Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather be detecting...

me.jpg

than taking selfies....damn polar vortex!!! Sunday better be 48 degrees...detecting isn't as much fun when everything is frozen solid

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed! I'm hoping to get out a little this weekend if it doesn't rain.Welcome to TN.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pic.Yeah I agree,It is in the way.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spark - Just be thankful you don't live here in Minnesota, we've got about 2 -3 feet of snow piled up and it's been below zero for too long!!!! Yet, I still have to go look for a lost wedding ring in a snowbank!!! Wish me luck!
Nice PIC by the way!

cartoon eyes popping guy.png

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Can't say I envy anyone living in Minnesota right now lol...you guys really metal detect in the snow??

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Whites, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck! Can't say I envy anyone living in Minnesota right now lol...you guys really metal detect in the snow??
I would love pointers on detectiing in the snow so I don't ruin my detector! I have THE WORST cabin fever right now

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Florida! It was A balmy 55 with rain here today. supposed to be near 80 tomorrow with sunshine.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I detect in the snow is when I get a call for help - I am part of a website called the ring finders, people lose their rings quite a bit while having snowball fights, shoveling, cleaning their car off etc. So, it's more of a pin-pointed area I search. Otherwise, no detecing while the ground is frozen and covered in snow :(

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah a fellow AT Pro user! Finding anything good up there in Mass?

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...a mercy dime is probably my best find, along with about 12 Wheaties and two silvers....but don't judge too harsh, I just started detecting last June!! gonna try to go out today...heat wave in the 40s lol!!!

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20140201_103632.png

Wish I thought more about getting a third piercing...no headphone action for a while...i hate not using them, I feel like I annoy people with the constant beeping

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well as far as selfie's go your's is a nice one! I wish my wife felt like you ladies here and enjoyed detecting! I started detecting about the same time as you Sparkgirl, I love mercury dimes and had it in my mind that until I found one I would not be a "real" detectorist! After 8 months of searching hard I found my first silver coin a week ago, it was a 42 Washington quarter, but 2 days later I found my 1st Mercury dime, 1928 and my oldest coin found with my detector!

I was elated! I felt like yelling YES! THEY REALLY DO EXIST IN THE WILD!! hahaha. Then within 5 hunts I found 6 silvers! Silver coins are a mystery to me, how can I hunt so many hours over 8 months finding nothing but clad, and 1 gold ring, without any silver coins, then suddenly in a matter of just a few days find 6 silvers! Weird how things work in this hobby!!!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya McClod - I wish so much that my wife would get into detecting, women are a rarity in this hobby. I envy guys like Coily's husband!!!! My wife supports me, though I wish she would have that same fire as I do, to go out traveling and hunting all over the world!!!!!!

Good Luck to all of you!

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know not alot of women metal detect...at least it seems that way...don't understand it, it's so fun and fascinating!

I felt the same way that until I found something specific I wouldn't be a "real detectorist" lol...except my target was a gold ring...which I still haven't found.btw :( however finding that mercury was amazing...I remember I had to sit down lol...I couldn't believe it! Haha

totally unrelated question...last night I was counting my clad from last years hunts and noticed a lot of it was very crusted...some pennies had holes in them, some were bent, etc....but you could still tell they were Pennies...I want to cash them in at the bank...is there a certain condition they have to be in? Can they refuse to accept the bad ones? I'm gonna buy a rock tumbler and clean them up more, but that certainly won't fix the one with the hole in the middle lol

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tumble my clad, then I pick out the bent and destroyed ones. I keep them for show. Check out the smiley face one!!

001 (2).jpg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know not alot of women metal detect...at least it seems that way...don't understand it, it's so fun and fascinating!

I felt the same way that until I found something specific I wouldn't be a "real detectorist" lol...except my target was a gold ring...which I still haven't found.btw :( however finding that mercury was amazing...I remember I had to sit down lol...I couldn't believe it! Haha

totally unrelated question...last night I was counting my clad from last years hunts and noticed a lot of it was very crusted...some pennies had holes in them, some were bent, etc....but you could still tell they were Pennies...I want to cash them in at the bank...is there a certain condition they have to be in? Can they refuse to accept the bad ones? I'm gonna buy a rock tumbler and clean them up more, but that certainly won't fix the one with the hole in the middle lol
Sparkgirl , most of my friends don't get me and my love for metal detecting but they usually do seem to perk up if I find something interesting and listen to me tell tell the story just as I listen to them go on about finding the perfect pair of Manolo Blahnik's on ebay,it's all in the hunt,lol. A Mercury dime is on my wish list to find,I think they are the prettiest coins that were minted. I can't tell you how to clean up those old crusty coins but you can do a search or I'll bet someone else will chime in soon. Yes Ringfinder I am very lucky but it was actually my mister that got me interested in detecting.

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to jump into this thread. My husband supports me but with his work schedule and mine not on the same page, when he goes he is not into it. So when I go out alone I do have to be really careful about where I go from a safety perspective, which seriously cuts into the places I really want to go. To have found my one and only merc in my backyard was flippen hilarious!

Good luck all!!!!

Last edited:

AGirlGetsDirty

Aug 12, 2013
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only time I detect in the snow is when I get a call for help - I am part of a website called the ring finders, people lose their rings quite a bit while having snowball fights, shoveling, cleaning their car off etc. So, it's more of a pin-pointed area I search. Otherwise, no detecing while the ground is frozen and covered in snow :(

You provide a great service!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread