Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to VA to look for Sharks teeth. I did find a bunch, but they're still in the truck.

Anyway, 2 miles from home I notice a commotion on the side of the road, about 200 yards out in a field. A medium sized buck is fighting with either an antlerless deer or a button buck. They are head to head and going at it.

Standing about 20' away is one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen! This puppy went probably 250 pounds and it looked like he had a tree on his head! Couldn't get a picture, but it's that time of year. There were a couple normal sized horses in the next pasture and he compared favorably to them.

Drivers, beware!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Was walking down a railroad right of way one afternoon a couple of years ago and noticed that someone's horse had gotten out of their pasture a couple hundred yards up the line. Damn thing kinda loped in my direction till it was close enough to see it was a monster white tail. Couldn't get an accurate count on him, but from what I could see it was 10 plus, easy 200 lbs. Never spotted him again in spite of multiple trips out there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I jumped one in the woods here years ago. When he ran it sounded like a Volkswagon loose out there!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This time of year the Elk are in rut, and very protective of
the harem they've built up. If I stand on my porch in the
early morning hours (4-6) I'll hear an occasional challenging
bugle from nearby, often just across the river.

Another bull comes along, and it's "game on"..and a couple
of 600 lb. bulls crashing massive antlers together can create
quite a racket.

The herds tend to gather in some local fields, and often they'll
be a line of cars parked on the side of the back roads, waiting for
the battles to begin.

Never seen deer fight (in person), but can imagine they
can really get after each other.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy they all seem to get along out here.

Attachments

• IMG_20191007_071153.jpg
    IMG_20191007_071153.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20191007_071028.jpg
    IMG_20191007_071028.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20191007_070949.jpg
    IMG_20191007_070949.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 103
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went to my Virginia fossil adventure early Saturday, before dawn, I headed in the darkness towards the truck and when the outside lights kicked on automatically I heard a big buck snorting at me. I moved very fast to the car!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here in the Norther suburbs of Atlanta deer area everywhere. No real natural enemies other than cars and coyotes after the fawns.

But you must watch out for the mama's with kids. They will stomp on dogs when protecting nearby fawns. The larger does WILL NOT give away ground when I am metal detecting in the woods unless I used my small pocket boat air horn.

Some really big bucks, but never saw a fight.

I heard there are more deer in America now than when the country was founded. Someone said that is due to the loss of wolves and mountain lions.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Watched a couple fight during a hunt.
It was not the clash and brief fight that is most commonly portrayed , but a knock down and thrashing after long running battle.
I couldn't let go of the limb I was holding from my perch while watching!

Both were serious specimens but the one out powered the other.
When the subdued one broke to run , the other tried to get an antler in it's hind quarter by raking it.
Then paced back and forth while cooling down...
Glad I was not involved.

A buck came out recently while hunting with a battered rack. Not uncommon in recent trend. His neck was cut up both sides but he was recovering.
He followed scent from a doe and younger buck that had left cover earlier until he located them out in front of me.
Ran Jr. off , and after the doe demonstrated being non receptive , browsed briefly before heading on to a farther route to check for whatever he was after. Other doe most likely vs another buck to contend with.

Some after dark have been within feet of me unconcerned. A couple others during the rut in daylight close.
After seeing the one that weighed more than I get tossed around and pinned eventually , I'll avoid wrestling with one!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
back in my teens i was hunting with a buddy we were at a rocky ravine and i found a spot to stand , he took a trail heading to the top of the ravine i watched him walking to the top and on the other side a big buck was walking up . I wanted to shoot but using buckshot it was to far and didn't want to hit my buddy . they met at the top and the buck snorted and picked him up with his rack and tossed him over his head in a split second and just walked away .my buddy juumped up and yelled ...did you see that ! and i yelled back..I didn't see nuthin!!! he was a pretty big gut at 6' and 200 pounds .that was over 50 years ago and haven't seen anything like that since...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Smokey, you know me by now, I'm against killing any critter....

Just what do we tell OUR FATHER when the time comes?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread