Savage Pampas (Spain/Argentina/US 1966) β€” Superpanorama 70
  • Play Time (France 1967) β€” filmed with 65 mm Mitchell cameras, with an aperture masked for a non-standard aspect ratio of approximately 1.7:1
  • Con la muerte a la espalda/With Death On Your Back (Spain/France/Italy 1967) β€” Hi-Fi Stereo 70 [SUP][1][/SUP]
  • La Marca del Hombre Lobo (Spain 1968) β€” Hi Fi Stereo 70. Re-edited with new footage and released in the USA in 35 mm 3D as Frankenstein's Bloody Terror.[SUP][2][/SUP]
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (United Kingdom 1968) β€” Super Panavision 70
  • Ryan's Daughter (United Kingdom 1970) β€” Super Panavision 70
  • Liebe in drei Dimensionen/Love in 3D (West Germany 1973) β€” Triarama
  • Map of the Human Heart (Australia/United Kingdom 1993) β€” Panavision System 65. Released in 35mm only.
  • As Wonderland Goes By (Australia/Bulgaria 2012) - Panavision System 65

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread