Introducing myself

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
My name is Ron Brown, and I'm from Dahlonega, GA, the site of the first U.S. Gold Rush. I'm not shy about sharing my personal information as you can probably tell already. By day I'm a sign maker, and by night I run internet servers and maintain about 300 web sites for other people as well as run 4 of my own discussion forums on various topics from airbrushing to linux maintenance.

Due to my heavy involvement in internet discussion forums, I've met many people from all over the world, and this has enriched my experience on this earth. I have an open invitation to any of my friends that I meed from the online world to come by for a meal of my wife's world famous fried chicken... and by world famous, I mean that. We've had visitors drop in from as far as Australia to eat her chicken.

I've lived in Dahlonega, GA for 10 years now, and never much considered gold prospecting, although I knew that was a lot of gold here. You can't kick over a rock on my property without seeing the sparkles of the flakes in the granite and quartz. I had a friend from one of the forums I run come down here a few months back and just insist that I take him to Crissom Gold Mine, said he wanted to go panning for gold. It's the only active gold mine still here in the Dahlonega area. When we got there he spotted the sluices that they have set up for the tourists, and decided to buy a bobcat bucket full of crushed rock and wash some sand. Wasn't five minutes into it and out popped a gold nugget that weighed out at 5 grams, and I've been hooked ever since. By the time we got done with the sluice and panning the concentrate that day, we walked out with almost a full ounce of gold, all for a $60 investment in a bucket of sand.

I've got four acres of land here, and an old dried up creek bed runs right through the middle of it. Since I sit on a vein of gold I figured the dried up stream bed might be a good place to start prospecting. I purchased a White's GMT detector, and have been trying to get it tuned in so that it will ignore the smaller deposits of gold in the rocks and help me locate the nuggets that I know are there. I've only had a few days to play with it though. Christmas rolled around and I ended up on the road for a few days visiting the kids and the grandkids, and it's been too cold to get out and prospect since I got home. Looking forward to warmer weather coming around so I can play with my new found hobby.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure-net & Mug shots bigwater, sounds like you are a 'busy boy'. :laughing7:
Looking forward to seeing some of your Gold finds.

Fossis...........

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
So glad you are here and do hope you find LOTS of gold!!

Attachments

• welcome03.gif
    welcome03.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 563
  • welcome03.gif
    welcome03.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 510

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, Hoss! I admire anyone who can fry chicken properly.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Welcome to a great site, looking forward to additional posts from you on what is discovered in your back yard!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just lower the sensitivity on your gold detector. On a scale of 1-10, it would be about 7-7 1/2. Ground balance slightly positive then, adjust the threshold sound to a very faint hum. Welcome to T-Net! :coffee2:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I can't wait to see some chunks, that's an awesome place to have for a backyard

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
I can't wait to see some chunks, that's an awesome place to have for a backyard

I've seen photos of nuggets from that area...the largest a 17 1/2 lb. quartz nugget, it was found with one of the older Garrett detectors during the 1990s in the Dahlonega mining district. Of course, any size chunk would be good to see! :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
now don't getting me excited like that, I want to see the stuff so I can drool properly. LOL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome sir
There are several other members from your area that hunt gold and Cw relics. All very nice people. Good luck with your creek. Your area has produced for many years. Talked to a guy last night that hunts acroos the line here in Tennessee and does very well.
Look forward to seeing your finds.
TnMountains

OP
OP
bigwater

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Thank you all for the kind welcome. Yes, this area is a hotbed for gold activity if you're interested in searching for it. Laws have made it a little harder to search these days, and most all of the surface nuggets just laying around have been long taken by now, so you have to actively prospect on your own property if you want to find any. I'm certainly not interested in setting up a rock stamp and a sluice, but thought I could bide some spare time detecting. Unfortunately, I've got a lot of spare time right now as business is slow, but it's so stinking cold I can't get out there and do anything. Ground's frozen solid. Hard rains for a month leading up to Christmas, and it's been below freezing ever since. I don't think I could get a spade in the ground if I had to. If one of my dogs dies he's just gonna have to stay out there until the ground softens up enough to dig a hole. He certainly isn't going to rot when it's 8º outside.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place I've been able to dig for a while is in snow drifts...not much fun, I agree with you about this cold!

Maybe you'll find some nuggets in your dry creek later, that could be fun. Have any shallow bedrock?

billohio6248

Apr 20, 2008
Cumming Georgia
Hi Ron

My name is Bill Melville and I live in Cumming, GA. Moved here 2 years ago from Ohio. I use a Bounty Hunter Land Star. I am looking to upgrade some time soon. Some of the guys on the Bounty Hunter forum suggested I use the 4" coil to knock out the trash. They say this coil is good for gold. I will try it out when it warms up.

Hunting the Lanier area was not good for me as a ranger kicked me out once.

I was reading about the Weekend Gold Miners Club and that sounded interesting but I am a dector machine guy, not a sluice guy with all the mechanical and generator stuff involved. My email is [email protected] if you want to meet up some time.

Good luck with the area you own. I never thought of it when I bought my home here, but I work in Sandy Springs so that would have been a tough drive every day

OP
OP
bigwater

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Hi Bill. Yeah, Sandy Springs would be a hike from here every day, but I know a lot of people that commute that far. A lot people from the Atlanta area are moving up this direction to get away from the bustle of city life. I even know one guy that drives from his home in north Lumpkin County to the Bellsouth tower in downtown Atlanta five days a week to go to work. Spends about 4 hours a day commuting for an 8 hour work day. I couldn't do it, but some people do.

I moved up here from Marietta, GA ten years ago to get away from the people crunch down there, but sold my business first and started a new one when I got up here. The front door of my shop is 212 feet from the front door of my house... not a brutal commute by any means.

I recently saw an ad in our local paper about the weekend prospecting club and thought about attending their next meeting just to see what it was all about. I'll let you know what I find out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread