Another new person in FL

tropi

Apr 9, 2009
SE Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador uMax
Hi, I'm new here. Getting started with some serious treasure hunting. I've been working on boats all my life and was a diving guide in the Caribbean for a long time when I was younger. Have done part time treasure hunting along the way and have found some very intersesting things, including some wreckage of a ship from the early 1500's in the Dominican Republic.
I'm going looking for treasure in some somewhat remote areas now.
By the way, what detector would be good for underwater and serching on uninhabited islands on land as well?

BarbCatCay.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net, Tropi. I always envied you folks that were into diving. That's a whole world of opportunities I'll never know, except from posts from people like you. Best of luck!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, welcome Tropi!
Good to see another Floridian on T-Net. :)
Good luck on your explorations... and I hope to see the pic's!

Bran <><

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good day, Tropi!
The only thing missing from that pic is the hammock! Beautiful pic and gal! Welcome aboard! TTC

OP
OP
tropi

tropi

Apr 9, 2009
SE Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador uMax
Thanks Rockhound, RGINN, godisnum1 and TerryC!

I've been reading this site for some time and it seems great! Lot's of info and really nice people who love this hobby/sport! I'm into it too! I'm sure I'll enjoy it here!

I'm trying to decide on a detector and not crazy about having to buy two. I was just wondering if there is a good underwater detector that can
also work good on dry land. I've been looking at the Tesoro sand shark and the tigre shark. But they both seem to be good in the water and not great on dry land.

Unless someone knows of one that's good for both I guess I'm gonna have to break down and get two.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough conundrum!
If the purse says one, I'd go with the land model. Two, of course, is the answer. You will get LOTS of help here making your decision. It is my belief that there is no DO ALL detector. I will save you from my idea of the best because I don't OWN the best, just a half dozen or more I've acquired over the years! Good luck, to you and GO FOR IT! TTC

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome t-net and mugs! I can not help with any ideas aon water model but as for land I love my tesoro cibola and my husband uses the tesoro's Delion and Tejoin! They are light weight and easy to learn to use the tones are good and his Delion has a meter! Cant wait to see more pics!

Attachments

• welcomgroupice.gif
    welcomgroupice.gif
    84.1 KB · Views: 645
OP
OP
tropi

tropi

Apr 9, 2009
SE Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador uMax
Thanks everybody!

I've been reading the owners reviews on all the MD's. WOW! There are so many and each have good points. So many that do this better or that.
I'm getting pretty confused now as to what I should get.

The local dealer here seems to really like the Tesors's and it seems the people here do too for the most part. I love the lifetime warranty they have.
I also like the Garrett Infinium that Rockhound mentioned. The fisher underwater units seem very good too.

I think I'll end up with the Tesoro Sand Shark that I was thinking of at first and get used to it on the beaches and in the water here in Florida first. Then I might get a Cibola for when I visit my island spots and need to do some dry land hunting. Seems like a great unit for the money.
I'm really looking forward to hunting for some gold doubloons!! :icon_pirat:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you buy, Tropi, give the machine time to prove itself. A Garrett manual will say 100 hours to learn the machine. Like any other endeavor, you will only get out what you put in. TTC

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wave: Tropi...another pretty lady joins us at TNet. Great to have you with us, looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing of your ventures.

:wink: RR

welcome_signs_6 (2).gif

Attachments

• welcome_signs_6 (2).gif
    welcome_signs_6 (2).gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 495

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to TNet! Nice to have you here. :icon_sunny:

Florida hunters like to hunt right after storms...if possible. They claim that sometimes you can kick up treasure with your toes. Then once the weather brings back the sands again...the same treasures could be covered by several feet of sand.

I just made me a nice sifter for dry sand using a Garret classifier gold pan. Cutting a piece of galvanized rabbit cage mesh into a round shape and cutting non-corroding thin wire pieces to twist, attach the mesh across the inside bottom of the classifier pan. Sometimes sifting a trashy spot brings up gold too.

Pulse induction type detectors have a reputation for great depth on salt water beaches. Other detectors are great for land, but don't always perform quite so well, around wet salt areas.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure-Net Tropi.

Fossis...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread