Newbie !!

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi all, I found this forum earlier this week and decided to jump right in. As a child I used to go MDing with my Dad (I am such a Daddy's girl - even now!) - between fishing and MDing with him those were some of my best childhood memories. So anyway, I was talking to my Dad the other day and he showed me in a catlog the new detector he wants to get, which got me thinking and wondering why on earth I didn't continue to MD after childhood. I decided we (my husband, 7 year old son and myself) are getting new detectors for Christmas! I just ordered Ace 250s for hubby and me, and a Jr Bounty Hunter for my son.

My other hobbies include fishing (freshwater or salt), writing fiction and we raise American Miniature Horses (AMHA/AMHR) and this is my website in case you want to take a look! www.dakotahmoonranch.com

I've been reading all your stories and checking out the finds and needless to say I have the bug again!! I look forward to making friends on here and one day soon sharing my finds with you all !! (or as we say here on the panhandle of FL -ya'll !) If anyone is ever in the Pensacola/Ft Walton Beach/Destin area, look me up and let's get together and go hunting!!

So anyway...here I am...

Kimber5.jpg

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie, I also started detecting at a young age. I got away from it for a while trying to keep up with the Jone's. One day I made myself a promise to go back doing the thinks that made me the happiest...detecting was one of them. Now my 11 year old son and I have forged a bond through detecting that he will probably pass on to his children. Welcome aboard and I look forward to your post....Steve

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Good luck with the 250's, I see some guys posting finds from inland sites not so far from there,I think a lot of rail traffic used to come through that area,probably still does. I can help but thinking all the piles of treasure you would have stored up if you had kept on swinging since you were a kid. Never too late to start back up though and I hear nothing but good things about the Ace,the kid will be hooked in no time as well. We will be expecting pictures of your finds as well as pictures of some of the horses,are they Shetland ponies? or smaller than that?...Shoot

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pensacola area is a great place to detect, you'll find a ton of treasure and junque. Good luck to you.

rednek

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Kimber! Good to see you. :)

Welcome to TNet. It's a great forum where you'll find a lotta advice, information, and friendships.

Let us know what your Hubby and your son think of their Christmas presents. :)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Kimber,

Great to see ya and welcome aboard. I'm sure you and the family will enjoy this wonderful hobby for years to come. My other hobby is riding my trike and salt water fishing.

Loved your website, beautiful mini's, there is a miniature horse farm not too far from me.

Also my bestest friend lives just below I-12 from Crestview.

Looking forward to reading your posts of finds and seeing the pics.

;) RR

OP
OP
Kimber23539

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi All !

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I too wonder how much treasure I would have amassed by now had I not set the hobby aside.

stevesno - funny you mentioned 'keeping up with the Jones' ' I was a Jones before I got married - I think keeping up with 'us' is overrated ;D

Lucky TumTums - We do have one railway system left (it goes east to west - the north to south one is long gone). But also along the hwy on the west side of town is the Old Spanish Trail. There are still old bricks in some places and at some point it was paved (though lightly) in others. My husband and I were just talking about it yesterday wondering if the county (or anyone else - as it is on the easement that the county claims so it's technically not on anyone person's property) would have a stroke if we metal detected along that area. (I didn't tell him he was getting a detector for Christmas - the idea of detecting along the trail had crossed my mind as I was coming home from Pensacola the other day - he suddenly brought it up yesterday (weird huh? We don't always think alike that's for sure!)

We've been talking about detecting more since my Dad found out last week that he will most likely be wheelchair ridden (he has advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis) - we've been wondering if there was a way for him to still be able to go out detecting. The other day when he was showing me the detector he wanted, it was to be a reward to himself for having yet another surgery (he's had over a dozen in the last 30 years) to defy the devastation that disease has had on his body. Then two days later the doctor gave him a 20% chance of being able to walk again. :( Does anyone know of anyone who detects from a wheel chair? I mean I know he'd have to have a digger (me or my Mom) but I wonder how much interference there'd be from the wheelchair? (thanks in advance)

Oh and as for the horses - though they did descend from Shetlands ions ago...they are smaller now. There are two registries for Miniature horses - both are height registries. One will not allow them to be over 34" at the wither, the other will not allow them to be over 38" at the wither. I have mostly the smaller ones - my tallest is 33.5". We have a couple that are trained to drive (pull a cart) we just don't make the time usually to enjoy it (and it is a ton of fun!)

Thanks again for the welcomes, I look forward to lots of sharing in the future!!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Welcome to Tnet....I know I am looking forward to seeing you post some GREAT FINDS.
Happy Hunting!
~Nash~

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Welcome! I bet you can't wait for Christmas now! Will be some nice family outings going on there! I am going to check out your site but how many of the tiny horses do you have?

Again welcome,
another Kimber

OP
OP
Kimber23539

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the welcome Nash! I'm looking forward to sharing some finds soon!

Country Girl, thanks and you're right, I wish Christmas would come on, I'm itching to get my hands on MY detector as much as I'm ready for hubby (and son Dakota) to get theirs!

We are up to 21 miniature horses right now. We also have two big horses (for riding which we seldom have time to do) - one is a Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse cross and the other is a gaited/quarter horse cross. We are expecting just two miniature foals this next spring (I was lazy earlier this year during breeding season - just couldn't get motivated to pair the girls up [I have no doubts the boys were up to it though ;D]). ::) so I probably should sell a couple to make some room - it's just so hard to let them go!!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome ...Nothing beats a good day out swinging for the hunt..
Always nice to have a Beautiful Lady around too!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Sounds like you have a full,enjoyable life.Hope the DR's wrong and your dad gets to md as well.I've spent a lot of time in and around P'cola,Milton and Ft Walton,including,Niceville,Crestview.Tons of 'lover's lane' beaches to md.Get after 'em and give us some posts.Of course,those beaches were in the 50's but must be some areas left,ask the teenagers! Goodluck to you and yours'.

OP
OP
Kimber23539

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks Warsawdaddy! I've been brainstorming with my Dad trying to think of places to check out (to see if they're still accessible). I'm also checking with the county to see if there are parks where I can MD without being hassled (or worse, arrested). I'm still not so sure I'm clear on the beaches and where it's legal to MD and where it's not....I would think 'between the dunes and the water's edge" would be ok but I could be wrong. ;D

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Welcome to the board, Kimber! Glad you are getting the young 'un started early. They grow up so fast, and then, before you know it, being with the folks is passe', so enjoy it now. Unless the young 'un decides that Md'ing is better than getting an allowance, then you have a great thing going! Keep us posted on your finds. Wonder if you could train the little horses to carry a 2 box detector? Get the whole "family" involved! Now, that would be a sight!

Tourezrick

OP
OP
Kimber23539

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tourezrick, That plan looks good on paper, but I know a couple of the little horses that might have a different opinion ;D. They're great little horses, but each and every one have a different personality. For example I have a few that seem to have ADHD, some are Prima Donnas (I have a filly I named Diva and let me tell you...she practices daily at it), others are so sweet and puppy dogish...hey, maybe they would want to come along as pack animals? It's a thought!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi kimber,I seem to remember reading a story once of someone that devised a devise to attach to a weelchair for mounting a detector.I'm sure someone on here could think of something,I'm new here also but from what i've seen there's alot of talent here i'd bet we got more than one engineer on here !(my engineering usually involves duct tape and coathangers :D) good luck ! HH !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread