Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I have heard many talk about the "National Treasure" movies--but I actually thought these were much, Much less than stellar.

I just watched a fantastic treasure movie called "King of California." Michael Douglas plays a father that has just been released from a mental institution and he returns home to live with his daughter who is 16. Abandoned by her mother, she's been living on her own in their house, and working fast food to make ends meet. He has this idea about a lost Spanish treasure--and he believes that he can find it after studying the diary of an early explorer. She doesn't know if she believes him or not...because he isn't exactly "with it" all the time mentally...and her doubts snowball when he tells her that his research indicates that the treasure is buried under an aisle in a local Costco.

The movie is about their relationship, but it is an entertaining treasure hunt as well. I did have to suspend my disbelief on occasion--but at least he walks out in a field with a decent detector in the movie (not the $100 Bounty Hunter that Nick Cage jumps out of a $200,000 SnowCat with in "National Treasure"). They do a bit of law-breaking and detecting without permission (even back-hoe using without permission!), but in the context of the movie this seems to work well as a part of the plot.

I can't say anything about the treasure--whether it is even real or not--because it would spoil the ending.

King.jpg

Enjoy,

Buckleboy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought it last week :thumbsup:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is a new one, huh?? I think I saw it at the RedBox rental kiosk at McDonalds... I'll have to check it out today (free rental Monday ;D) and see if they have it. If not, I'll go rent it elsewhere. Thanks for the insight to the movie!

Bran <><

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Looks like fun. I'll look for it.

I guess I'm just easy, but I sure like Harrison Ford's treasure hunting movies, myself...

Right at the top of my list is Treasure Island w Charleton Heston.
Oliver Reed... well... ;D

rmptr

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
OK guys, I got one for ya.... This drives me NUTS! I can never remember the title! It was a western.

What was that flick where the guy goes to get the gold at the end and sticks his hand into the rattlesnake's den?

I think the actor was either Steve McQueen or James Coburn... :icon_scratch:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
OK guys, I got one for ya.... This drives me NUTS! I can never remember the title! It was a western.

What was that flick where the guy goes to get the gold at the end and sticks his hand into the rattlesnake's den?

I think the actor was either Steve McQueen or James Coburn... :icon_scratch:
anim_sniper2.gif
thread hijacker

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and bought the movie, since it was $5.50 to rent, and $9.50 to buy.
All in all, it was a "decent" movie... but not one that makes my top treasure hunting movie list!
Ending Omitted. lol! :wink:
However, I did enjoy the research aspect that Michael Douglas did in the movie... kinda proving that he wasn't mentally unstable after all!

Bran <><

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
I went ahead and bought the movie, since it was $5.50 to rent, and $9.50 to buy.
All in all, it was a "decent" movie... but not one that makes my top treasure hunting movie list!
I was disappointed that they didn't even "show" the treasure. To me, that never makes for a good treasure hunting movie. :-\
However, I did enjoy the research aspect that Michael Douglas did in the movie... kinda proving that he wasn't mentally unstable after all!

Bran <><

I have known folks that were mentally unstable--and some of them were quite talented in one specific area--like language, history, etc. So I found it quite believable.

And in terms of the treasure--anything that they could've shown me would've undermined what the treasure was in my mind. It's the thrill of sights less seen. It is Joseph Campbell and the power of Myth. That which is not defined has the power for broader appeal. Things which have definite form and "fact" can only speak to us in one situation. It's the essence of large scale treasure hunting--the reason treasure stories grow bigger over time in subsequent retellings. I thought it was a perfect ending.

(Pssst--don't give away the ending! :wink:)

-Buckleboy

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
BuckleBoy said:
Hello All,

I have heard many talk about the "National Treasure" movies--but I actually thought these were much, Much less than stellar.

I just watched a fantastic treasure movie called "King of California." Michael Douglas plays a father that has just been released from a mental institution and he returns home to live with his daughter who is 16. Abandoned by her mother, she's been living on her own in their house, and working fast food to make ends meet. He has this idea about a lost Spanish treasure--and he believes that he can find it after studying the diary of an early explorer. She doesn't know if she believes him or not...because he isn't exactly "with it" all the time mentally...and her doubts snowball when he tells her that his research indicates that the treasure is buried under an aisle in a local Costco.

The movie is about their relationship, but it is an entertaining treasure hunt as well. I did have to suspend my disbelief on occasion--but at least he walks out in a field with a decent detector in the movie (not the $100 Bounty Hunter that Nick Cage jumps out of a $200,000 SnowCat with in "National Treasure"). They do a bit of law-breaking and detecting without permission (even back-hoe using without permission!), but in the context of the movie this seems to work well as a part of the plot.

I can't say anything about the treasure--whether it is even real or not--because it would spoil the ending.

Enjoy,

Buckleboy

HEY! Don't put down Bounty Hunter. I have one and works incredibly well. So there..... :tongue3:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett2259 said:
BuckleBoy said:
Hello All,

Enjoy,

Buckleboy

HEY! Don't put down Bounty Hunter. I have one and works incredibly well. So there..... :tongue3:

Oh, I'm not knocking it. I just think for the price of the Snow Cat he could've afforded just about any detector. Seemed like an odd choice--like perhaps the props crew the hour before filming the scene realized that they didn't have a detector yet for the shot--so they sent the lackey to WallyWorld to pick one up...

-Buckles

get-r-dug

Jun 17, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
BuckleBoy said:
Hello All,

Enjoy,

Buckleboy

Haven't seen King of California but I do love the National Treasure Movies except for the fact that other than being chased by some kind of killer in each of them.......it all just came to easy....someone in the group just seemed to know all the answers or EXACTLY where to find them... if only life was such. :wink:

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I'm going with "Goonies" for a great treasure movie, goofy but fun.

Another good one was a Wonderful world of Disney movie, on TV in the 60's.............."The Secret of the Pirates Inn". I saw it when I was a kid and it really stirred the treasure hunter in me.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Get r'

Sometimes we pick apart the plots, and obvious flaws, but sometimes it's good to let 'em have a certain number of concessions for a good story... don't you think?

Me in wv... Yah, I remember the Goonies! That was a good one! It was a great production.

and like Get r' dug, above, .... a pirate ship inside a mountain???? but it sure made a good shot, there in the lagoon inside a mtn, didn't it?

Treasure Island with Christian Bales and Charleton Heston remains my favorite, though.

LoL
and I just thought of Kelly's Heroes...
and Three Kings...

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread