long over due intro

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
I guess it's about time I introduce myself.. I have been a member for a little while now,watching,listening and learning before I even added my 2 cents to this awesome board! I have always been intrested in metal detecting for as long as I could remember. When I was a kid I remember my one male friend having one and I use to tag along with him as he "swung" all over the town.. lol.. Thru out the years I have always voiced by desire to have a metal detector,but working like I did in my 20's at the end of the evening I was exhausted ..(i know,no excuse)! In 2005 2 of my brothers passed away a month apart... I was devistated! My mom was all i had left of my imidiate family.. she was sickly herself so My hubby and I asked her to move in ..she did..she was in and out of the hospital at least 2 times a month for approx 7 months.. each time ended up on a breathing machine.. they finally found a blood clot in a spot behind her lungs.. she slowly got better,but by then I had taken a family leave from work,becoming depressed and still grieving,was a welcome oppurtunity!..needles to say a year later I haven't went back..(i know,no excuse)! My father- in- law metal detected and collected old coins and had quit a nice collection.. anything I ever found I gave to him.. Unfortunatly he passed away in February :'( He was a great man.. I know this is long and drawn out ,lol,but I just wanted to let everyone know my "story" ,how my long imagined hobby came about finally at 34..shortly after he passed my dear Mother in law came to us with the collection and metal detecter claiming that my father in law wanted me to have it.. i was in awe,and thankfully excepted..It wasn't like I couldn't afford one it's just that I kept putting it off.. lol...to finally end my story, I blew polished up the detecter at the beginning of summer and have been going ever since.. One thing I came to self proclaim though, I need a new one ,a better one,and I can retire my FI on the wall,(im terribly sentimental,lol) It's a pioneer 202 and to me it's alot of work to get it going and complicated..lol gotta memorize different tones,ect... I 've come to a the conclusion that a minelab or a whites is something i'm intrested in..I love looking at everyone's finds!!! No matter what they are..I love the "shark pit" finds ,Redd's silver Egypt bug coin holder thingy..and so many more.. Awesome finds by everyone! I just want to let everyone know I appreciate the silent learning I have done over the past year ,I hope someday soon I to will have a story and a find worth posting.. lol I found quite a few wheat pennies ,one was a 1909,(father in law had ton's)and a mercury dime,oh and 2 quarters,not old though.. Nothing like pulling a large coin out and the date reading 1989.. lmao.. know what's worse when you have no idea what your doing regarding the detecter and its tones,and you dig 10 inches only to discover a bottle cap,a pull tab or foil.. :o I'm glad I found this site and hope to be able to post something worth while soon.. Until then here is my pic..LOL

Attachments

• barbie.jpg
    barbie.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,589
  • me2.jpg
    me2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,577

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet cuddles17981

Really Strange. "17981" is My Zip Code
Coincidence ? Or a Possable Treasure Hunting Partner ? ;)

Jeff

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Thanks for sharing your intro and photos and welcome to TNet officially. Best of luck to you out there. Looking forward to seeing some great finds from you soon.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
jeff of pa said:
Welcome to TreasureNet cuddles17981

Really Strange. "17981" is My Zip Code
Coincidence ? Or a Possable Treasure Hunting Partner ? ;)

Jeff

Yeah,right down da mountain butt..lol (coal region talk,for those that aren't familiar,lol) I actually found this site last year by googling "metal detecting in schuylkill county" and have been around ever since..lol I was thinking about detecting the railroad bed area in tremont, who do you go to to permission for that? I guess I will be digging up alot of ties ,huh? or do you think it's worth doing? I wish they didn't Tar old Carnival grounds in Tremont.. what a shame..lol I remeber my friend detecting the grounds when the carnies left.. He pulled alot of coins from there.. That was a pretty antique detecter itself.. ;D could you imagine what today's detecters could find.. hmmmm..lol I detected my in laws yard in Tremont , at the turn of the century there was a barn there.. who would of thunk it..lol detecter is always going off , (I can't quit disc. the metals yet with the pioneer 202) so I'm digging and digging,found alot of wheat pennies there and a merc dime.. :D whooo hooo big deal,compared to the treasures all you guys found..lmao.. The ground in his yard is tough, there is a coal vain running thru there apparently.. Lots of coal lumps I have dug up.. My yard ,very soft soil,weird almost.. maybe its because of the nitro in my yard from the 2 dogs we have..by the way the Grubs and Worms are guisness book huge and fat .. (I fish too) phewt.... dug up 2 dimes last night ,apparently the hubby has holes in his pocket when he runs the lawn mower.. 1999 and 2000 they were.. ::) alot of pieces of plates or something here & there I found.. going back out there soon,as soon as I shut up here..lol the Hubby took me back middle creek back one of those paths you need a 4x4 for.. its a nice clearing.. Dirt is tough,prolly should of proud a drill or something.. lol detecter going off ,im digging up wires and such .. I guess because people though it was disgustingly helpful to dump garbage back there and as a result most roads are now blocked off. I'm sure you know where I mean Jeff,my Dad use to take me for walks back there all the time when I was little.. (you can enter from Donaldson , or out pass the new ball field and the gun club.). As you can see folks I tend to go into to much detail..lol ..Thanks for the welcome everyone!!!I'm outta here..lol I hope I have something really cool to finally post(a pic)..Happy Hunting.! 8)

Attachments

• money8.gif
    money8.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,569

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:D Cuddles: Welcome to TN! We are waiting for all your Finds!!! Sorry about all your tragedies! MD'ing will take your mind off it!

Stay in touch!

Joe 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH yea, I did tremont area Many times.
in fact, Earlier this year I was doing the Ball Field / Pool area.
which was also part of the Carnival Grounds & from what I was told,
was also a Big League Ball field.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,35563.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,35198.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,33947.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,35742.0.html

I would Bet the Lawn to the old School right off the Carnival Grounds site would Be Loaded with Coins & Carnival Prizes.
I had no Problem Obtaining Permission for he Pool, But havn't checked into the School area Yet.

When I asked at the JP's about searching around that school, they wanted me to Come to a Borough Meeting & Ask. I Wimped out on that.

You mentioned the RR Bed in town. I imagine you still have a cop in town, It's rare I ever see one, I would ask him If he Thinks anyone would Mind. The RR is owned By the RR and they won't give permission because of Liability, no matter what you try, But I'm sure Trespassing Is never charged, unless of course you get hurt & try to sue them.

Middle Creek : there was the Ghost town of Middle Creek from the 1800's back there. Done a Little Detecting back there Years ago.
The Land is owned by a Conglamorite in Wilkes Barre. They do give Permits, free for recreational purposes, but the only place I know to get them is up where the Plane Crashed in Wilburton, around Hunting Season.

A good Site for Tax Records in Our County

http://www.co.schuylkill.pa.us/parcelviewer/

once you master this site, you can find Age of property, Property Owner
and boundry lines for every property in Schuylkill County.

I'v Got several Local Histories.

Tremont Bicentennial 1776 - 1976
History of Frailey TWP.
Tower City / Porter Twp 1868 - 1968
History of Pine Grove.
an 1875 Beers atlas, which shows where all the houses, schols etc. were & who owned them in 1875

Etc.

so if you ever need research material when it gets too cold
to be out. let me know.

Also feel free to ask Anything on Local History. IF I don't know it,
your Question will get me to reseearch it.

we have a General Discussion - By Location
site, which can be used.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,179.0.html

Happy Hunting !
Jeff

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Wow Thanks alot for the info Jeff!
Earlier this year I was doing the Ball Field / Pool area.
which was also part of the Carnival Grounds & from what I was told,
was also a Big League Ball field.
That is true, but I was talking about the grounds directly behind the ambulance building (I grew up right across the street....)Back in the mid 90's they laid a huge driveway ,extending to the alley in front of the school and old play ground..That is where the carnival grounds actually where and extended (back in the early days) into the old ball field sometimes(a haunted house ,a huge slide,animals.....) Your right about the cops ,you hardly see the 2.. and I'm certain it would be a bother to check me out along the tracks ,they don't even bother the ATV riders.. I'll tell ya ,I have alot to learn,where to look,whom to ask.. I guess I will educate myself on all of this to help make it easier for everyone else who detects before I go digging.. I have read some stories on here how we aren't always easily welcomed..
I did see all the stuff you found at the pool ..awesome.. I had a season pass there when I was a kid.. my mom helped run it.. she collected the money at the gate..all us kids running with change and losing half of it.. we use to also throw coins in the pool to find them.. stored things under the corner of our towels only to forget at the end of day,and "snap" the towel free of dirt,bye bye rings ,earrings,change..ect..lol Im sure alot of older stuff would be found under the shade trees.. where the older people watched on.. :D what do I know.. lol Thanks again..!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to the forum Cuddles! Its nice to meet you. Looking forward to your finds and stories. You know every pulltab we pull from the ground ,still gets us excited thinking its the "big one"! Hahaha.Some people have fantastic finds on this forum....others love to dig for hours for rusty iron(me :)) , but its all treasure to us!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea on the Black topped Section. I searched that in the 70's got a few nice finds there. there is still some ground (Grown up I think)
where the Food Stands & Bingo Stands were.

IF my memory is right, they used to set up the Circus tents in the Ball Field.

And I know during Carnivals, We used to go into the Ball field at Night to Get away from the Crowds, thiis is why consider it Part of the Carnival Grounds.

The silver I found at the pool was under those shade trees.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
welcome to the forum cuddles. and we love to look at wheats and mercs just as much as indians and barber dimes! ;)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Cuddles,

Welcome...it's great to have you here. Looking forward to your posts/finds.

;) RR

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
8) Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.. I know I'm gonna fit right in here.. :P

Attachments

• Rovolving$.gif
    Rovolving$.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,479

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
welcome to tn,alot of good folks here,everyone digs alot of trash....before the good stuff. looking forward to your posts........keep diggin :)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Cuddles, Sorry about all you have been through..... But somewhere there is a plan out there for you. I am sure we will be seeing some great finds from you soon.... I thought the same way as you do now, and with the help and motivation of all the guys and gals here I am now finding some great stuff.... It is just practice and more practice. Dont give up on the hobby that you have longed to do all these years..... you will be very happy soon :-X

God bless
Peter

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard Cuddles. That's a great avatar you've got.

I'm looking forward to seeing some great finds. Get out there before Jeff hits it!! ;D

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
You guys are great..Thanks for making me feel welcome! Been doing lots of detecting.. mostly in the family yards(hey,ya gotta start somewhere right..lol) Im saving up for a good whites metal detector.. I have found a few quarters ,lots of pennies(one was a 1909) a mercury dime,and a wheat that almost bent in half.. how does that happen by the way? wierd..lol thanks again guys.. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread