From West by God Virginia

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3 Whites XLT & Garrett Ace250 W/ 2 ProPointers
Hi,

I’m Chris and my wife is Diane. We live in the northern part of WV, about half hour from Parkersburg and about 45 minute from Marietta OH.
For my wives’ birthday in September I bought her an Ace250 (with extra coil). In the following months we have found all sorts of nifty stuff including about 10 silver dimes (mercs/rose) a buffalo nickel, a silver half (60's) and my wives incredible V-nickels... which I will never let her live down. She found one in the ground one day and the next day, I’m not kidding, we were out for a walk exploring new places and picked it up right off the ground in the middle of the woods. I couldn’t believe it.
I made my wife some plastic boxes for all the wheat pennies with the ultimate goal of wheats for every year which we almost have, I’d say 90% or so.
As for me, when I got to play with it I seemed to have less luck. My best find is an 1867 Indian Head penny and, for some reason, axe heads. Not 1 or 2 but I have collect of old axe heads that numbers 11 and counting. The coolest one a friend called a cemetery axe, big offset head for squaring off the corners of graves.
Now recently I acquired a new toy. I picked up a V3. Wow, what a machine. It’s part necessity though. Where we live is in an old oil corridor. In fact, some of the first oil wells in the world are just minutes from my house. This made lots of millionaires, lot’s of great stories and lots of drunk well workers running around towns with more money than brains (which still holds true to some degree). We live 5 minutes from what was once Volcano WV, a serious boom town that burnt to the ground at the height of its glory. Also 10 minutes from Petroleum WV which for many years was the largest oil producer in the country. We are talking PRE-civil war oil areas.
The V3 is to get beyond all the iron in the ground and start dragging out the good stuff. The Ace has the limitation of being overwhelmed by iron or lots of debris. We’re hoping the V3, with some practice, will help this problem.

I will make an open invitation to anyone who wants to hunt some historic areas to drop me a line and maybe we can get together. Especially anyone with a V3. I kind of consider myself a map-guru so I have tons of spots to go to including where towns of Volcano and California once stood. If anyone is interested I can post pics and stories of the area.

Thanks for reading
Chris and Diane

Attachments

• diane.jpg
    diane.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 1,448

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet
Sounds Like you are Both doing very Well !

Will Watch for your Finds Posts.

Jeff

OP
OP
chrisanddiane

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3 Whites XLT & Garrett Ace250 W/ 2 ProPointers
I should add my wife is a total freeze-baby but I couldn't care less about the cold. As long as i can get the detector reasonably close to the ground I wil be out and about all winter long. I'll be one of the few crazy northerners with a madock out all winter long.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, good luck in your hunting.

Fossis.............

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and yeah I would like to here about some of those towns. I spend the winter readin about treasure so if you can write em up there's lots of us on here that would enjoy readin about them.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

You are lucky to have a wife like that! :icon_thumleft:

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
West by God here too. I live in Jefferson co. though.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I'm originally from Farmington, a little coal town just north of Fairmont. Welcome to TNet!!! Hope to see a lot of finds from you all.

DM

StuV

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Flatonia, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,

I see these are old post. If you are still active I would like to connect, I'm from Petroluem WVa, although I now live in Texas. I'm interested in Both Petroluem and Valcano as my grandfather has told me many stories about them.

StuV

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread