A Great Treasure Movie
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

    Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ?Max
    17,343
    7446 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    A Great Treasure Movie

    Hello All,

    I have heard many talk about the "National Treasure" movies--but I actually thought these were much, Much less than stellar.


    I just watched a fantastic treasure movie called "King of California." Michael Douglas plays a father that has just been released from a mental institution and he returns home to live with his daughter who is 16. Abandoned by her mother, she's been living on her own in their house, and working fast food to make ends meet. He has this idea about a lost Spanish treasure--and he believes that he can find it after studying the diary of an early explorer. She doesn't know if she believes him or not...because he isn't exactly "with it" all the time mentally...and her doubts snowball when he tells her that his research indicates that the treasure is buried under an aisle in a local Costco.

    The movie is about their relationship, but it is an entertaining treasure hunt as well. I did have to suspend my disbelief on occasion--but at least he walks out in a field with a decent detector in the movie (not the $100 Bounty Hunter that Nick Cage jumps out of a $200,000 SnowCat with in "National Treasure"). They do a bit of law-breaking and detecting without permission (even back-hoe using without permission!), but in the context of the movie this seems to work well as a part of the plot.

    I can't say anything about the treasure--whether it is even real or not--because it would spoil the ending.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	King.jpg 
Views:	1100 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	197312


    Enjoy,


    Buckleboy
    2021 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    1820s-30s Gold Mourning Brooch
    Diamond solitaire ring from the beach
    GWI 17B George Washington Inaugural Button
    engraved piece of a colonial era gold item
    c.1870-80 Otis A. Smith .32cal rimfire pistol
    bullet mold "MASS ARMS CO" for the .36cal Adams Patent Revolver
    South Pacific Coast Railroad Lock 1876-1887
    Louisiana pelican coat button
    hammer from a percussion double barrel shotgun
    two cartridge box finials
    New York coat button
    Eagle "I" cuff button
    1809 Classic Head Half Cent
    1887 Seated Dime
    Two 1851-O?s, 1855-O, and 1857-O half dimes
    1895-S Barber Dime (dug by KFB)
    Quarter ounce of melted silver from a planation site
    Two 1943-P war nickels
    a dateless Mercury Dime
    Minieballs, Beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and some GawGag

    OUR 2020 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ar-review.html
    OUR 2019 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...9-wrap-up.html
    OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940


    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

  2. #2
    us
    American by Birth ~ Gun Owner by Right ~ Jesus by Choice

    Jan 2007
    George West, TX
    SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
    2,782
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    i loved the movie it was too funny. Reminds me of my dad and brother
    Dawn
    MCALLEN, TX

  3. #3
    us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    4,095
    139 times

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    Just finished it- great flick!

  4. #4
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    7,129
    64 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    bought it last week
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

  5. #5
    us
    "WP"

    May 2005
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi, Nokta Makro Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570, Minelab Explorer XS w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Sunray Stealth X-12 DD Coil
    3,583
    219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    This one is a new one, huh?? I think I saw it at the RedBox rental kiosk at McDonalds... I'll have to check it out today (free rental Monday ) and see if they have it. If not, I'll go rent it elsewhere. Thanks for the insight to the movie!

    Bran <><
    Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

    Rom. 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

  6. #6

    Dec 2007
    Tierra del Fuego
    Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
    3,274
    24 times

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    Looks like fun. I'll look for it.

    I guess I'm just easy, but I sure like Harrison Ford's treasure hunting movies, myself...

    Right at the top of my list is Treasure Island w Charleton Heston.
    Oliver Reed... well...

    rmptr
    I am a pathological liar and a functional illiterate.

  7. #7
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    11,346
    75 times

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    I wanna see it!! sounds like a fun one!

  8. #8
    us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    4,095
    139 times

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    OK guys, I got one for ya.... This drives me NUTS! I can never remember the title! It was a western.

    What was that flick where the guy goes to get the gold at the end and sticks his hand into the rattlesnake's den?

    I think the actor was either Steve McQueen or James Coburn...

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    7,129
    64 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro
    OK guys, I got one for ya.... This drives me NUTS! I can never remember the title! It was a western.

    What was that flick where the guy goes to get the gold at the end and sticks his hand into the rattlesnake's den?

    I think the actor was either Steve McQueen or James Coburn...
    thread hijacker
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

  10. #10
    us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    4,095
    139 times

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie


  11. #11
    us
    Mar 2008
    T.R.F. Mn.
    24

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    I watched King of California last night.I rather enjoyed it.I wonder if there will be a sequel?

  12. #12
    us
    "WP"

    May 2005
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi, Nokta Makro Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570, Minelab Explorer XS w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Sunray Stealth X-12 DD Coil
    3,583
    219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    I went ahead and bought the movie, since it was $5.50 to rent, and $9.50 to buy.
    All in all, it was a "decent" movie... but not one that makes my top treasure hunting movie list!
    Ending Omitted. lol!
    However, I did enjoy the research aspect that Michael Douglas did in the movie... kinda proving that he wasn't mentally unstable after all!

    Bran <><
    Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

    Rom. 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

    Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ?Max
    17,343
    7446 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by godisnum1
    I went ahead and bought the movie, since it was $5.50 to rent, and $9.50 to buy.
    All in all, it was a "decent" movie... but not one that makes my top treasure hunting movie list!
    I was disappointed that they didn't even "show" the treasure. To me, that never makes for a good treasure hunting movie.
    However, I did enjoy the research aspect that Michael Douglas did in the movie... kinda proving that he wasn't mentally unstable after all!

    Bran <><
    I have known folks that were mentally unstable--and some of them were quite talented in one specific area--like language, history, etc. So I found it quite believable.

    And in terms of the treasure--anything that they could've shown me would've undermined what the treasure was in my mind. It's the thrill of sights less seen. It is Joseph Campbell and the power of Myth. That which is not defined has the power for broader appeal. Things which have definite form and "fact" can only speak to us in one situation. It's the essence of large scale treasure hunting--the reason treasure stories grow bigger over time in subsequent retellings. I thought it was a perfect ending.


    (Pssst--don't give away the ending! )


    -Buckleboy
    2021 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    1820s-30s Gold Mourning Brooch
    Diamond solitaire ring from the beach
    GWI 17B George Washington Inaugural Button
    engraved piece of a colonial era gold item
    c.1870-80 Otis A. Smith .32cal rimfire pistol
    bullet mold "MASS ARMS CO" for the .36cal Adams Patent Revolver
    South Pacific Coast Railroad Lock 1876-1887
    Louisiana pelican coat button
    hammer from a percussion double barrel shotgun
    two cartridge box finials
    New York coat button
    Eagle "I" cuff button
    1809 Classic Head Half Cent
    1887 Seated Dime
    Two 1851-O?s, 1855-O, and 1857-O half dimes
    1895-S Barber Dime (dug by KFB)
    Quarter ounce of melted silver from a planation site
    Two 1943-P war nickels
    a dateless Mercury Dime
    Minieballs, Beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and some GawGag

    OUR 2020 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ar-review.html
    OUR 2019 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...9-wrap-up.html
    OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940


    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

  14. #14
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    11,346
    75 times

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    yeah, don't give away the ending!! I still wanna see it!!

  15. #15

    Apr 2008
    Melbourne, Florida
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
    122

    Re: A Great Treasure Movie

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy
    Hello All,

    I have heard many talk about the "National Treasure" movies--but I actually thought these were much, Much less than stellar.


    I just watched a fantastic treasure movie called "King of California." Michael Douglas plays a father that has just been released from a mental institution and he returns home to live with his daughter who is 16. Abandoned by her mother, she's been living on her own in their house, and working fast food to make ends meet. He has this idea about a lost Spanish treasure--and he believes that he can find it after studying the diary of an early explorer. She doesn't know if she believes him or not...because he isn't exactly "with it" all the time mentally...and her doubts snowball when he tells her that his research indicates that the treasure is buried under an aisle in a local Costco.

    The movie is about their relationship, but it is an entertaining treasure hunt as well. I did have to suspend my disbelief on occasion--but at least he walks out in a field with a decent detector in the movie (not the $100 Bounty Hunter that Nick Cage jumps out of a $200,000 SnowCat with in "National Treasure"). They do a bit of law-breaking and detecting without permission (even back-hoe using without permission!), but in the context of the movie this seems to work well as a part of the plot.

    I can't say anything about the treasure--whether it is even real or not--because it would spoil the ending.





    Enjoy,


    Buckleboy
    HEY! Don't put down Bounty Hunter. I have one and works incredibly well. So there.....
    May Fortune Find Those That Are Fortunate To Others.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0